vancouver departure question

Dan G

I'm staying close to Canada place so was thinking of just walking my luggage over to pier to check in.  Can you tell me if I'm walking can I bring the luggage to the cruise check in desks at the end of the pier or do I need to go downstairs in Canada Place then go upstairs to check in with cruise?

If you have luggage you want loaded on to the ship you will need to go down to the lower level to the drop-off area. There is a ramp from street level down to the lower level.  You have probably read that you then go up to the check-in area in the convention centre then back down to where you started to go through security, etc.

thanks, so much that was the info I needed.  I stayed at the Pan Pacific and they take the luggage down to the ship but I'm staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim and they say just walk over and check in but its a lot of up and down just to board.  Thanks for the info as that makes sense.

40 minutes ago, Dan G said:

thanks, so much that was the info I needed.  I stayed at the Pan Pacific and they take the luggage down to the ship but I'm staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim and they say just walk over and check in but its a lot of up and down just to board.  Thanks for the info as that makes sense.

While I love the Pan Pacific we stayed at a different hotel last September, and just walked our luggage over to deliver it to the porters.  We actually didn't find the process to be "a lot of up and down just to board."  It was simple and quick.  The Fairmont Pacific Rim, for what ever reason, is making the process sound more complicated than it is.

12 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

While I love the Pan Pacific we stayed at a different hotel last September, and just walked our luggage over to deliver it to the porters.  We actually didn't find the process to be "a lot of up and down just to board."  It was simple and quick.  The Fairmont Pacific Rim, for what ever reason, is making the process sound more complicated than it is.

I'm not sure when the procedure changed, but as of this year there is  the necessity of "up and down to board."  Previously everything was done on the lower level where the taxis and buses drop off passengers.

Now you start off on the lower level with baggage drop-off, then you go up to the convention centre Hall C  to check-in with the cruise line, then back down where you started, then everything else (security, U.S. border control, waiting area to board) is on that level. If you can use the escalators it may reduce the amount of walking, but if accompanying a person in a wheelchair you have to use the elevator and I recall a fair amount of walking. That is fine with me but not everyone will be as enthused as I am. It is straight-forward, though. There are plenty of signs and a lot of helpful staff.

If hotel porters have taken your luggage you can skip step one and go straight to the check-in at Hall "C" from the west side promenade of Canada Place.

Further information is available here. Click on "boarding and disembarkation." The graphics shown are the same as those in the cruise terminal.

https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

46 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I'm not sure when the procedure changed, but as of this year there is  the necessity of "up and down to board."  Previously everything was done on the lower level where the taxis and buses drop off passengers.

Now you start off on the lower level with baggage drop-off, then you go up to the convention centre Hall C  to check-in with the cruise line, then back down where you started, then everything else (security, U.S. border control, waiting area to board) is on that level. If you can use the escalators it may reduce the amount of walking, but if accompanying a person in a wheelchair you have to use the elevator and I recall a fair amount of walking. That is fine with me but not everyone will be as enthused as I am. It is straight-forward, though. There are plenty of signs and a lot of helpful staff.

If hotel porters have taken your luggage you can skip step one and go straight to the check-in at Hall "C" from the west side promenade of Canada Place.

Further information is available here. Click on "boarding and disembarkation." The graphics shown are the same as those in the cruise terminal.

https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

We have both boarded and disembarked at Canada Place several times, and the procedure, as I recall when we boarded in September, 2018, did include taking escalators.  I guess we can debate what "a lot of up and down" means, but I didn't find it difficult at all.  It was quick and simple.