Misty Fjords in Ketchikan

FaithPlus1

16 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Are there no more tours of the fjords via a boat? They all seem to require you now to fly to see them. 

https://allenmarinetours.com/ketchikan/fjord-wilderness/ Click on the black ribbon at the top of the link to get to their Contact and Reservation page. They suggest you check with your cruise line first. If you cann't get this tour through the cruise line, then contact Allen Marine directly. 

We have done this tour three times, and Allen Marine does a fabulous job with it.

1 hour ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Allen Marine has been useless for me. They are of no help. 

I think the problem is that they almost exclusively contract through the cruise ships so it is almost impossible to book direct. Perhaps your cruise ship offers it as a ship excursion? If not, try calling the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau and see if they can connect you with a vendor.

You don't mention which cruise line you will be on? I know Princess offers the Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer cruise through Allen Marine. We did it a few years ago and it's still on the Princess site. Don't know about other cruise lines. 

On 7/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, karatemom2 said:

I think the problem is that they almost exclusively contract through the cruise ships so it is almost impossible to book direct. Perhaps your cruise ship offers it as a ship excursion? If not, try calling the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau and see if they can connect you with a vendor.

They just told me to always book direct with the cruise line. 

I think these companies are starting to realize that they should only be exclusive deals with the cruise companies and to not let people book independently...

5 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

I think these companies are starting to realize that they should only be exclusive deals with the cruise companies and to not let people book independently...

We do not think that is the way it works.  The cruise lines tour excursion reps (which is actually a third party contractor on many lines) negotiates contracts with land providers.  As part of the contract the cruise lines (or their reps) try to exert pressure on the shore-based provider not to sell directly to cruise line passengers.  We see a terrific example of this in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (where we live in the winter).  The largest tour provider in Puerto Vallarta is called Vallarta Adventures and they contract with all the cruise lines to provide most of their excursions.  Vallarta Adventures also routinely sells the same (or similar) tours to those of us who live in PV and to many short-term visitors.  But Vallarta Adventures does their best to ID who is staying in local hotels/resorts and residents who can buy tours (sometimes at a discount).  But if you think you are on a cruise ship, they will not sell you a tour (often at prices below what you pay the cruise lines).  When we book a tour with that company they want to know our local address and phone number.  Other residents can get discounts by producing their Mexican visas (only held by residents).

Why is this done?  Because the cruise lines generally sell excursions at a big mark-up!  Put simply, it is just business :(.  The cruise lines do not want local tour providers selling you tours at a lower price then you pay onboard.

Hank

5 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

These vendors do have contracts with the cruise lines that not only probably take up most of their available slots, but also prohibit them from selling directly to consumers. I have never had any luck trying to book direct with Allen Marine, they seem to book exclusively through the cruise lines.

I did find the following two vendors that look like they book direct boat trips to Misty Fjord. You might check them out:

https://akhummer.com/activities/misty-fjords-expedition/

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/uncategorized/misty-fjords-cruise/

Alaskashoretours- no availability for any date in july or august. tells me that they contracted every trip with cruise companies in order for the cruises to make more $$

akhummer- they do allow online bookings however some dates are blocked.