Gibraltar cable car

Tell me about the cable car to the top of Gibraltar.  Is it safe?  Is there a long walk from the ship to the ticket office?  Worth buying the ticket ahead of time?

What else should I know about Gibraltar?

It's about a 30-minute walk from the ship,

Or a taxi ride. The driver may well try to persuade you to take a taxi tour to the upper Rock instead, and there are good reasons (below) why he may be right.

The cablecar is perfectly safe, I'm not aware of any serious incidents.

But one reason why it's safe is because the service is suspended (awful pun intended :classic_rolleyes:) in moderately high winds.

So when you get to the bottom station you may find no service.

The service is heavily used, mainly by day-trippers who come to Gib in coachloads from the Spanish coastal resorts, so you may find a very long line. 

If your ship docks around 8 to 9 am that shouldn't be a problem, the hordes don't arrive til gone 10am.

And there doesn't seem to be the same problem returning from the top, probably because a lot of folk choose to walk down.

The cablecar service starts at 9.30am every day.

In order to maximise throughput,  the cablecar service doesn't stop at the intermediate station, the apes den, between 1st April & 31st October.

This isn't a problem, because the upper apes den is just a 5 minute walk south from the top station.

A further 15 minutes walk south beyond that upper apes den (ie 20 mins from top station) is St Michael's cave.

The Great Siege Tunnels are a 25 minute walk north from the top station.

From there it's either 25 minutes back to the top station, or 35 minutes down to Main Street or 15 minutes down to the nearest bus stop, beyond the Moorish Castle.

By comparison, the taxi / van tours start at the cruise terminal, they include a photostop at the Jewish Memorial (southerly views of Morocco across the Straits), a stop at St Michael's cave (admission included, or simply enjoy the westerly views over the Bay of Algeciras & the Atlantic), a stop at the upper apes den (no admission charge, same westerly views and by climbing a dozen steps easterly views over the Mediterranean) and a stop at the Great Siege Tunnels (admission included, views over the airport and Spanish border). They end at your choice of Casemates Square (bottom of Main Street & a 20 minute walk to the ship) or directly back to the ship.

Cost of a two-way cablecar ride plus the cab fare plus admissions is in the same ballpark as the cost of a taxi/van tour, about £25.

Some folk prefer the freedom of DIY and hiking the upper Rock, so the cablecar makes sense.

Some, like JB are lazy, want to see it all, & prefer to take the all-in-one van tour.

Horses for courses.

But if you choose the cablecar, I suggest you get together with other like-minded folk and take a taxi or van from the cruise terminal - if the cablecar's not running or the line is too long, you can then stay in the vehicle & do the tour. The tour route passes close to the bottom station, so if you're occupying all the seats it shouldn't cost you more. 

When buying cablecar tickets in advance, you can't reserve a time. The website says you get  "access to the Fast Track ticket office window", but I don't know if that means you jump the line.

It's well worth wandering Main Street with its cafes, pubs, duty-free shops (be wary), and minor sights like the Governor's residence - and a little beyond the far end of Main Street the little Trafalgar cemetery, then - beyond the cablecar station - Alameda Botanic Gardens

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We found all cable car tickets booked. There were several large ships in port as well. We opted for a taxi tour ( not pre booked) with 2 other couples. We set out early and were quite happy with choice.  Cooler, less crowed and more freedom to explore. 

19 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

fly2themoon,

Do you remember what the taxi tour cost?  Did you pay in dollars, pounds, or credit card?  What about tipping here?

thanks

Fly2themoon will probably be more up-to-date but, as per my post, last year it was about £25 or equiv in euros, both currencies accepted (same as everywhere in Gib.), tho I doubt USD.

I don't know about plastic for the taxi tours. but certainly accepted most places.

Admissions included in the taxi tours, but not tips. £5 or €5 per couple would be fine, but like the rest of Europe it's not important like it is in the USA - and in the unlikely event of a poor tour there's no reason you should tip at all.

A little hint about plastic anywhere in Europe. DECLINE any offer to charge your card in USD. Keep it in local currency.

That way you can see that you're being charged what you've been quoted - and your card issuer will convert at wholesale exchange rates,  instead of the vendor giving you a lousy rate.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, John Bull said:

Admissions included in the taxi tours, but not tips. £5 or €5 per couple would be fineJB :classic_smile:

What would the proper amount be for a private three hour tour for three adults?  Is £10 too little?

4 hours ago, worldtraveller said:

What would the proper amount be for a private three hour tour for three adults?  Is £10 too little?

I reckon it there or thereabouts.

Think of it this way - usually about 8 people per trip, three trips per day, tips at that rate work out at £80 tips per day on top of profit (self-employed) / wages (employed driver).

But be guided by how much the driver added to your experience - brilliant give him a little more, poor give him zilch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, fly2themoon said:

We found all cable car tickets booked. There were several large ships in port as well. We opted for a taxi tour ( not pre booked) with 2 other couples. We set out early and were quite happy with choice.  Cooler, less crowed and more freedom to explore. 

On our many visits we simply walked (many would probably prefer a taxi) to the cable car station and waited in line for a few minutes to buy tickets.  Have never heard of the cable car being “booked.”  Our longest wait was probably about 30 min.  We also enjoy taking the cable car to the top station and the walking down to the mid station where we later board for the return to town.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, ssamom said:

Any good recommendations for a taxi tour of Gibraltar?  Has anyone used Inside/Rock tours?

Inside out tours (Carl Mesilio) are a tad more expensive than the general taxi tours but he is very professional and tailors the tour to the individual.  You can actually get a longer, more thorough, tour.  

Disclaimer:  Carl is not a personal friend, I have chatted with him whilst he has waited at the airport for passengers.   I have heard several people tell of good tours.  

On 7/19/2019 at 2:15 AM, Hlitner said:

On our many visits we simply walked (many would probably prefer a taxi) to the cable car station and waited in line for a few minutes to buy tickets.  Have never heard of the cable car being “booked.”  Our longest wait was probably about 30 min.  We also enjoy taking the cable car to the top station and the walking down to the mid station where we later board for the return to town.

Hank

Hank I have been by the cable car station when there were several large ships in port and there were queues way into the road.  I am not sure how quickly the queues move.