American Queen - Dec 15, 2019

Rickster50

My wife and I have decided to take this river cruise in December, 2019. From what we've seen on the internet it looks pretty good. Can anybody let us know how the weather will be in Louisiana and Tennessee at that time of year?

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick

Sorry for the delay in replying - just been away,

We were on the American Queen last Christmas from Memphis to New Orleans. We wore a light fleece each day and were able to sit on deck in the sun a couple of times. We had torrential rain and thunder one day - we were in Natchez and got stuck in the distillery and tavern 😉! Eventually we were ‘rescued’ by the HOHO bus which meant we didn’t see much of that town. That afternoon we went to the Cotton Plantation and, although the rain subsided, it was extremely wet under foot. 

The temperature increased slightly each day as we went south. It was warmer than we thought it would be and found it a pleasant sight-seeing temperature.  

As for the overall trip - we loved it. We are looking at doing northbound from Memphis in the future.

Brenda 

16 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Hi Brenda,

It was good to get back at least one reply to my submission. I appreciate all that info from you. Looking forward to the cruise.

Rick

Google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tennessee+weather+december&rlz=1CAWOMZ_enUS757US757&oq=tennessee+weather+december&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.10791j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• 3 months later...

We did the Memphis to New Orleans last year right after Thanksgiving.   Memphis was quite chilly maybe the low 40's and high 30's?  We had rain a couple of nights along the river but nothing to bad.   New Orleans was pretty warm 80ish.   

Thanks for that info Jen. We'll take the weather as it comes. We have 4 days in "The Big Easy" before the steamboat cruise so looking forward to checking out some Jazz & Blues Clubs and whatever else is around.

Rick

• 1 month later...

Hi Rick.  My husband and I are on the same cruise, arriving one day early.  We have been on previous AQ trips on this itinerary during the fall and winter, and I can suggest that whatever the weather prediction is, be sure to pack a raincoat, scarf and gloves.  Even if New Orleans is warm, it will be cooler the further north you go.

Be prepared to walk or Uber a lot in New Orleans, as driving and parking will take all the fun out of your holiday.  I see you like music.  For something different, you might look into the live Cajun music (and food) at Mulate's.  it is within reasonable walking distance from our AQ pre-cruise hotel, Riverside Hilton.  

Thanks for the heads up Rivertripper & diplomats regarding the weather. I figured it would get cooler the further north you travel.

Mulate's sounds like the kind of place to check out while we are in New Orleans. I guess we should book a couple of days in advance.

Cheers

Rick