Norway ports, missing from MysticSailor review yesterday, courtousy of sister Carolyn

mysticsailor

a fellow CCr asker for specific information re Norway ports, any excursions, experiences we enjoyed there. My sister graciously agreed to relieve my cramped hands. Following is her own distinctive replay of our adventures in Norway. If you missed my review yesterday detailing ports in Scotland and Ireland see thread titled 'Norway & British Isles review Prinsendam 5/20-6/17'

I am the sister MysticSailor referred to and he asked me to reply to your question about favorite ports in Norway.  One favorite was Alesund,  where we took a  tour to the Trolls Road (Trollstigen) .  We booked the tour privately through Norway ExcursionsFjiords to Trolls Tour.’ The trip on the mini bus was about 8 hours long, during which we passed through breathtaking and amazingly varied scenery seeing an abundance of snow cumulating in a vista unparalleled.  

Our tour guide was extremely informative, not only about the sights we were seeing, but gave us a lot of information about the people and culture of the country.  The company tailors the tour times according to the ship arrivals and departures, and were very conscientious about us getting back prior to ship departure.  We were picked up and delivered at the dock.  The tour includes lunch and we felt it was extremely well priced for an excursion in Norway  (8 hrs -$159).

Another favorite port of mine was Geiranger.  My brother and I took a hike up to a goat farm.  I can't emphasize enough that if you are physically able, you should not miss the opportunity to take a hike while in Norway.  We were told of 2 different routes to a goat farm up on the mountain, one easy, one hard.  We set out and soon disagreed as to where the correct (easy) path was. We went the way I thought and, of course, it was the wrong (harder) one.

Halfway up we were getting discouraged, partly because the slippery terrain was beginning to cause concern when our ship cruise director passed us coming down. “Don’t give up he intoned, you are 2/3 of the way there.” His encouragement gave us the impetus to carry on. Though many others were zipping by us with no problems, I had to stop and take many rest breaks. My brother had no trouble with the hike at all, but had to cajole, encourage, and nearly push me up part of it.

For me the hike was challenging, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything; a challenge surmounted, a memory I treasure. There is also a bus available to take you up to the farm. If passing on the hike, a pleasant afternoon can be had by wandering beside a stunning waterfall and rushing stream that runs directly through town. Take a right onto the street at the end of the dock. The waterfall is a few hundred yards up a gentle grade.

Arendal was a lovely port also. There is a very nice walk along the waterfront and the town is perfect for walking  around.  We stopped for a cappuccino and spent a wonderful day just soaking up the atmosphere.  This was the place where we all looked in wonder at the cigarette butt my brother mentioned in the article.  The town (as well as all of Norway) was impeccably clean.

In Olso we took a Hop on-Hop off Bus tour.  I particularly enjoyed the Viking Ship Museum and Veigland Sculpture Park where local the parks namesake created over one hundred giant sculptures of the human form. Sculptures are a highly respected art form in Norway and will be seen abundantly throughout the country.

I can't say there were any one of our ports I was disappointed in. The fjiords were all and more than I had imagined!