Cruise packing hacks for babies and young kids

sandseeker3

I think some of these hacks are pretty good— others, aren’t practical for our family... we’ve done four cruises with our 5 year old. (We’ve cruised Disney and Holland America.) For example, I would not bring my own plates, but that’s simply because my child has always eaten off regular dinnerware at home— I have, however, been known to travel with tot sized utensils! And, I’ve become adept at tying cloth napkins into bib style covers (because we don’t bring bibs from home either) over the years to protect little John Johns and linen suits on Gala nights! 

I would add to this, that I have loved using my Tula carrier probably as much as the umbrella stroller while on vacation.. and if my child had his way, he’d still ride in the carrier! I’d also add bringing your own beach toys (or was that on the list???). Additionally, we always bring a travel sized bottle of Dawn dish soap for cleaning stuff in the cabin! 

What else? Oh yeah— a thermometer for the pediatric first aid kit!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dulciana8 said:

I think some of these hacks are pretty good— others, aren’t practical for our family... we’ve done four cruises with our 5 year old. (We’ve cruised Disney and Holland America.) For example, I would not bring my own plates, but that’s simply because my child has always eaten off regular dinnerware at home— I have, however, been known to travel with tot sized utensils! And, I’ve become adept at tying cloth napkins into bib style covers (because we don’t bring bibs from home either) over the years to protect little John Johns and linen suits on Gala nights! 

I would add to this, that I have loved using my Tula carrier probably as much as the umbrella stroller while on vacation.. and if my child had his way, he’d still ride in the carrier! I’d also add bringing your own beach toys (or was that on the list???). Additionally, we always bring a travel sized bottle of Dawn dish soap for cleaning stuff in the cabin! 

What else? Oh yeah— a thermometer for the pediatric first aid kit!

Great suggestions!  The carrier is a good one.  And the soap!  

we started cruising when DS was 3, so no baby carrier or stroller was needed (he hasn't used either at that age).

We bring sand toys and Lysol wipes for the cabin and the plane, and our entire pharmacy:

We bring a ton of sunscreen.

We haven't used any smocks or curtains to separate the kiddo, but we still use the regular cloth napkin as a bib (since DS is still quite messy at 8). We also use a tablet with cartoons and games and headphones to keep DS occupied during dinner in MDR. He's been called the best behaved kid ever because he just sits there quietly and watches his cartoons. We have a tiny folding tablet holder I got on amazon.

20190331_183558.jpg

It would never occur to me to bring our dishes on a cruise. Why would I?

For younger kids, I'd look into an inflatable mattress/pool float to use as a sleeping place. We haven't needed one, but probably would have used it if DS were younger than 3.

This whole subforum is an excellent place to start with your packing list.

A lot of useful tips and tricks.

And don't forget a passport for your kids.

Methinks, that article was an attempt at humor. 

Do Pack: Maxi Pads And Gorilla Tape? Seriously? Just bring more diapers.

And no, we don't do formal wear for the kid. We no longer do it for adults either.

Maybe Pack: Band-Aids?

really, it's a MAYBE? It's not a maybe. It's the first thing that gets packed and plenty of it.  Bandaids cure everything, especially foot lacerations on sharp rocks at Princess Cay.

And we definitely bring DS's stuffed animal du jour. DS gets to pick who is going with him on each cruise as a special treat for that stuffed animal.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

When my kids were that young - the  best tip I learned was for our trip to WDW and I carried over to cruising.  You pack each day's clothes - or each "outfit" if there are outfit changes each day in a separate zippy bag.  You put the top, shorts, socks, undies and hair accessories and jewellery all together, fold/roll and stuff in a zippy bag.  

If you have more than one kid - you can label the bag with their name.  If the outfit is for something special - such as a character meal - you can label the bag with that info.  I've labelled bags with things like DAY 1 - lunch, DAY 1 - Dinner etc.  Or in the case of a Disney cruise where I wanted them wearing a specific outfit for a specific photo opp - the bag might get labelled - CASUAL - TIANA etc.

When my daughter hit 4 or so and had interest in picking her own clothes, we would lay everything on the bed - once she approved the outfit it went into a bag and was labelled.  

With 2 kids, it was so easy just to toss a zippy bag at DH so he could help get them dressed.

Google "zippy bag packing method" and search the images.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the ship you are on offers an unlimited laundry package at a decent price.. DO IT!! HAL's is $49 for the week per cabin. Yeehaw!! This is mom's vacation too. Not much spoils my cruise mood more than coming home to 2 suitcases full of dirty clothes. Plus it makes packing up simple.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that there are some good and bad on the list.  We did not bring the plates, but we did bring sippy cups.  Along with the dish soap someone else mentioned and a bottle brush.  Cups were cleaned in our bathroom.

We take hooks, but not to make a room barrier.  We hang lanyards, hats, etc there to help organize.  We definitely take meds and band aids. 

We take the hanging shoe organizer.  We use the spots for crayons, some bathroom items due to bathroom storage (toothpaste, hairbrush, etc), charger cords, etc.  It helps to keep things off the flat surfaces in the room and more organized.  Kids items lower down, adult items higher up.  I usually hang it over a closet door.

Tablets are a must, with downloaded movies ahead of time.  A few favorite, small toys.