First Time in Costa Maya ??

cruisingbajan

This will be our first time in Costa Maya and I have been doing some research and have been trying to figure out what to do.

Since this is our first visit we don't want to necessarily do any of the AI beach days. We would like to see a bit of the island but are not sure if we want to commit to a lengthy excursion.

I have been trying to get an answer to if  Costa Maya conducive to just winging it and doing your own thing outside the port area? I have not been able to discern this from reading the threads. Can anyone answer this for me.

Thanks in advance.

Costa Maya isn't an island and there is basically nothing to see.  It's "kind of" conducive to winging it and doing your own thing if you want to do one of two things.... hang out at the Disney-like fake port with a free pool and shopping, or head to the Malecon (downtown beach) which is.... all beach clubs.

This is a port where you either do an all day ruins excursion or a beach club (or sit at the lame port).  And nothing comes even remotely close to Maya Chan when it comes to beach clubs, especially considering it's a whopping $59 which includes transportation, food, drinks, beach toys, private palapa, pool, etc. etc. etc.  Plus, the taxi takes you through the downtown then down a dirt road quite some ways.  So you very much get to see and feel the area.  Maya Chan itself is VERY Mexican beach hangout, very authentic.  Some of the best local Mexican food you'll get anywhere, too.

Book Maya Chan.  Trust me.  Even if you don't want to go in the water, just hanging out is worth every penny.  We specifically book Western itineraries because of Maya Chan.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

First, Costa Maya is on the Mexican mainland.

In a nutshell,  your  choices are Maya ruins or beach day.

For Maya  ruins,  see threads here on Native Choice, or Google  them.

For beach day, grab the tram at the port and head for the malecon in Mahahual, about 10 minutes away. Along the malecon there are mostly beach clubs, one right after another,  that take walk-ins,and sometimes attempt to coerce walk-in to a particular  spot.

Lots of posts  here on good places to go without reservations and charging only for food and babies. Look for posts on Tropicante, Krazy Lobster,  YaYas, Pitaya, Pez Quadro, good spots all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bajan Keith said:

Thanks for the input guys.

So in essence my choices are, hang out at the port area, Beach Day, or Mayan Ruins.

Yep. Pretty much. And I'll second Maya Chan if you decide to make it a beach day. It's the best AI beach I've ever been too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Yep. Pretty much. And I'll second Maya Chan if you decide to make it a beach day. It's the best AI beach I've ever been too.

I did notice that May Chan for the most part gets rave reviews. So if we do do a beach day it will come down to them or Tropicante based on what I have been reading.

21 minutes ago, Bajan Keith said:

I did notice that May Chan for the most part gets rave reviews. So if we do do a beach day it will come down to them or Tropicante based on what I have been reading.

If you're thinking Maya Chan. Book early. They could be full.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bajan Keith said:

Those are probably the two most popular. I can't say anything about Tropicante one way or another. I went to Maya Chan on my first trip to Costa Maya. The only way I'd go anywhere else is if they were booked up and I couldn't get in.