San Diego: A Day to See

DanL

Our cruise ends in SD and our flight is not until 6pm. Thought about renting car and site see but open to other options, of course will have luggage. Recommended rental car agencies that are easy to get to from port? Is the zoo still a good option, seen it years ago? Other options for 2 seniors? Probably not Coronado. Maybe a tour that will drop us at airport? Thanks

If you haven't seen the zoo in years then it's worth a new visit.  It's been updated in the last few years and is even more awesomer.  Instead of wasting time going to the rental car place I would just UBER to the zoo and then back to airport.  Probably the closest and best car rental location is at the airport.   

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If you haven't seen the zoo in years then it's worth a new visit.  It's been updated in the last few years and is even more awesomer.  Instead of wasting time going to the rental car place I would just UBER to the zoo and then back to airport.  Probably the closest and best car rental location is at the airport.   

Thought about that BUT what do we do with our luggage?

Good question, check with the zoo and see if they have luggage storage.  You can't be the first person who has asked.  Also check with the Embassy Suites across the street from the port and see if they would hold it for you.  That might be more trouble than it's worth and getting a rental might be the easiest way.

The new car rental center is very quick and easy.  Especially if you have a preferred customer membership.  I have Hertz Gold Club and I just walk to my car and drive out, no stopping at the counter.  You would just have to UBER to the rental center and take the rental center shuttle to the airport.      

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Balboa Park is not only home to the zoo but dozens of museums and gardens.

It's the largest urban cultural park in the country.

https://www.balboapark.org/

My personal favorite hidden gem in the park is the San Diego Model Railroad Museum. It has the largest model train exhibit in North America.

http://sdmrm.org/exhibitions/4592670233

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
corrected URL

We were in San Diego last June. DH for work, myself for a little vacation. We both did the zoo. Absolutely loved it!

One day, while DH was working, I did the Hop on Hop off trolley. A great way to see many different things in San Diego. If you do the complete loop and don't get off anywhere, it is approximately 2 hours. But I would highly recommend getting off and seeing things if time allows. Trolleys pick up frequently. Balboa Park is beautiful. Old town is really interesting. It also drives thru and stops in Little Italy, the Glasslamp District, Coronado Island and several other areas. I really enjoyed it. 

The USS Midway is also right down the street from the cruise terminal. We both found this very interesting! 

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy your day in San Diego!

Since you are renting a car and depending on how much time you have, consider doing the Wild Animal Park rather that the zoo.  We took the grandkids a few years ago and did the Caravan Safari.  We were 20 feet from baby rhinos and handfed giraffes.   

IMG_6354.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

On 7/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Since you are renting a car and depending on how much time you have, consider doing the Wild Animal Park rather that the zoo.  We took the grandkids a few years ago and did the Caravan Safari.  We were 20 feet from baby rhinos and handfed giraffes. 

I love the SD Zoo Safari Park, but there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades I'd drive all the way to Escondido with a 6PM flight. I wouldn't go further north than La Jolla.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Balboa Park is absolutely beautiful.  I wandered in after a visit at the zoo and stayed much longer than planned.  So much to see.

if you can find a place for your luggage, cab fare is only $12 each way from the cruise ship.  I got to the zoo right as it opened and went back to the polar bears.  It was awesome! Just me, the bears, and a wonderful docent who told me great stories.  

10 hours ago, DanL said:

That is the question. Anyone have a recommendation for luggage fro ~9-4? 

I have never, ever used this service, so I am not giving it a ringing endorsement....  but it is a brilliant idea  wish I'd thought of.

Is it a company called Bagbnb and it is a network of businesses that will hold luggage for a reasonable fee, $6 a bag.

They don't tell you the address until after you have booked, but the most popular location in Downtown San Diego looks like it is either the Sofia Hotel or Bristol Hotel. I'd be fine using either.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, scottca075 said:

I love the SD Zoo Safari Park, but there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades I'd drive all the way to Escondido with a 6PM flight. I wouldn't go further north than La Jolla.

Yup. That’s a suicide mission. But if they do go, buy some ostrich eggs from the local vendor to take home and eat. 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, scottca075 said:

One hour each way I haven't had an issue.  However, as we Californians know freeway traffic is worse than a crap shoot in Vegas.  

• Haha 1