DO YOU SAVE BOOKING CRUISE AND AIRLINE TOGETHER

bencruzN

Just wondering if it would be wise to wait for prices to come down on airfare, or book both together. I don't mind searching and searching for the best price (if there is such a thing). What do you think?

WE went to a TA this cruise instead of online and she informed us to shop for air. Said we can always add it later and she would also shop as our cruise gets closer. WE always go to Southern side so the air to San Juan is a little more expensive. We can't seem to find any prices as of yet since we are not cruising until May 05 but I have been keeping tabs on this years prices. We have always booked cruise and air together so this time it should be interesting to see how it turns out.

UNTIL WE SAIL AGAIN.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2005;5;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Depends on where you are from. I understand that people from the northwest do better by booking thru the cruiseline. There may be other areas, don't know. In years past, cruiseair was priced low to get pax on the ships. Now airfare seems to be a profit center for the cruiselines. I have read that the airlines no longer give price breaks to the cruiselines. I find it better to book my own air now.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

bencruzn:

The first time I ever spoke to a Carnival PVP I was told that I would probably get better air prices on my own. We are sailing the Conquest out of New Orleans in May. The first time I checked airfare it was pretty high so I didn't book. On a fluke I decided to check pricing again and I was surprised to see that the same flight had dropped $200.00 each. I booked right away. I checked again and the same flight went up higher than the original high price. I think I was lucky but since you have quite a bit of time you may be able to get some good pricing.

Good luck,

Arlene

If you book your own air you have more control over things such as flight times. You might also want to go down a day early. Usually it is better to book the air on your own but sometimes people get a real good deal with Carnival air that is too good to pass up. If the prices end up being about the same or more thru Carnival then do it on your own and you will be much happier.

Mardi Gras 4/1988

NCL Norway 8/1990

Sensation 8/1996

Sensation 4/9/2000

Paradise 2/1/2002

Triumph 1/31/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;5;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

9/5 Paradise- Panama Canal

Every single time, coming from the Midwest if that matters, I've been able to beat the cruise lines air by a long shot.

Try Orbitz, Cheapfares.com, or Cheaptickets.com for starters as well as the major airlines sites.

Here's more:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/flight_reservations

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

They quoted me 1200.00 for 3 of us to fly from chicago to tampa for our cruise. I booked it for 59 one way pp thru southwest. Hmmm only an 800.00+ price differance. I have also heard they will change flight times constantly and give you weird flights like arriving at 1:30 when the cruise leaves at 4 or leaving at 11:20 when the cruise is over. Better to do your own air and be in control

my first cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 holiday family cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;11;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

I am going on the Conquest out of New Orleans in June and the travel agent who gave us a fantastic price on the cruis, gave us an astronimical price on the air, 529.pp The cruise line gave us a what I hear is a standard price of 350.pp and we went on Cheap tickets and got it for 200.pp, As another person said, we checked several times and cheap tickets was up one day and way down the next, so we booked when they were cheap. We were able to book for when we wanted, because we want to fly in the day before to enjoy New Orleans and want to stay a day afterwards to do it again, and not have an entire day of traveling. but to go more at our leisure. Hope this helped some, and Happy cruising

Triumph 2002

Legend 2003

Conquest 2004

Like Dan said, it must make a difference in where you're coming from. I book the cruise and air together because I haven't been able to beat the price, especially when you add the transfers in. One thing I did find out, don't wait until the standard 48 hrs before your flight to call the airlines to confirm. Do it when you get your docs. In January, I called in the 48 hr time period and our seats were the two most rear seats in the plane. We didn't like that and we couldn't really recline the seats and relax with our bloody marys, getting into the cruise mode. I couldn't figure out why, when this cruise had been booked for 7 months we got the worst seats on the plane but have been told the cruiselines block so many seats and then come in at the last minute with the names. A couple at our dinner table on the ship had the same thing happen. When I did check in, because there was so much time before our return flight, they did let me pick better seats for that flight. When we go in Oct I'm going to call earlier and get seat assignments. We usually fly on Alaska Airlines and they are pretty accommodating, hopefully Carnival will keep using them. Now, I've decided when we book the southern caribbean for next year, we're going to shop the air like weswas because it will be costly coming from clear up here in the northwest, maybe by then we'll have the frequent flyer miles for it. icon_smile.gif Chud

1054.gifcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;16;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800  UNTIL SISTERS BOOZE CROOZE

SPIRIT 10/04

I can add to this post by saying that I did save a few $$ booking air through cruiseline. At the time I was booking cruise, I was finding airfare for DTW-SJU around $500. Most flights were connecting flights, which I do not like. The only direct flight that kept showing up was NW. Lowest price I ever saw for that flight was $469. So, booked flight thru Cruise for $399. Well, docs for May 23rd sailing have arrived and guess what! Got the NW direct flight I had been admiring. Got lucky, I think.

So, worked out for me and my travel partner! My advice, use your best judgment depending on the area of the US you are from and where you are heading.

As Dan reminisced, back in the day, the airfare through the cruiseline was almost "free" meaning you only received something like $100 off if you did not use their air.

Times have changed.

As others have noted, a lot depends on where you may be flying from and to, to determine if it is a good deal. The DTW-SJU example is a good one. Airfare in connection with repositioning cruises is another example of where the cruiseline may have the best price.

Booking on your own gives you more control over your flights however. In the olden days, I have had some truly horrific itineraries using the cruiselines air, and that was just from DTW-MIA!

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

The last time I let a cruise line book my air, the times and connections really sucked! I vote DIY!

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

We booked our own for our Southern Carib. cruise coming up. Cruise line wanted $500 ea, I got it for $374 for both of us. On the other hand I was priceing Europe(dreaming actually) and the better deal was thru the cruise line.

Hi tom, is your weather getting any better up there? Ours has been fantastic the last few weeks, pool is almost warm enough to start swimming. icon_biggrin.gif

karen

Sovereign Again

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;04;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

For those who said they got the best price fromCCL, did you try BOTH cheaptickets AND Travelocity?

I have found that, from my area, Travelocity often has the best prices of everyone. It seems that they buy up blocks from the majors, especially AA. Example:

I am flying from Reno, NV all the way to Orlando 6/12, return 6/26, a peak expensive time to travel. I am paying only $242 round trip. Oh, and I depart at 8:00am, arrive at 5:40, leave at 5:00, get back home around 10:00. I have seen other sights offer round trips with weird times like depart at 10:30 pm, arrive at 6:45am, but I steer clear of them.

Archived