Southwest fares?????

S.S.Oceanlover

There is no advance published schedule, so just keep checking. The last release (to June 9) was on 12/20 and it opened up from 101 to 171 days, and is now down to 134 days. Usual opening is at the 112-135 day range, so you are getting close. Thursdays ~ 10 am central time is the most common opening, but the last one was on a Tuesday.

I check daily, but there's been no change! They only have through June 9th open.

What's the deal? Anyone know when they'll open up for summer travel?

Also, has anyone actually booked the "internet fare"? I've never booked online before (only TA's have done it for me!), so I'm a bit skeptical. Is it safe?:confused:

Thanks for your info!

Post #2 in this thread talks about the specifics of when the schedule opens, the window is not a specific date, so you may have to check twice a day for several weeks. It could be tomorrow, it could be another month.

Yes, it is safe to book online yourself and it is the only way to get the very lowest fare. Lots of folks do it all the time, myself included. Southwest has one of the easiest online booking processes. Just remember to print out your confirmation page and write down your e-ticket confirmation number.

we always rent a car but a lot of people don't lmike that idea. taxi is in the $60-$70 range. I think there is some service you get at the airport where you share a ride to Miami which is the most economical.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with the details on the share ride deal.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering....

Does anyone have an idea of when SW will open up those fares? Seems like it's been so long since they opened to June 9th. I'm waiting and waiting to book a June flight incase their fares are much, much cheaper! I check everyday, but nothing changes!

Anyone know .......?

Just a note. I saw an article today that indicated that Southwest would start raising fares due to high gas prices. Apparently, they have lost the advantage they had by hedging gas prices.

Their hedges are booked through 2010, BUT. Southwest is finally feeling the pinch, like everyone else. Their prices are NOT cheaper, as a general rule-not counting Ding and the few seats that are available when the schedule is first posted. America West is beating them by $4.00 from PHX/LAX. Not much, but just shows that they are truly NOT the cheapest.

As an aside, I surfed to Airline (A & E) the other night. Seems like the biggest problem on Southwest is drunk pax. Every episode had at least one drunk which was not allowed to board. I absolutely detest Southwest (Greyhound of the skies) and this just pointed out one more reason. Would they really let national TV air that footage if it wasn't truly a problem? Get cheap (???) fares, spend your extra money on drinks, Fly Southwest. Great business model. Supports the airline AND the bars in the airport. I'm off my soapbox.

Their hedges are booked through 2010, BUT. Southwest is finally feeling the pinch, like everyone else. Their prices are NOT cheaper, as a general rule-not counting Ding and the few seats that are available when the schedule is first posted. America West is beating them by $4.00 from PHX/LAX. Not much, but just shows that they are truly NOT the cheapest.

Oh, I agree. It always gets me on these boards when people say Southwest is cheaper. From my area, they tend to be cheaper, for flights to Texas, but anywhere else in the country they are more expensive and have worse flight times. I just bought tickets to LA yesterday, and for about $80 less on Northwest, I leave Little Rock at the same time, get into LA an hour earlier. Same in reverse going home.

Just wondering....

Does anyone have an idea of when SW will open up those fares? Seems like it's been so long since they opened to June 9th. I'm waiting and waiting to book a June flight incase their fares are much, much cheaper! I check everyday, but nothing changes!

Anyone know .......?

I'm waiting too. Love southwest! I am flying my mom and sister here(orlando) and southwest is always the cheapest. We have found Southwest to be one of the better airlines. I am flying the two of them here on 6/9 for $135. I hope I can get that good a price sending them home. Keep us "posted" if you see the fares open up and I will do the same.

No, Southwest doesn't always have the cheapest fares, but they sometimes do. For example, I'm flying to Orlando in a few weeks for spring break for $106 roundtrip, after taxes and fees. No one else even comes close. Even if it is the "greyhound of the skies", I can live with it for 2 hours (and have multiple times before).

I'm that person the airlines hate ... the one with no brand loyalty, just price loyalty. In the past year, I've flown Northwest, Southwest, American, AirTran, and USAir, with two current bookings for Southwest and American.

People always say Southwest is the cheapest. I guess it just depends where you live. I have found other airlines to be cheaper almost everytime I check.Maybe cause we fly out of Norfolk, VA heading to Florida, sometimes Orlando, sometimes Ft Lauderdale, and SouthWest is never cheaper. My cheapest flights use to come from Delta and USAir.

Iam curious to see what thier fare will be for our Aug trip.

Southwest is now open through Aug 3.

I use them if they're the cheapest with the best itinerary, but if a better itinerary is only $20 more, I'll go with the itinerary I prefer....But I always check all my options:D

Thanks for posting that! I got my tix. The cheap seats sure go fast. I had to get a flight down to Orlando with a stopover but got a direct flight coming home.

Since we are arriving 2 days early not worried about missing connection.

Thanks again

Bill

Archived