How much is nonstop to Europe worth paying extra for

geoherb

To me this isn't a this or that question.  In addition to cost I look at the carrier and the type of equipment I'll be flying, as well as departure and arrival times.

I prefer flights that allow me to get non-stop to Europe from MCO so I can leave on a flight after 7:00 pm, which allows me to work a full day and not have to use PTO to sit in an airport.  

I prefer a flight on the alliance I have most of my miles on--although over the next few years I think that will change as the carriers have devalued miles and I don't fly enough anymore on anyone airline or alliance to have status--and simply can't because the places I go aren't all served by a single alliance.

I look at layover times once I get to Europe.  I don't want to sit in an airport for six hours, and also don't want a connection time so tight that I'm stressing out over it.  That said, each airport is different, and it also depends on where I'm coming from/going to and immigration for those, as well as the size of the airport.  For example, I know that if connecting through DUB to AMS, 2.5 hours is the perfect connection time.  It takes me no more than 20 minutes to get off the plane and through immigration (including the 10 minute walk from the jetway to the booths), half an hour for tea and a proper Irish breakfast, half an hour to shower and freshen up at the lounge, and a little over an hour for any delays.  I get into AMS mid-afternoon and can typically get right into my room.  

I look at the type of equipment--if I'm flying economy I want to be on an A330 so my husband and I can share a window/aisle combo and not have strangers drooling on our shoulders.  

And finally I look at price.  

All of those data-points are what drive me to my final decision of which flight to book.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Of greater concern to me would be what the equipment and onboard service would be for the various options.  Many times, connections have given me better experiences than what I would have received for a non-stop.

Only YOU can make that kind of decision, and only YOU can place the correct personal value to connections vs non-stop.  Because what any one of US thinks means nothing to the eventual decision that YOU make for YOURSELF.

I agree FlyerTalker about the equipment. For our nonstop SFO-BCN flight not only did we pay $280 one way as we are on the B2B Trans Atlantic Cruise were on the Airbus 330 in the Mini Cabin with seats 5 JL!      I much prefer the 2 4 2 than the 3-4-3! 

The times we got are perfect  leaving at 8:20 PM and arriving the next day  at 4:45 PM!  I always book  a flight to arrive a few days before the cruise. 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:35 PM, FlyerTalker said:

So, if you had a one-connection itinerary available for X dollars (and let's stipulate that X is greater than $1000), and a non-stop is priced at 2X - you would always take the non-stop?

What if X is $1500?  Or $2000?

Just checking how absolute "Always select" really is.

No for me it would have to be a $200-$300 difference in order for me to chose a stop vs nonstop.  For instance last July I went to Israel and booked a $970 flight to TLV starting from LAX-SFO-TLV so I used up an Alaska Voucher from a delayed flight and booked myself in First Class and spent the day in the lounge as my Mother had an early flight  connecting in Dallas to Paris  so  I really did not mind.

Alaska held my bag until 2:00 PM when i could check in with United.  So not only was Alaska and United located next to each other  I had a United Day Pass to use up in their lounge too ! So my layover was perfect.

This itinerary was perfect also because I checked my bag at LAX with no line and as it was Saturday the security lines were not bad and when I arrived in SFO there was no TSA Checks just an Extra Security to go on the Israel flight.

If I had to start in SFO my ticket would be $1500+ get this on the same Nonstop SFO-TLV flight and if I had to start in Sacramento it would have costed me more to go to SAC to start the flight  for $970 than from LAX!  My First Class ticket down to LAX was $170 one way vs Car service from San Jose to SAC!

On the return I did not take the SFO-LAX portion and just took a car service home for $70.  We arrived at 4:45 AM 1 hour before our scheduled arrival and before Customs  opened so I was literally one of the first people through Global Entry and I was in the car at 6:20 AM out of my seat at 5:55 AM and had my bags come out very quick;y and was home by 7:00 AM   We literally  left TLV at 1:00 AM and really  sped over the Polar Route!   

It  was the first time my international flight arrived  1 hour early! I left my place in Israel at 8:00 PM the night before and it must have been one of my record transit times as usually I connect in Europe or in JFK!

In order to do what I did you must take the first flight or else they will cancel your entire itinerary! Also as SFO was my first point of entry instead of checking my bags through to LAX I just picked it up and turned right  instead of left outside Customs! 

Also there was a risk that my flight may not make it to SFO but that is so minimal for the savings!   I called United from my seat to tell them I won't be taking the SFO-LAX flight and to offload me!  I called the Travel Agent to ensure it was cancelled.

The residual value from SFO -LAX would have costed me more to change the ticket and pay the Fare Difference than to just book a r/t to LAX so I just let it expire!

FTer can"chime in" on this one!

So as you can see connections are not so bad!  

Edited by travelplus