Norovirus on Sun World Cruise

Pasova

We are scheduled 12/9/2019 for the South American segment from Valparaiso to Los Angeles. Does anyone have information about a virus on the Sun that left half of the passengers very sick?  I remember reading a post where January passengers came on board to sickness but were not warned. Not having cruised in winter before, I am concerned about getting sick. 

Appreciate any info...Thx

We were on the entire WC.  There was a period when many, not all, had a hacking cough in spite of announcements to wash hands frequently and cover mouths.  My wife and I both had it and like most colds it went away after 7 to 10 days with no medication.  (There is no cure for the common cold) I am not aware of any norovirus illness with Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain or cramps, Watery or loose diarrhea, Malaise, Low-grade fever, and/or Muscle pain suffered by anyone on the entire WC. 

I suspect the cold came from the plane trip to Miami, not anything on board the Viking Sun.  

You'll have a wonderful time.  I know we did!

Commonly called cruise ship crud. On shorter cruises it impacts a number of passengers after they go home, but on World Cruises/ Grand Voyages it often spreads through the ship. Have experienced it on our previous World Cruise and most longer cruises.

Practicing good hygiene, getting out of the air con during the day and using a nasal moisturiser  daily, will help in not contracting upper respiratory issues.

6 hours ago, Pasova said:

We are scheduled 12/9/2019 for the South American segment from Valparaiso to Los Angeles. Does anyone have information about a virus on the Sun that left half of the passengers very sick?  I remember reading a post where January passengers came on board to sickness but were not warned. Not having cruised in winter before, I am concerned about getting sick. 

Appreciate any info...Thx

We were on the Viking Sun last January and I don’t remember anybody being sick. Spent 24 wonderful days on the first WC2019 segment. See you in December 🥂

Pasova---where did you hear about half of passengers on Viking Sun getting sick in January?

CDC has no reported Norovirus on Sun for all of 2019. 

There was Norovirus on Viking Sea in January 2019--4.1% of pax and 0% of crew reported ill.

Best site to check on this:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2019

Unless you have a severely compromised immune system, just follow recommended sanitation guidelines (hand washing with soap/water instead of relying on sanitizer spray) and enjoy your cruise! You should have no issues.