Snorkeling

robindina

You will NOT find any shore snorkeling in Costa Maya on par with Money Bar or Sky Reef or northern end of Chankanaab.

All beaches along the malecon and south are sandy  bottoms.  There are ship excursions to Uvero Beach North of the cruise Port (only way to get there) which has some iron shore.

Off shore snorkeling is a different story.  Just off the coast is the northern end of the great barrier reef that extends up from Belize.  The dive shops along the malecon offer snorkeling as well.

There is "some" snorkeling at Blue Kay and it's not far out at all. It's very shallow and most places you can stand up in it. But, there are things to see. Check out my signature line and click on it and go down to my Blue Kay links. There's TONS of pictures, including the snorkeling they have there from the beach.

Also, Almaplena has a reef out in front of it that you can swim to. I personally didn't get to go there (hubby swam out a ways) because at the time we went, my daughter was too young and someone had to stay back and watch her. However, they will tell you there's a reef there in front of the hotel.