Explorer Seven Seas Suite

We are thinking of a Seven Seas Suite on the Explorer.  I remember discussion about it but can’t seem to bring it up with the search function.  Cabin offered is 801.  Would appreciate any input.  Thanks.

We stayed in the Seven Seas Suite 802 on our last cruise which was a trans-Atlantic from Cape Town to Rio.  While there are some issues to be aware of, but we enjoyed it and would do it again.  The forward bedroom and bathroom wall is slanted and the bedroom TV hangs off of that wall, we managed to hit our heads on it a couple of times.  Because of the suite’s position in front, and directly under the bridge, you must keep the bedroom and bathroom curtains down and the veranda door curtains closed after dark.  That wasn’t a problem for us, and you could go out on the veranda after dark if you kept lights off.

The main issue that’s talked about is that at the front of the ship the veranda is very windy, and if there are strong winds, the cabin crew won’t even set up the veranda (they tie everything down and store all of the cushions in the evenings.  However, we used the veranda most days – there is a couch and a lounge chair and if you’re laying down, you are somewhat protected from the winds.  We enjoyed the veranda and liked being able to look out from the front of the ship, but I know others have not.  You can also get noise from the anchor being lowered and raised, but we’re early risers and it never bothered us.  We also did not feel the ships motion any more than in other mid-ship suites we have stayed in.  I’ll caveat that with the fact that we had a very smooth crossing and never had any heavy seas. 

P1020108.JPG

P1020114.JPG

P1020118.JPG

Thank you Eno -Bob for the very helpful input and photos.  I had been searching the internet looking for photos of that suite and couldn’t find any.  It was very frustrating until you came along.  My biggest concern was the balcony.  We love to be outdoors. It was hard to tell how far the metal went around the balcony.

Unfortunately we had to make the decision early today and made the switch to a D category that we are familiar with.

We greatly appreciate your detailed info.

Ann

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2019 at 5:09 PM, Eno-Bob said:

"you must keep the bedroom and bathroom curtains down and the veranda door curtains closed after dark" 

"go out on the veranda after dark if you kept lights off."

Why? Is this a ship requirement or for privacy?

PaulJC

Just now, SusieQft said:

What if someone is out on the balcony when they lock the door?

I guess the surveillance camera around the bridge will double check first.

Or perhaps it is not automatic but the cabin steward will lock it during the turn down service.

Below is a reference for a forward-facing cabin on Princess Cruises.

11 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Why? Is this a ship requirement or for privacy?

As others have mentioned, this is to keep the cabin or deck lights on forward facing cabins from interfering with night vision on the bridge.  Your butler will explain the requirements and the steward will close all the drapes in the evening. 

• Like 1