Ovation to Alaska 6/7-6/14 Sailing *Live Review*

We set sail tomorrow, and it was so helpful to have so many questions answered and get an insiders view that I will do my absolute best to do the same while we are cruising.

Please note - Our sailing is a chartered sailing, so we do not have access to certain things (ie: The Key, Upgrades etc).  Also, we are lowly on the RCL totem pole, so we will not have any perks.  My husband and I did not purchase any dining or drink packages, but others in our group of 6 did, so I can try to help.  We have 2 excursions booked - Juneau we will be fishing, Skagway - Green Jeep tour.  All 6 of us are on the 10th level - we are room 716, and the other two rooms are in the same hall.  All outside balcony doubles.

I've already been asked to get info/comment about embarkation tomorrow, and plan to do that.  If there is anything else you'd like to know, feel free to comment!  

• Like 4

Following as well. We have 9 of us on the June 21st. We will be driving to the port so any information on the embarkation would be helpful. Also we will have three kids sailing with us. I know a lot of threads have been mostly adults but any information on the kids club would be great. 

Have a great time and can't wait to see your post.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions for us! 🙂

We will be on the June 28 sailing.  If possible, would love your feedback on the following:

1. How far is the ship docked from town in Juneau and Skagway? We have elderly in our party that have trouble walking long distance. Any shuttles to take passengers to town if the ship is docked remotely?

2. Any problem with getting Uber/Lyft or taxi at disembarkation in Seattle?

3. How long does the ship spend at the glacier? How close to the glacier can we get?

4. Heard the Voom is not reliable. Is it worth getting in your opinion?

Hope you have a wonderful time! I look forward to seeing your posts.  🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Wow, all 4,900 passengers?

Yes!  Young Living Essential Oils has the entire boat chartered.  

We flew in last night, stayed at the Courtyard Marriott SouthCenter which has a free airport shuttle.  We purposely chose this hotel because it is next to a Total Wine!  We will grab our 2 bottles per room there.  Hotel is showing its wear but was comfortable.  Breakfast is not included, but they have some nice options.  Lots of healthy choices too.  

For transportation to the cruise port we booked with Seattle Express.  They will pick is up at 9:45am, and it was about $17 pp.  They have great reviews and came highly recommended.  AAA discount too!

We flew out of Newark direct on United! Here is a shot from the runway.

B8634935-E553-4D0E-9437-4F793F79476C.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kelbell said:

Following as well.

Please let us know what time your thinking of disembarking?

will you be using Seattle express then? (thank you for that tip I

am googling right now)

Our flight home is not until Sunday, so we are planning to stay on the ship as late as possible then grab Shuttle Express (Seattle Express doesn’t service our return trip hotel) to our hotel.  Hoping it won’t be so crazy crowded.

Embarkation for us could not have gone smoother.  Seattle Express picked us up at the hotel at 9:45 am.  They offer an amazing service and we got to see a lot of downtown Seattle on our way to the port.  We got dropped off right by a bag drop.  Dropped our bags and walked right into the terminal past the line of folks right in front of the building trying to check bags.  We were through security and check in and on the boat by 11:30, so just about 40 minutes from when we got dropped off.  The porter did say he was surprised it was not too crowded so they were expecting a rush later.  

We headed right to Two70.  Perfect spot to relax for awhile, grab food etc.

Rooms were ready at 1, all our luggage was waiting for us!

Cell/internet service basically dies when you board.  Cell service was okay, but internet was junk.  So far Voom is pretty decent.  Slow, but it works.

Tonight was dinner in Windjammer as we were exhausted from travel and time change.

Edited by CMcJones
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, malakie said:

Please verify you don't have to make show reservations.  We will be on June 21st.  First, time Alaska cruise, can't wait!!  Thank you.

Prior we could only book Pixels.  Once on board you can make all the reservations you wish in the RoyalIQ app or in person.  You do not have to have them but you will have to wait until those that did fill in seats first.