Vegetarian/Indian food on Celebrity Solstice

LonelyTraveler

I will be cruising on the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska in July 2019, with my wife and kid, as well as my parents. My parents are vegetarian, and big fans of Indian food. I was wondering what does the Solstice have in terms of availability of Indian food? On previous cruises on Carnival/Princess, the buffet always had some Indian food options, and the MDR usually had unadvertised Vegetarian menus, which included Indian food.

Does the Celebrity Solstice have anything like the above? It is hard to tell from the restaurant descriptions on the Celebrity website or even the reviews on this site.

Yes, as a rule.

IME, if nothing is out, let the Assistant Manager know and at the next opening something will be available.

Also, usually in the MDR there is at least one entree on the vegetarian menu, Indian.

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 2

On the Reflection in December, I let the maître d’ know that I was a vegan, loved veggies and Indian food. Every night, I was served a delicious plate of vegetables, sauce and rice etc. by the end of the week three of the six of us were getting whatever the kitchen wanted to serve us.   There is also great Indian food on the buffet every day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dont worry about Vegetarian Indian food: Their had a dedicated Indian counter on the Solstice when we cruised it last December and as all the previous posts have said: Let them know your food preferences and their will go out of their way to fulfil them. 

• Like 1

We just returned from the Summit and we were in LOVE with the Indian food. We were extremely underwhelmed with the food in the main dining room and ended up eating the Indian food from the buffet most days. Although one thing that may have to do with the quality was the fact that the executive chef was Indian...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just returned from the Solstice and there was a variety of Indian food at the buffet every day. Not all of it was vegetarian, however. The soups in particular were fantastic. There was a tomato rasam that made our eyes water and sinuses clear- delicious! They had  There was a selection of vegan dishes (separate from the Indian food) as well. The MDR menu clearly indicated which dishes were vegetarian and Luminare had a vegetarian option as well.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the increase in offerings for special diets (vegetarian, vegan, lactose free, gluten free) on the Solstice as a whole as compared to five years ago. I have a true dairy allergy and was much more comfortable eating at the buffet this time around.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bbdscruise said:

Just returned from the Solstice and there was a variety of Indian food at the buffet every day. Not all of it was vegetarian, however. The soups in particular were fantastic. There was a tomato rasam that made our eyes water and sinuses clear- delicious! They had  There was a selection of vegan dishes (separate from the Indian food) as well. The MDR menu clearly indicated which dishes were vegetarian and Luminare had a vegetarian option as well.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the increase in offerings for special diets (vegetarian, vegan, lactose free, gluten free) on the Solstice as a whole as compared to five years ago. I have a true dairy allergy and was much more comfortable eating at the buffet this time around.

Did you disembark just today? If so, we were on the same cruise 😀, and yes, I agree... I was super impressed with the variety and quality of menu options at the buffet and in the MDR.

Edited by LonelyTraveler

52 minutes ago, LonelyTraveler said:

Did you disembark just today? If so, we were on the same cruise 😀, and yes, I agree... I was super impressed with the variety and quality of menu options at the buffet and in the MDR.

Yes we did! Trying to get our land legs (?) back and trying to figure out dinner as there is no food in the house- missing the buffet (and Luminare and room service and the MDR) already.

• Haha 1

Actually replying to my own topic, so that the detail may help future readers.

The Buffet in the Ocean View Cafe has an Indian station for every meal (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) with atleast 2 vegetarian curries, one meat dish, Indian breads (rotis, parathas, puris), rice/khichdi and assorted accompaniments like raita, Indian pickles, chutneys etc. For every breakfast, there also used to be a big pot of masala tea at the station.

One of the nights, the buffet had a "Taste of India" theme, where the in focus cuisine was Indian food. There were 4 vegetarian curries and 3 meat curries with naans and pulav rice. And the desserts - Carrot halwa, Shahi tukda, Kheer, Sheera, coconut barfi. And then a couple of meails had Vegetable Biryani and Chicken Biryani (the chicken biryani was amongst the best I have ever eaten!)

In the MDR, there was a special Indian menu every night, with Indian appetizers (samosas, pakodas, rasam soup), two-three curries (vegetarian/meat based) and an Indian dessert. 

Short answer - there is Indian food available, as much as you can eat, and good quality too!!! My family had a whale of a time!

• Like 1

Celebrity has a full vegetarian menu...you can ask for it in blu or the mdr.  Our experience is that the Indian buffet offerings are quite good, other than the breads.

most cruises also offer an indian specialty restaurant dinner at some point during the cruise.  It’s quite good although you will find many of the dishes served on different days during your cruise.