Problems with web check in

erber

We booked a short cruise on MSC departing February 18, 2020 just to try it out. It is a long way off, but I figured I would do the web check in now. I am unable to ever get the web check in to work. I keep getting an error message saying "too many redirects." Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried 3 different browsers on my desktop, my iPad and my phone. Nothing works. Obviously we have loads of time to sort it out, but it is disconcerting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you so much. It worked. I was able to input all our information.

Too funny...after I did the web check in I received an email with another copy of our booking information and a "link" to do web check in... that link also does not work!

So, thank you again for your help. Clearly, MSC needs to work on their website to insure all their links are active and work properly.

Edited by erber

I heard MSC customer service is not wonderful so I figured I try trusted cruise critic to see if it could be solved before trying to call MSC. I don't know what I'd do without all the valuable information and input from cruise critic participants. Now I just have to remember not to log in to print my e -tickets 20 days before the cruise ( which isn't until February!)

I get the same problem/issue - "Too many redirects" (this is on the German site) 

I too found the main link works, but only if you do not sign in to your account, however I am unable to continure the web-check-in because I am unable to select a county or city for my country, my selected country spawns an empty list for me to choose these from and as the list is empty I cannot choose any - but they are compulsory fields so I cannot complete the check-in! 

Very frustrating! I have contaced all the customer support emails I could find as this is the only way to score some free 100 points - I know I can check-in the old fashioned way at the cruise terminal but hey.......

I also find I cannot print out my e-ticket as it says I have not completed the personal data entry - which is not true - I have filled in everything and there are no more boxes to fill in.... luckily for me my travel agent sent me the docs.... 

Edited by GazZebo

I had the same problem, GazZebo.  In addition to having to complete all the information, you also must upload the required photograph of yourself, and then it will show that you have completed the check in.  Once all parties in your room show complete information, then you can print the e-ticket.

9 minutes ago, lexxfield said:

I had the same problem, GazZebo.  In addition to having to complete all the information, you also must upload the required photograph of yourself, and then it will show that you have completed the check in.  Once all parties in your room show complete information, then you can print the e-ticket.

Photo? I saw nothing in web check in requesting a photo upload. I am on u.s. site if that makes a difference.

Edited by erber

I used the USA site as well.  Be sure to access web check-in from the home page before you sign in.  The section requesting a photograph upload is the last step in the check-in prcess. The page does allow you to skip the photograph, but if you skip this step, your check-in will show incomplete.

My web check in shows completed and no photograph was ever asked for. The check in page also says that our e tickets won't be available until final payment is made. We are going on a Bahamas cruise so perhaps that is why no photograph is needed. Our final payment is not due until November so I guess we will find out for sure if we can print our documents after that date.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, erber said:

Photo? I saw nothing in web check in requesting a photo upload. I am on u.s. site if that makes a difference.

It has asked us towards end last two trips for photo.  It does allow you to skip.  It would be nice like DCL they use a recent trip photo and skip all together but MSC can't get even basic edocs to work.

31 minutes ago, erber said:

My web check in shows completed and no photograph was ever asked for. The check in page also says that our e tickets won't be available until final payment is made. We are going on a Bahamas cruise so perhaps that is why no photograph is needed. Our final payment is not due until November so I guess we will find out for sure if we can print our documents after that date.

Our cruise is July 1 on Armonia. Ours never asked for a photo either... We went through every page, didn't skip anything!

2 minutes ago, lexxfield said:

I wonder if the photograph requirement is specific to particular ships.  We will be sailing on the Seaside next week.

nope they will still take your photo at the check in anyway

23 hours ago, lexxfield said:

Thanks for that info - but i don't get that far due to not being able to fill in the compulsory fields for the address section - city and county (my country doesn't use these in the address and I cannot enter anything here)

37 minutes ago, GazZebo said:

Thanks for that info - but i don't get that far due to not being able to fill in the compulsory fields for the address section - city and county (my country doesn't use these in the address and I cannot enter anything here)

I managed to complete the web-check-in using a different browser - the photos can be uploaded but you can skip this and it says photos will be taken at the terminal.

However as soon as I downloaded the E-Ticket that was sent to my email I find I cannot log into the MSC website to manage my booking anymore... it says I'm registered with another MSc regional website - I initially booked with German website - so I thought I'd try the UK one as that is my chosen language/details - and that website lets me log in but no booking shows up ... 

I wish I hadn't bothered now! hope its a migration of data delay or glitch or something - feeling anxious

Edited by GazZebo

12 minutes ago, GazZebo said:

I managed to complete the web-check-in using a different browser - the photos can be uploaded but you can skip this and it says photos will be taken at the terminal.

However as soon as I downloaded the E-Ticket that was sent to my email I find I cannot log into the MSC website to manage my booking anymore... it says I'm registered with another MSc regional website - I initially booked with German website - so I thought I'd try the UK one as that is my chosen language/details - and that website lets me log in but no booking shows up ... 

I wish I hadn't bothered now! hope its a migration of data delay or glitch or something - feeling anxious

Correct if you register with one of the other sites IE Germany then that's where your registration is held if you log back in to your german site account you will then see your booking

or log in to your account on the UK site using the email and password option go to account settings and click link a booking number to this account put in the booking number and it should link your german booking to the uk account

19 hours ago, Epos Man said:

or log in to your account on the UK site using the email and password option go to account settings and click link a booking number to this account put in the booking number and it should link your german booking to the uk account

I find I can log into multiple country accounts -  i tried uk, spain etc... when i try to add the booking number they said it is linked to another country - when I log into the German site (which was displaying correctly until yesterdays web check in) It says my account is linked to another country.  So seems I am linked to a mystery 'blank' country - I guess its not a big deal as I only have 12 days to go but I was going to look at some extras... 

turns out when you complete the webcheckin in links your login account to the country specified on your details there on that moment.  So mine switched to UK but on the UK site I cannot see or link my booking as its a german one - I can only see the booking on the german site by logging in with the booking number and then I cn only see excursions and extras and not he full experience of managing my booking. Kind of weird - but IT is IT.... 

• 2 weeks later...

The web check in is driving me insane!  My daughter was able to check in using the MSC for Me app. My MSC app wouldn’t let me check in, but I was able to check in via the website.

I then spent ages trying to work out why I couldn’t check in our other cabin which has the same booking number.  After talking to MSC I was told I would have to log out, then log in as my husband as he is the named adult in the second cabin. 

After all that - I am having the same problem as others with not being able to complete required fields, so I can’t check them in.  And yet, myself and my daughter didn’t have this issue!

MSC don’t make things easy!!

I've been sailing with MSC for around 8-9 years now and one of the constants frustrations is how bad the website is (MSC UK). It looks nice but just doesn't work. Examples are web checkin, where you are asked for a mandatory address field that you can't type in. Purchases are always fun, with the credit card payment sometimes going through, sometimes timing out, then it's onto customer service as it will allow you buy an unlimited drinks package twice!

Anyway, customer services usually sorts this out and certainly in the UK, getting through to them is not too bad.