Locks on the Danube, Rhine, Moselle, and Main

CharTrav

I've been part of a thread regarding Rhine River water levels initiated by @notamermaid, who lives close to the Rhine and is providing day-by-day narratives on conditions there (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2622046-rhine-water-levels-2019-and-similar-topics/page/11/, A member of the thread  asked about locks on the Rhine, a question that inspired me to think it would be really nice of me NOT to hoard all the material we got when we did the Grand European Tour with Viking River in 2014 to ourselves - specifically a map of the locks from Amsterdam to Budapest and Km-by-Km descriptions of the major ports, towns, sites, and locks along the Danube, Main, Moselle, and Rhine (two books -- one just on the Danube; the other on the Rhine & its tributaries). So that's what I've done -- scanned all this material and posted it to DropBox.  If you look in my signature box under "Resources available... General Viking Stuff" you'll find a link to the folder where all this material has been posted .. along with instructions for how to download single files from this folder.  However, if you don't want to putz with the not obvious to the naked eye procedures for downloading a single file from a DropBox folder, here are the links to the five items I uploaded (NO DropBox account required to access or download):

Many thanks to @notamermaid for the suggestion that I create a separate thread for this topic to ensure the widest possible sharing!  Hope this is useful to all.

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, need2travel1 said:

Perfect timing for this as we leave for our cruise from Basel to Amsterdam on Uniworld in 3 weeks.  Thanks!!

Don't know if this is your first time on the Rhine or not. If it is, you'll love it. It's like an interstate highway with km vice mileage markers all along it (little signs at the water's edge or slightly above to ensure visibility). The towns advertise themselves sometimes with huge walls alongside the water. If you take pics along the way, helps with the process of identifying the sights and sites afterwards. I also loved seeing the barges with playhouses near the stern for the pilots traveling with their families during the Summer. 

• Like 1