Flight Times

KC12

We are on NCL Epic Barcelona August 25-Sept 1. We arrive 5AM, I have seen post that state people had to be off by 7:30.

Would a 10:30 flight out of Barcelona be doable/

It is on Delta and I have elite status.

Thank you in advance for any input. Coming in early so already staying extra days.

We were on the Epic out of Barcelona last October.   We were going back to the states via Toronto on Air Canada and had an 11:45 am departure.   The ship docked at 5am and a lot of passengers were off by 5:30 am.  It only took about 10 minutes to get through the pier terminal to the outside where the taxis were waiting. 

The Barcelona airport was a mad house.  I would suggest getting to the airport sooner rather than later since there are many check-points to go through.  And in our case, the airline counter did not open until exactly 2 hours prior to our 11:45 am departure.   I hope the people at the end of the lines did not have early flights. 

I am attaching the debarkation instructions we received which should be similar to what you will receive.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

We had a 10:30 am flight on our October '18 Celebrity Eclipse cruise on Delta.

We did our own taxi transfer to the airport. We carried our bags to the designated disembarkation area in the ship and were off the ship at 6 am. We caught a taxi costing 39€ for the two of us to the airport. We waited almost an our for Delta to open up their counter area. So we had plenty of time.

The only area of concern is in the VAT tax refund line. We went over to the VAT tax area and the line we huge. We didn't make that many purchases so our refund was small. Do your homework on the VAT tax refund process to see what options you have. That area is before the security line so you can't rush to your gate. If you make large purchases that Value Added Tax is 25% so it can be a very large refund. 

I am a little confused by the thread.  The last time we were in Spain the VAT tax was 21%!  But keep in mind that your refund (assuming that you do meet the requirements) will actually be something less because of how it is calculated.  For example assume you buy something for 100€ that qualifies.  Your actual refund (if you go through the hassles) will be about 17€ because the actual base price of your 100€ is about 83€ (to which the 21% VAT tax had been applied.

Personally we have not often bothered to go through the scheme on relatively small amounts (the minimum is actually close to 100€.  We have known folks to stand in line at BCN (and other airports) for over an hour to save about $20.  Some would put a higher value on their time :).  If the line is short then go for it...otherwise you might want to eat the cost.

Hank

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

The only area of concern is in the VAT tax refund line. We went over to the VAT tax area and the line we huge. We didn't make that many purchases so our refund was small. Do your homework on the VAT tax refund process to see what options you have. That area is before the security line so you can't rush to your gate.

Last June we were given forms by the ship for a purchase made on the Epic to request the VAT refund by mail.  (They might have these forms at the VAT refund kiosk at the airport so you wouldn't have to wait in line.)   Your form has to be stamped by customs before it is valid. 

https://www.globalblue.com/

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Thanks 1

Good info on the VAT refund Kokopelli-az.

BTW, the VAT tax was 21% not 25% in my original post. 

I was told the same before our cruise. I went to the Guest Relations counter on the Eclipse and asked them for the VAT refund form. They sent us to a jewelry shop on the Eclipse for the form as they had no forms (they said they never had any). We went to the jewelry shop as directed and they didn't have any form either. They told us to go to the VAT refund counter at the Barcelona airport. That line was very long so we ate the tax which wasn't much.

Bottom line, research options for the VAT refund so you get what is deserved.  

Edited by WallyNDiane