Mendenhall Glacier Transportation- One-Way

musik07

Hello,

On our day in Juneau we will be whale watching first thing in the morning. After that our tour operator offers drop off at either Mendenhall or the port. I would be very interested in stopping at Mendenhall for a few hours, however I am not sure about transportation back for two. My mom a bit older, and had a knee replacement so walking around the area and then back to the bus is out. What are our other affordable options for 2? It seems crazy to spend $90 on the bus for one way! 

Arrange for a cab, there are several companies that pick up I believe, the price is $35 each way is what I've read. We just got back from our cruise on Sunday and we took the city bus, it is at least a 2.5 mile walk from the entrance to the bus stop though, $2 each way and a 45 minute ride.

Edited by maui07

3 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Alaska Galore Tours told us they "did not have a permit" to drop us off at Mendenhall after the tour.   What is the real story on this?

Maybe they can drop you off about a 5 minute walk away. Ask them. Operators have to pay a surcharge to drop off right at the Glacier parking lot.

9 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We will be in the same position as you, so I would be very interested to hear what you do? How easy is it to arrange for a taxi to pick you up, when you are not sure what time you need to leave the Glacier Visitor Centre?

Taxis cannot pickup @ parking lot without surcharge. They can pickup 5 minute walk away. You can call them  when ready. We did this in May. Used Glacier taxi. Fare $38 to cruise dock.

The taxi drop off/pickup spot here here near the black SUV using Google Maps street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.4123564,-134.5450395,3a,75y,327.92h,63.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssWthuvC7I_rlH4xGmSfY8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

The Glacier Center is a 5 minute walk up the street. It's  third of a mile away.

Edited by rockfsh