Ocean Medallion - Ocean ready

Tedferg

I know there are stickies covering these topics, but they are very long and it is hard to pore through them and get concise answers. Furthermore some posts are very old and so it is not clear what the current situation is. I see comments about multiple apps referring to Ocean Ready, Medallion and Medallion Internet. Who's on First - What's on Second. 

Would be nice to see a single post addressing these topics and current status.

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I know there are stickies covering these topics, but they are very long and it is hard to pore through them and get concise answers. Furthermore some posts are very old and so it is not clear what the current situation is. I see comments about multiple apps referring to Ocean Ready, Medallion and Medallion Internet. Who's on First - What's on Second. 

The point of the stickies is to ask the question there creating new responses that make it easy for posters to find them and ask them in one place. Therefore not clogging up the Princess board with numerous Medallion questions that get buried. 

• Like 1

Poring over the info on the Princess website would be the best place to start.

MedallionNet is the new high speed internet sold only in cruise-length unlimited packages. It is only tangentially related to Medallion Class Cruising in that it must be up and running before the Medallions will work onboard.

Current rollout status is here: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

Medallion Class Cruising is the catchall term for ships that have completed installation and activation and thus replaced the cruise card with the Medallion.

Current rollout status is here: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

Ocean Ready is the app that must be downloaded for the Medallion to be shipped to you before the cruise. See section three in above MedallionClass link. 

The other apps listed have vary degrees of necessity. If you want to be able to use your smart phone to work in conjunction with the Medallion to order drinks, message/find others in your party, and the other stuff that Princess@Sea did prior to all this Medallion gobbledygook, you should install Ocean Now and Ocean Compass just before you board (section 4 and 5 of above link). The other apps mentioned seemed to be just for "fun stuff" (some of which is fee-based).

*I too suggested that the first post on the two stickies be a Medallion 101 primer that our friendly host can edit as necessary. Sensible but impractical I guess*

Edited by fishywood

Okay, I will try. I have been faithfully following the reports for awhile now so I feel relatively up to date.  II know that I am Ocean Ready (for an 8/9 cruise) which means I have my personalizer completed and I have uploaded security and "avatar" photos and I have managed to turn all the pieces of the OceanReady circle green (personalizer, security photo, avatar photo, travel documents - like scanning passport data) and ordered my Medallions for both myself and my DH. (No, it wasn't straightforward or easy but I do have an order number.)

I know that my cruise is full medallion class, which includes the new high-speed internet called Medallion Internet. I know that I had to pay separately for the Medallion Internet and that I got a discount by ordering early although many folks say on the first day onboard I could get a further discount by surrendering my Platinum minutes. Won't know that until August 9th and don't really care.  The $12 discount for 10 days is not worth the effort to me right now.

There are other apps that when I am onboard will allow me to order drinks/food to wherever I am (not done that yet, seems a waste until just before I get on the ship) Ocean Now, one that will let me find my DH wherever he is on the ship (Ocean Compass) and give me directions. I know that neither of those  works except on the ship. I know that Ocean Concierge cannot be downloaded until on the ship. I know that none of them works perfectly or even close.  I have not tried to do anything with them yet.

I understand that for my DH to have the apps on his phone he will have to use a different email  for his login. I have a yahoo account that can be used for that. I am anxiously awaiting my Medallions and doing the happy dance.

That's the sum of what I have gleaned form all of these posts. Hope that this is helpful but if it isn't, my feeling won't be hurt.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Furthermore some posts are very old and so it is not clear what the current situation is. I see comments about multiple apps referring to Ocean Ready, Medallion and Medallion Internet. Who's on First - What's on Second. 

If you want "the current situation" then go to the App Store and search on Ocean. There you will find all the "current" apps and their description. The only "app" not in the App Store is Ocean Concierge, which is available through your browser at "login.com" after you connect to the ship's wifi.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies and Thanks for responses - I have not been able to get online for a week so just returned. I think I have a clear enough answer for my needs, thanks. The mistake I made was glancing at the date on Stickie first post and seeing 2003 - I guess that refers to the posters date of joining CC and not the date of that post.

Great idea to have the host provide an update status at the beginning of the Stickie thread.

Also when I do a search on Princess site, I have to remember that Medallion has two 'L' 😞

Edited by Tedferg