Using crutches on Celebrity Alaska cruise

Hi all.  I reviewed many of the threads here and didn't see a lot about using crutches on the ship.  Will be having surgery late August but determined to go on my Alaska cruise in late July/Early August so will have crutches.  I can walk fine with crutches, just no marathon lengths.  I have a foldable cane to keep in my backpack for excursions if no room for crutches, or if short distance on a good day...Not as easy to walk, but doable.

Several questions for those of you with experience: 

Embarkation in Seward - how far is it to walk from the curb to the ship?  Is it far enough I should be looking for wheelchair assistance? 

Same question for disembarkation in Vancouver.

Any advice for onboard with crutches?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

It has been several years since I last used crutches. That said, the main problem will be that the ship will be moving under your feet. I found walking on the ship exponentially more difficult on the ship than on flat ground. I've been to Alaska but never boarded in Seward.

I did the Caribbean in a walking boot and I stumbled everywhere. Even the minor movements of the ship had me tripping. I would assume it would be the same on crutches. Also, I had a lot of trouble getting up the ramps on and off the ship. I can't even imagine doing that on crutches. 

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, 2016firstcruise said:

Hi all.  I reviewed many of the threads here and didn't see a lot about using crutches on the ship.  Will be having surgery late August but determined to go on my Alaska cruise in late July/Early August so will have crutches.  I can walk fine with crutches, just no marathon lengths.  I have a foldable cane to keep in my backpack for excursions if no room for crutches, or if short distance on a good day...Not as easy to walk, but doable.

Embarkation in Seward - how far is it to walk from the curb to the ship?  Is it far enough I should be looking for wheelchair assistance? 

Buy a transport wheel chair for less than $100 and have your husband push, when you need it!    Look, there is no real advice because everyone is different.  We own two scooters (one for travel, one for the home), a transport chair, a regular wheelchair, and my wife walks with two crutches.  Never had an issue on any international cruise all over the world which includes Asia and Europe.  As far as wheelchair assistance, it would depend on if you want to wait a long time for help, or just walk.  You still need to walk on the ship, so it's not really much of help.  So if you think you can't walk the distances, bring/purchase your own push chair. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 11:16 PM, 2016firstcruise said:

The last time I was in Seward it was getting off, and i thought it was too far with a rollator!  

When i I first embarked there the surrounding area, near the port was reasonably flat.  I thought it was a bit closer access, and iirc there is never more than one ship in at a time.   

From Vancouver the distance was close but I had had an asthma attack because of smoking being drawn into the area where we caught the bus so I definitely required wheelchair assist.  I’d recommend it for all boarding as the ramps can double back or be steep.  With the assist on, you may wait but you won’t be exhausted. 

As for crutches on a ship, hmmmm, I’ve had people who wanted my walker because they were having trouble walking due to high seas.  You aren’t in the Atlantic all of the time so you shouldn’t have as much high seas, but even 4 hours can be too much. 

If you arent having knee knee surgery have you considered a knee scooter?  They are manual but keep you off your foot etc