Ovation to Alaska 6/7-6/14 Sailing *Live Review*

The Royal IQ app when I open it up on my iPhone says Available On Board:

Harmony of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas

Ovation of the Seas

Quantum of the Seas

Another screen says Royal IQ works without an internet connection on board ship.

If you're on board, to to the device's WiFi Settings and select "royal-wifi"

Is the outdoor pool area pretty empty?  How cool is it out there?  Is the indoor pool area packed?

Been on the Ovation in warmer climates.  Getting on the sailing following yours.  Wondering how it will be different?

1 hour ago, nnfham said:

The Royal IQ app when I open it up on my iPhone says Available On Board:

Harmony of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas

Ovation of the Seas

Quantum of the Seas

Harmony changed to the RCI app late last year. 

Edited by Biker19

39 minutes ago, Family9Osheap said:

Is the outdoor pool area pretty empty?  How cool is it out there?  Is the indoor pool area packed?Wondering how it will be different?

Not much of a crowd at the outdoor pool once it drops into the 60s which is normal for many days in Alaska. The indoor one will be crowded. 

14 hours ago, Family9Osheap said:

Thinking there will not be as many young folks on Alaska cruise as there is on Carribean, etc. ones.  How are the Flowrider lines?  How often is it open?

there were rides times daily on our May 24th cruise.  My son and husband rode daily with low wait times.  Our coldest day was in Seattle and they were both shivering in the wait line but water was warm when they were riding.

16 hours ago, Family9Osheap said:

Thinking there will not be as many young folks on Alaska cruise as there is on Carribean, etc. ones.  How are the Flowrider lines?  How often is it open?

We have a lot of kids on this cruise, and from what I understand, that is somewhat normal.   We have been by Flowrider a few times when it was open and there were bo lines and only a few people there.   Generally it seems to be open about 2 hours at a clip a few times a day.

16 hours ago, Family9Osheap said:

What stores are on the ship for shopping?

There is a RCI branded store, and Alaska store, several jewelry stores, Kate Spade, Cartier and more.  I’ll try to get a full list.

Just pulling into Skagway!  Yesterday we had a beautiful day in Juneau.  Another unseasonably warm sunny day.  T-shirt weather.  We docked at the closest spot so, we literally walked right into the middle of town.  There were 3 other ships in port and I will say it was crowded but not horrible.  My husband and I booked a private fishing charter so we were gone most of the day.

Someone we met on land asked if we had crazy lines on the ship, as previous cruisers had complained.  We have not experienced that at all on the boat.  

One thing of note, as I mentioned did not purchase a drink package as we both are water drinkers.  You can use refillable water bottles for water ONLY in the coke machines!  There is plenty of water in all the food spots on the ship, as well as lemonade, iced tea, coffee and hot tea options.  

Sorrentos does have Gluten Free Pizza!  And they have a few “salad” options if you don’t feel like pizza.  Tomato mozzarella salad, a beet one and more.  My husband likes the pizza and I can’t wait to try a GF one.  

The staff are all wonderful, friendly and helpful.   I have heard nothing but the same compliments from my fellow cruisers.  

Voom is doing pretty good this trip.  I can’t get pics to load here, but can on FB. 

One last note, Alaska has not disappointed!  It is stunning.  Yesterday as we docked in Juneau, we could see bald eagles, waterfalls and more.

On a room note, we are on the starboard side of the ship, room 10716.  And the views have been awesome!  Its a little bit of a walk to the elevator, but its quiet.  

Can you ask if you can purchase transfers to the airport on the ship and how much they are?  Also, are they offering the program where they take your luggage and deliver directly to the airline your flying and what is the cost?

Also - thank you for answering my question concerning show reservations, I very much appreciate your help.

Have a great rest of your cruise!!

34 minutes ago, malakie said:

Can you ask if you can purchase transfers to the airport on the ship and how much they are?  Also, are they offering the program where they take your luggage and deliver directly to the airline your flying and what is the cost?

Also - thank you for answering my question concerning show reservations, I very much appreciate your help.

Have a great rest of your cruise!!

We were on the first glacier cruise May 13-24, 2019. We used the Port Valet and it is free. Worked perfectly for us on Southwest! You must request it in writing to Guest Services (there is a form) by the deadline listed. Also, not all airlines participate. Transfers to SEA-TAC were $26.99 per person for our family. 

Edited by CruiszBug

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

We were on the first glacier cruise May 13-24, 2019. We used the Port Valet and it is free. Worked perfectly for us on Southwest! You must request it in writing to Guest Services (there is a form) by the deadline listed. Also, not all airlines participate. Transfers to SEA-TAC were $26.99 per person for our family. 

Edited by malakie
Trying to delete - didn’t mean to copy this at all and I did it 3 times.

We purchased it a week before, but my TA indicated it could be done onboard. But honestly, if I had to do it again, it was easy peasy to just walk off the ship and a ton of taxis/shuttles were available to book. There are people working for the port who were hailing cabs for different sized parties.

The meter total for our cab was about $50 (for 3 of us) when we arrived at the airport (~30 mins). We ended up not taking the shuttle because we scheduled a transfer with a wheelchair lift, but none were available. So they put us in a wheelchair accessible taxi paid for by RCCL. I imagine Uber and Lyft were also an option for a ride?

Edited by CruiszBug

In regards to Uber and Lyft: gotta cruise again posted on 06.04.2018:

Did Uber at Pier 91 yesterday, 6/3/18. Easy walk from front of terminal to the new ride-share area but shuttles are also available if you prefer.

Wonderful experience!! Well organized!! Little covered area with some folding chairs. Guy announces who has a car coming up! We ordered out XL, he drove up, the 4 of us with carry-on bags only (2 wheeled bags, 5 other smaller duffles/totes) hopped in for the $26 ride to airport (tip added later). Ride was a Lexus too. Soooooo much better experience than the tiny, $40 cabs. Highly recommend and kudos to the port for implementing this easy way to find your Uber or Lyft ride...probably easier to find this ride than if you were being picked up by your own family member!!