Acceptable clothing for excursions in China?

CocaColaCruiser

the best thing is linen or 100% cotton short sleeved shirts (not tanks or camisoles), with long flowy skirts--or rayon travel dresses--like the ones from Travelsmith catalog. shorts are hotter than skirts. jeans are too hot and to informal. bring a sweater for airconditioned buildings. keeping the waist free is also cooling. wear sandals. no hose. a good sun hat.

from an old hong kong hand

Women should wear skirts, according to my friend who has visited China. Toilets frequently are just holes in the ground.

Roberta

I have been to China 30-40 times and unless you are really in the country, Western toilet facilities are most common. The major cities are fairly casual unless you are going to concerts, fine dining or business meeting, slacks, comfortable skirts/dresses are fine. Shanghai is perhaps slightly more upscale than other cities but still you should not be concerned about dress.

bb

I would wear whatever is comfortable (except showing excessive bare skin - you can get a feel up in crowded places). Like t-shirts, cotton pants/shorts, and sneakers are fine. The problem with wearing delicate shoes or sandals is loose pebbles or dirt areas, like parts of the Great Wall and even some sidewalk. Always plenty of building, street, and sidewalk construction in China.

Make sure you secure your money & passport (plenty of pickpockets in tourist areas). Some of the pickpockets are dressed pretty decent and you would not have a clue that you lost your belongings.

Have a wonderful time. We enjoyed our family cruise to China and etc. in 2002.

In my opinion, conservative dress is the wise way to go. I would not wear shorts and would not wear anything that would mark me--anymore than I already am--as a tourist.

To secure money, credit cards, and passport, I recommend a neck pouch that can be placed under your clothes on your chest. No way a pickpocket is going to get that!

I recommend walking shoes and not scandels or any other type of casual shoes. One does much walking on tours in China and comfortable footwear is a must.

I slightly disagree with Littleton2 about restroom facilities. Usually, in most areas frequented by Western tourists, one can find a Western-style toilet. But, there may be only one of that type available. I do recall one place I visited where there were only the Eastern type facilities available.

Take Purell or some type of hand sanitizer with you, too.

China is a great place to visit! Enjoy your trip.

I agree about being conservative. However, I take that to mean no thongs, no underwear type clothing on the outside, etc. Shorts and a t-shirt/polo/blouse is fine. Don't worry about being seen as a tourist. Whether you wear long pants or not, you will be seen as one. I'm Chinese and you can tell the mainlanders from the non-mainlanders just from facial features alone. Hair cut, clothing style, accent, etc only make it more obvious. They like tourists anyways cuz they've got money so it's not like you'll be treated especially bad or anything.

It's gonna be hot and humid. Real smoggy too unless you're out in the country. So, just dress for comfort. Don't worry about it too much. Dress how you would if you went on an excursion to Mexico or the Caribbean (tropical clothing might look a little out of place, but it's not too big a deal).

I toured China with my neice in July. Wear CONSERVATIVE clothing, no bare skin, It is HOT in the summer......take or buy an umbrella to protect you from the sun especially when touring the forbidden city, etc. places that are all concrete or paving - sun reflection is HOT. You can buy an umbrella off the street for $1.00.......get one, it is worth it! wear very comfortable walking shoes, tours have lots of walking on uneven ground.

regardless of what your tour operator might say, buy the souveniers from the guys on the street.....they are a lot cheaper than in the buildings.

BUT bargain with them.....BARGAINING is a MUST in China, they will start out at 3-4 times what they really want. Pearls are a great price IF you don't get them from a "government owned store".

First off, know that it will be hot. Take bottled water with you wherever you go and drink plenty of it.

Conservative dress is a matter of opinion and it changes as you travel to different parts of the country. Do not wear any clothing that could be mistaken for underware as outerwear. A light cotton top, with short sleeves would be requested for visits to religious shrines. Sleeveless, but not a tank top, is OK elsewhere. Short-shorts with your butt hanging out is not OK. Regular bermuda walking shorts are OK. "Smart Casual" is appropriate for evening or special events. Very comfortable shoes and an umbrella (available just about anywhere for about $1 USD) for the sun are a must. Paper product are in short supply throughout China. Do not assume TP will be available in the restrooms. Even if it appears to be a fancy restaurant. Always carry a supply with you.

The ship tour will likely take you to places where tourists are a common sight and won't draw any notice. The further into the interior you go, the more likely you are to stop traffic while people stop and stare. (six foot blond white women were not a common site in Jiande) Our party began to remark that we now knew how the animals must feel in the zoo.

Enjoy!

When we toured China a few years ago for 3 weeks, we saw a variety of clothing. Our guide for 3 days in Bejing said all you needed in Bejing was a pair of sandals, shorts and a t-shirt; but then his goal was to get to New York and make $120,000/yr. Women are conservatily dressed. Because of the heat Chinese men often wear their shirts rolled up, or go without. This is "low-class" in China and one paper was publishing pictures of the men with their shirts rolled up or no shirts at all; in the big cisties. I still think of China as having the most aggressive vendors. Usually any tour has to stop at least at one gov't authorized store/factory where they will seek to sell you their goods. They get you in and shut the door behind you and a different way out. But I would go back again.

Archived