anyone used the Internet on Britannia whilst in the fiords.

Hi everyone,

we usually have the Internet on cruises ( yes... really sad I know but we like it, and our grandson likes to keep in touch ).. but whilst the Internet package looks reasonable we wondered if the fiords themselves made reception poor and / or erratic. 

So wondered if anyone could advise us if they have tried this and how it worked for them.

many thanks in advance.

Yes the internet was poor or not available in the fjords so my son said when in port and parts of the fjords tether off your phone..you can use the ship satellite connection which still has problems in the fjords. My son every time looking at the final bill says he would not take the ship internet....Wait till you can get a connection for your roaming charge..cheaper than the phone package.

15 hours ago, HopingForFun333 said:

Hi everyone,

we usually have the Internet on cruises ( yes... really sad I know but we like it, and our grandson likes to keep in touch ).. but whilst the Internet package looks reasonable we wondered if the fiords themselves made reception poor and / or erratic. 

So wondered if anyone could advise us if they have tried this and how it worked for them.

many thanks in advance.

I have just come back from a week in the fjords and with the exception of the two sea days in the middle of the north sea the signal on my phone was strong in all ports and for a great deal of time sailing down the fjords.

I didnt find the ships internet reasonable at all and stay away from the ships satellite communication, if your phone links to that then your looking at a huge bill.

Check your phone contract it should allow you roaming in Europe. I was able to use my phone as much as I needed to keep in contact with the exception of the two sea days, so if you can manage two seperate days out of contact just use your phone

On 6/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, HopingForFun333 said:

Hi everyone,

many thanks in advance.

Yes, internet and even tv reception can be poor when travelling up in the fjords.  Do what the crew do,  and wait till you disembark in port and use the internet spots that are there. Enjoy the fjords!

On 6/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, HopingForFun333 said:

Hi fastnloose,

thanks for the advice.. looking forward to our holiday ( with or without the internet ).

thanks again

HopingForFun333, we go to the fjords once or twice a year for many years,   as we love it.  We also now have local friends in the ports we link up with.  If we can be of any help or advice, feel free to ask.