Seattle Info Needed

We will be sailing from Seattle for the first time. How far is the pier from the airport? Any suggestions for a hotel for the night before?

Thanks

I'll try to help some. We have 2 piers. Pier 66 (ish) is downtown and the other pier is in SODO (south of downtown). Our Port Authority is Port of Seattle. They should have which ships at which piers. (I look out my office May to Sept and see ships but darned if I can tell you which ones!!)

Regardless of your pier, I would stay downtown. The Edgewater and a new Marriott are within a stones throw of Pier 66. No amenities or services at SODO but only 2 miles or so between piers.

Airport is about 30 minutes (traffic dependent and we have HORRIBLE traffic) from downtown/SODO.

Otherwise, we have all the major Hotels downtown, several have shuttle services between airport and docks. Cab won't be too expensive as trip is short.

If you're at Pier 66, retail shopping district (Nordy/Macy)would be something like a 3 block south and 5 block east walk. (some uphill)

If you haven't been to Seattle, be sure and visit our Pike Place Market - wonderful eclectic farmers market, (check out the flower booths) artisian booths, shopping. 3 blocks from Pier 66.

Enjoy your cruise and stay in Seattle. I'll be waving.

Thanks for the info. We are sailing on NCL in early September. We will be sailing Sunday to Sunday and flying in on Saturday. We are due to dock at 7am on Sunday morning. We are looking at a noon flight out that day. Assuming we dock on time, I hope that won't be a problem. Probably not much traffic on a Sunday morning. We could even do express debark if necessary. There are later flights, but with terrible connections (returning to Phila). Earlier flights are too early and would require staying another night to catch the next morning.

Any other info you can give will be appreciated.

Actually, I don't think RCCL docks down at Terminal 30, I think it's just HAL and Princess down there.

I'd ditto the comments about the Mariott and Edgewater, both are nice and very close to Pier 66--Mariott is across the street from Pier 66 and Edgewater is next door. Edgewater has the better view because it's on a pier so the water view rooms have a truly unobstructed view of the water. If you're looking for a budget option instead, try one of the hotels near Seattle Center like Comfort Suites or the Hampton Inn. I've stayed at Comfort Suites for a conference and it was a decent place, they have a free breakfast and I think they'll shuttle you to the pier (not sure about cost, though).

I'd say it's closer to 20 minutes from downtown to the airport on a Sunday, not 40 minutes. Cab fare is about $30 each way, or you can take the Greyline Shuttle (about $9), which stops at several of the downtown hotels. Not sure if it stops at the Edgewater/Mariott, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I will be sailing in Oct out of Seattle too:) Mercury from your

fair city to Ensenada.

Can you tell me what the temps average that time of year? I am

guessing layering my clothing would be the best thing to do?

Trcori, I know you sail Celebrity too:) and have seen you

on the BB over the years. Maybe we could meet and have lunch!

I will be arriving a couple of days early to do some Seattle

sightseeing:D

Lois, sometimes we luck out and have beautiful sunny (but not hot) weather in October, highs around 55-60, but most of the time we just have drizzly rain, highs around 45-50. Layers are good, and remember that Seattle is a very casual city, so you'll see a lot of jeans and fleece. And of course Seahawks shirts! :)

Hi Beth, thanks for the reply:) I figured layering would be the best

way to go! I don't normally travel with jeans but I LOVE "moleskin"

if you know that material. It feels like suade but lighter in feel and

doesn't wrinkle either!

I have quite a few pairs of slacks in different colors in moleskin so

those will be going with me!

Do you suggest using Priceline for hotels? Near Pike's Market;)

I haven't used Priceline in Seattle other than for an airport hotel, so I'm not sure what hotels they use, but I'm sure it works just as well here as it does in other cities. :) Most of the hotels near Pike Place are great, but watch out for the Sixth Avenue Inn, unless it's been renovated in the last couple of years it's pretty dumpy. I've stayed at the Westin, which is pretty close to Pike Place, and it's nice. It's actually the original Westin and a lot of famous people stay there--Bill Clinton stayed there when he was president--but it's not extraordinarily nice, just your average big convention-type hotel. My favorite place to stay in town is the W, although it's such a hip place that I always feel like I'm not really cool enough to stay there. And it's a little further from Pike Place and the sights. I've heard that the Inn at the Market is fantastic, but I've never stayed there.

I haven't stayed at the Red Lion but it's in a good location, sort of in the "theater district," which consists of a couple of blocks of 5th avenue. :) Lots of good shopping around there too. And usually Red Lions are good places, I've stayed at a couple for work and they've been OK, about on par with a Best Western. For a fabulous dinner while you're in town, walk two blocks up Union to Union Square Grill. I'm getting hungry just thinking about that place, actually, they have such good food! :)

Beth--------we're coming to Seattle too...........post cruise one night.......we have a few hotels booked.......but are leaning towards the Red Lion.......any comments on this one??

Hi Lois!!

Hi Beth (Parrothead8):

I have never stayed at the Red Lion in dt, but I know the flight crew for one of the airlines uses it everynight. I see them loading the airporter van when I am on my way to work. As calikak has said it is in a great location.

I will be seeing you on your October cruise on the Radiance, seems so far away. My neighbor is doing the Panama Canal in April and will let me know her thoughts of the ship.

Archived