QM2 - Club vs. Balcony

Neuhoftraveler

We are considering an eastbound TA next year, based on our terrific experience westbound last year in QG (an offered upgrade from PG).  This time, both QG (except for the prohibitive Q2) and PG are sold out.  So the choice is, Britannia Club Balcony vs. mere Balcony?  What does recent experience teach on whether Club is worth the additional cost?  For what it's worth, as it's an eastbound crossing, we think we could easily cope with the late dinner sitting (every night it would seem like 7:30 because of the lost hour).  Or am I missing something?  What benefits other than flexible dinner hour accrue to Club vs. mere Balcony?

Any and all opinions would be welcomed.

IMHO on rhe QM2, the main benefit of the Club is the flexible dining time.  There are a very few additional menu choices (eg., they will flambe at your table;  make sure your hair does not catch on fire!) but that's about it.  On other Cunard ships, the Club is a very pretty dining room.  On the QM2, the Britannia is more grand and pretty than the  Club, which is just a simple room off back.  We did enjoy Britannia Club once on the QM2, but I'm not sure if I would pay the extra amount in the future.  BTW, we try to book PG, if available.

I have travelled on a number of occasions in Britannia Club on Queen Mary 2: both as a solo passenger (East Bound TA) and as a couple with my good lady...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/10/11/queen-mary-2-scandinavian-explorer/

Okay, I hear what tv24 has said however the advantages of flexible dining, and a more attentive service (plus an invite to the 'Grills' welcome onboard CTP) is well worth the additional cost: in my opinion anyway, and a great substitute as you point out the non-availability of Princess Grill. 

I'd go for it if I were you.

The pro's are the Britannia Club dining room and dining on your time, the cons are that rooms are forward and high up in the ship, perhaps unpleasant if prone to motion sickness. Have you considered a crossing earlier or later in the year that has QG and PG available at your price? I am doing a west bound in July 2020 and had no problem getting the QG I wanted. 

We had a voyage on the QM2 in Britannia Club only once and we enjoyed it very much. We had one of the cabins on Deck 13 which had been installed only a few weeks before.  I would do it again,  but the deciding factor is the fare difference between a good balcony cabin and a Club one. On our voyage it was just a few hundred dollars each.

On subsequent voyages it was excessive so we booked Britannia. For our next booked voyage in 2020 (14 days) the difference is Canadian $2500 pp. That is out of the question for us. It is not just the Club which has risen in cost. As much as we have enjoyed the Grills in the past, we have found the current cost excessive. For the aforementioned voyage Princess Grill would be almost triple the Britannia rate.

No doubt there will be some good deals in the future, but in the absence of those we are quite happy in Britannia.

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Thanks 1

Interesting comment on prices. This year in September I booked a solo QG from Southampton to Hamburg, and a return from Hamburg to NYC in the same grade. Next year I have a nine day mid summer crossing from Hamburg in the same QG grade, 9 days vs 12 for 35% less. I have tried to see how three days makes such a difference, but haven't figured it out. Doesn't matter, though I will take it. 

Edited by Bigmike911