Nieuw Statendam Retreat Cabanas

ronj

Hi all! First time posting here on CC.

My wife and I are sailing on the Nieuw Statendam this coming December with another couple and wondering if the family cabana in the Retreat is large enough for 4 adults and what the interior configuration is like. Are there 4 lounges inside?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Absolutely not!  The family Retreat cabanas on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam are a disgrace!  They're barely bigger than a regular cabana, and contain 2 loungers and 2 small side chairs that are against the wall behind the 2 loungers.  Your best bet is to book 2 separate cabanas - one for each couple, and let HAL know you're together so they can be next to each other.

Sue/WDW1972

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

Absolutely not!  The family Retreat cabanas on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam are a disgrace!  They're barely bigger than a regular cabana, and contain 2 loungers and 2 small side chairs that are against the wall behind the 2 loungers.  Your best bet is to book 2 separate cabanas - one for each couple, and let HAL know you're together so they can be next to each other.

Sue/WDW1972

This is absolutely right!  We booked the family retreat on the Koningsdam, to share with our son and his wife.  What a laugh (not really!).  We could not all enjoy the space at one time.  We were furious, because the literature says it holds FOUR loungers.  Yes, I suppose it could …. as long as no PEOPLE try to get inside TOO!  They truly are a DISGRACE.   (And the price is the same as the LARGE family retreat cabanas on NA, Eurodam, Oosterdam, etc.)

Edited by ithaca gal
Punctuation

The thing I liked about the Family Cabana on the Koningsdam (sister ship) was that it had both a side and aft view so it was more spacious than a two-person cabana.  We found that we were very rarely all together so there was no problem with the two-lounger, two-chair, configuration.  Not everyone wants to sit on a lounger all the time.  

My guess is that the Family Cabanas are already gone as they sell out quickly.  When you call Ship Services ask them to configure two regular cabanas into one.  They can draw the curtain separator apart to turn it into a four-person.

Welcome to CC and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by *Miss G*

Thanks everyone! Your input is truly appreciated.

Miss G, did 4 adults share the family cabana on your cruise, or did you go with children?

43 minutes ago, ronj said:

Thanks everyone! Your input is truly appreciated.

Miss G, did 4 adults share the family cabana on your cruise, or did you go with children?

Yes, it was four adults.  My parents and my sister and I.  We really enjoyed the excellent service.  If we wanted shade we were in the cabana.  If we wanted some sun we used the loungers in the public (Retreat) space.  I was usually the first one up.  As soon as they saw me come in they had my coffee ready and then while I was enjoying that they would bring me my tomato juice.  I never had to ask.  After that they would bring me breakfast.  You don’t have to choose from the menus.  They will get whatever you ask for as long as it was possible.  (Sorry if you already know all this.) In the afternoon they would always come by to ask my parents if it was ice cream time because they noticed they had some one day.  My parents never had to lift a finger!  They were really lovely.

1 minute ago, ronj said:

Thanks Miss G! I’m wondering if HAL allows 4 adults cruising together on 2 separate stateroom reservations share a 4 person family cabana.

Yes they do.  I booked the Family Cabana for two separate rooms.  When I boarded I went straight to the Retreat to check in and told them the room number of the other cabin.  Once you do the check-in the first time they know who you are and welcome you back without asking again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...