Penthouse or Verandah?

Camillus112

We are looking to book a short 7 day Caribbean cruise in February 2020.  We have traveled SB several times in Verandah suites.  This would be an anniversary cruise and I was thinking maybe we should upgrade to a Penthouse.  However, we are wondering if the upgrade is cost/justifiable on such a short cruise.  I would appreciate comments, especially from those of you who have cruised SB on Penthouses on short cruises.  Are the differences notable, and very special?  What would you select and why?

We chose the Penthouse Suite for our two Seabourn cruises on the Encore & Ovation.  The former was 11 days & later was 2 weeks.  We enjoyed it very much because we prefer the bed separated from the lounge area.  The bed is enclosed with two walls & two glass walls/doors with drapes that can be closed for privacy.  My husband tends to stay up a bit later to watch a movie or the news.....therefore, I can close the door and draw the drapes and not hear the TV.   I think that is the only difference in the cabin set up.  I suspect the Veranda suites are similar but with just drapes to separate the sleeping from lounging areas.  

Cece, I am assuming that the PS has two TV sets; one can be seen from the couch, and another while in bed.  Is this correct?  Last time we were in a V6 (#825 in the Odyssey) and we had only one set that pivoted both areas. It was a smallish set and we could not see well from either point.  TV is important for us...we always watch before falling asleep no matter how much fun after dinner and show.

We usually have a verandah but got an upgrade to a PH on our Sojourn cruise in December. There are two televisions in the PH set up. We enjoyed the extra space, the second WC and the layout of the bathroom and walk-in-wardrobe with two entry points. Only upgrade we have ever had so it was a lovely surprise.

We then cruised a few days later on Ovation after disembarking Sojourn. As I was celebrating a big number birthday and Seabourn sent us a good upgrade offer for an Owner's suite prior to us boarding Ovation my husband took the offer. It was felt bigger and roomier as you expect then the PH on Sojourn. 

I mention this because we visited friends who had a PH on Ovation and we noticed the layout felt roomier than the one on Sojourn. We decided it was the different lounge suite as the Sojourn one had a longer "L" shape, which was superfluous. Also the coffee table was bigger and took up more room than necessary. We concluded if we upgraded again on Ovation we would be very happy to just take the PH suite. 

We have other cruises booked but are back in Verandahs as we like to sail more often 😊. However for a special event it was a nice treat...as long is the price is okay.

Julie

Yes....on Ovation & Encore PH suites have two TVs.  I can’t speak to the smaller ships as we have not sailed them yet.  One note....the PH on the newer ships actually have three sinks.  Two in the main part of the bathroom and another in the private commode area.  That was amazing. 

Edited by cece50

Thanks so much for the replies.  The cruise would be in the Odyssey, so I assume would be similar to the Sojourn.  Unfortunately, only the Wind and the Odyssey seem to be doing the Caribbean next year.  

I did two back to back one weekers on the Odyssey in 2015 in a PH suite  with a friend.

There was no extra service beyond the basic excellent stewardess service then, e.g. no special PH canapes, no butler, no assistance with dining reservations or spa.

I did not like the closed off claustrophobic bedroom setup but if u need a separate space due to different bedtimes, or other reasons, u might like it.  I had gotten the PH with a two bed setup because I knew I would be up later than my friend and thought that would work.

But the couch in the living room was so hard I did not want to sit on it ( even with ten — yes ten — down pillows under me, as I had not brought my thermarest that trip, I have a princesa and pea picture my friend took). So I lay on the bed with a topper the stewardess brought, but then I could not easily see out to the sea. I have since then passed up PH upgrade offers, not worth it, is worse than a Veranda for my needs.

The closet was very big, and had lots of storage everywhere, as was the balcony and the bathroom had a nice tub.  The  table in the PH was big and with freestanding  with real dining chairs, more than needed unless we were to have company.

The PH was also high on deck 11 so it was harder to see the water, as I like seeing it from the bed

With DH we were later happy in a low veranda on Quest and Odyssey, close to the bow hot tub DH likes, , and though the small TV is sad and awkward, we usually stare at our ipads and computers with DH’s pictures instead of the TV  anyway in the evening, other than for a rare movie.

Being in one veranda room also forced us to be tidier.

But to compare,  I did like the PH on Europa 2, one bigger room, spacious feeling, comfortable couches, luxury bath with jacuzzi and colored lights, TV in the  mirror so I could set it on bridge view of ocean.  So I have nothing against the right PH, but the Odyssey class on SB just was not it for me, especially for the price.

We love the penthouses, imho they are a vast improvement on the balconies. My husband is very tall and the space makes a massive difference to us. I also much prefer the location for observation lounge. I guess everyone is different,but i have to think twice about booking a veranda now,as we have a much more comfortable cruise in a PH, and also if you book at the right time there are enhanced obc's and free wifi, but I don't think you would get this on an upgrade. We also find the steward/ess more professional and helpful, than those in the smaller rooms.

You all have been very helpful.  We just arrived from cruising Crystal in a Penthouse and loved it!  There were many amenities attached to it, inclusive of a most efficient and pleasant butler.  The suite was very spacious, and I had the most comfortable vanity with excellent lighting.  Since we would not need, nor probably like, the enclosed space on the Odyssey PH, and there being no special amenities ensured, we will opt to be bothered by the small, awkward TV set and enjoy the Odyssey V suite.  Thanks for all your input!!

I think the size of the verandah rooms is fine for a Caribbean cruise. I suggest using the money you would have spent on the penthouse  on some awesome shore excursions and first class flights to and from the cruise.

• Like 1