Trying to decide when to take Alaska cruise

moatenote

A group of us are trying to decide which VO cruise dates might provide the best weather for cruising Alaska in 2021.  We're on a VO British Isles cruise next month, and we'd like to book the cruise at that time.  We're considering June 8-18 or June 28-July 8.  The more I read about weather and conditions there, the more perplexed I become.  Seems that June has less chance of rain but bigger chance of mosquitoes.  July is a wee bit warmer but wetter (don't know about those dang skeeters).  Would appreciate any info previous travelers to Alaska (or residents thereof) can offer.  Thanks in advance!

Alaska weather is so variable, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer. Having completed 2 seasons working Alaska on cruise ships, we normally went as pax in early/mid June.

Not to many rainy days, don't recall any storms and not so busy. Have experienced temps in mid 90's even in June, so wouldn't be too worried about temp differences.

With respect to Mosquitoes, never really noticed them, probably as we deal with them at home.

Enjoy Alaska, especially as Viking should be getting into Glacier Bay by 2021.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 8:23 AM, Heidi13 said:

Alaska weather is so variable, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer. Having completed 2 seasons working Alaska on cruise ships, we normally went as pax in early/mid June.

Not to many rainy days, don't recall any storms and not so busy. Have experienced temps in mid 90's even in June, so wouldn't be too worried about temp differences.

With respect to Mosquitoes, never really noticed them, probably as we deal with them at home.

Enjoy Alaska, especially as Viking should be getting into Glacier Bay by 2021.

Andy's advice is spot on.  Having run ships in that part of the world I would add that May is the traditional driest month.  Additional bennies for early season travel is much fewer crowds with less kids as they are still in school.  Also, the locals are eager to see you and sell you stuff.  By the end of the season not so much.  Disadvantages to early season is it can be cold.  Also bears might not be awake yet.  Some whale areas not fully active.   Face it, if you live in Alaska, you really don't like crowds but put up with them to be able to afford the rest of the year.  DW calls me a "misanthrope", says I should move to somewhere like Alaska.  No thanks, worked there a few years.  They have this major temperature problem.  But then you want Alaska to be chilly, otherwise go to the Caribbean and be warm.....😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy's advice is spot on.  Having run ships in that part of the world I would add that May is the traditional driest month.  Additional bennies for early season travel is much fewer crowds with less kids as they are still in school.  Also, the locals are eager to see you and sell you stuff.  By the end of the season not so much.  Disadvantages to early season is it can be cold.  Also bears might not be awake yet.  Some whale areas not fully active.   Face it, if you live in Alaska, you really don't like crowds but put up with them to be able to afford the rest of the year.  DW calls me a "misanthrope", says I should move to somewhere like Alaska.  No thanks, worked there a few years.  They have this major temperature problem.  But then you want Alaska to be chilly, otherwise go to the Caribbean and be warm.....😎

We took our Oceania cruise in May to Alaska. Perfect time for us. Dry, cool, great docking location. Just us and Silversea most of the time. Not crowded and kids were in school. We were able to get up close and personal to Hubbard Glacier which was a plus.

A dear friend of mine was a Captain for Princess for many years and Alaska was his favorite and he always told me of it's beauty. A truly special place.

Jim while you are enjoying your warm AZ weather, we have a Winter storm warning here in Aspen. The never ending Winter, this year UGH!  I awoke to some snow this a.m. 

• Like 1

Truly Blond got it right.

We have always been advised to tale the first or last cruise of the season in Alaska.

We have done the late May early June cruises three times on Oceania Regatta and have experienced a minimum of rain, mostly at night,  and no mosquitoes.  

• Like 2