Solo Cruising Out of Texas

Shantilly

Hello all,

I'm a 55 year old divorced woman looking to branch out and take a cruise by myself.  As scary as it sounds to me, I've been told I need to do it. Anyone ever taken a solo cruise out of Galveston? Tell me about your experience and where you went. 🙂

• Like 1

Shantilly, 

I have taken many cruises by myself and I love it.  I have taken one cruise out of Galveston.  I came in the night before (generally the way I do things, if at all possible) and stayed at a hotel.  To be honest, Galveston is not my favorite port.  I found a hotel that had a free shuttle to and from the airport (sorry can't remember which hotel) The day of the cruise, I took the shuttle back to the airport and had them drop me at baggage claim and caught a shuttle that would take me to the port.  I didn't want to rent a car.  

What cruise ship are you going on?  I love traveling by myself and you will be also!

Cindy

Thank you for your input Cindy! I've cruised on a couple of the Carnival ships but wouldn't mind checking out one of the others that leave out of Galveston.  

When you went solo, did it cost you a lot more for your own room? I understand there is quite the mark up for solo travelers?

Did you do any excursions by yourself? How'd that go? I don't mean to sound so sheltered, just gathering as much info as I can on taking a cruise by myself. 🙂 Thanks again! 

• 2 months later...

Good morning, I have been sailing solo for the past 16 years.  I have not sailed out of Texas but I can tell you I love going on my own (It is the only way I sail).  Yes, it costs more money but for me, it is worth every cent. I have been on my own for almost my entire adult life (I am 61).

I love having my own space and it is very easy to meet people (if you want to). They have all sorts of activities you can join in on (or not) it is all up to you.:classic_smile:

As for excursions, you might see if there is a roll call for your particular sailing and many times there

are others on there that are looking to share in private tours. Other times, I have gone on the Ship's

excursions. That is a nice way to meet other people too.

There is  "solo forum" on here as well and if you want to post over there, there are quite a few folks who are very helpful over there too.

Enjoy your cruise!:classic_smile:

On 7/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, Shantilly said:

Thank you for your input Cindy! I've cruised on a couple of the Carnival ships but wouldn't mind checking out one of the others that leave out of Galveston.  

When you went solo, did it cost you a lot more for your own room? I understand there is quite the mark up for solo travelers?

Did you do any excursions by yourself? How'd that go? I don't mean to sound so sheltered, just gathering as much info as I can on taking a cruise by myself. 🙂 Thanks again! 

My husband and I cruise out of Galveston, but he doesn't do excursions due to mobility problems. So I like to hook up with one or more others for off the ship; it feels safer. On the roll calls, you can discuss excursion, meal, show plans before you ever set foot on the ship 😊.  People are mostly super friendly. We cruise on Royal C's Liberty of the Seas.

• 3 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, I have been sailing solo for the past 16 years.  I have not sailed out of Texas but I can tell you I love going on my own (It is the only way I sail).  Yes, it costs more money but for me, it is worth every cent. I have been on my own for almost my entire adult life (I am 61).

I love having my own space and it is very easy to meet people (if you want to). They have all sorts of activities you can join in on (or not) it is all up to you.:classic_smile:

As for excursions, you might see if there is a roll call for your particular sailing and many times there

are others on there that are looking to share in private tours. Other times, I have gone on the Ship's

excursions. That is a nice way to meet other people too.

There is  "solo forum" on here as well and if you want to post over there, there are quite a few folks who are very helpful over there too.

Enjoy your cruise!:classic_smile:

How do I get to the solo forum?

On 7/3/2019 at 11:54 AM, Shantilly said:

Hello all,

I'm a 55 year old divorced woman looking to branch out and take a cruise by myself.  As scary as it sounds to me, I've been told I need to do it. Anyone ever taken a solo cruise out of Galveston? Tell me about your experience and where you went. 🙂

Also going solo. Wife passed away 3 years ago. Want to meet some new friends.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, Shantilly said:

Hello all,

I am sure you may have seen on the solo cruise thread that there are cruise ships that offer single rooms. Cunard for one and the Celebrity Edge (and soon Apex) have single rooms. Celebrity has single balcony cabins which is a bonus to single travelers.  Cunard has special events for single travellers as well for those who might want to join in events with others.