Need technical advice about IPs

WeBeCruisin'

I am technologically very challenged, but a situation has come up where I'm very upset and know there's an explanation somewhere for the problem.

On another travel board, I have been accused of creating a second name, which is against their policies. I wouldn't even know how to do such a thing, but the moderator has said that the IP was traced back to my s/n and threatened to ban me if I didn't confess and tell her why I did it.

I am totally innocent, but she insists that I am guilty. The person who supposedly used my IP address has never posted, but just lurked a few times. The other night, it showed BOTH of us online at the same time. Several of my friends said that proved I was innocent, but this moderator said that all it proved was that I was using multiple computers. I only have one computer, and would have no idea how to be on that computer with two screen/names at the same time.

This situation has caused a lot of dissension on that board, with most of the people appearing to believe me and support me in my innocence, but the moderator insists I am guilty and appears to be making no effort to find out what really happened.

I am concerned for two reasons: One, I am upset at being unfairly accused of something I didn't do, and of it being implied that I am a liar, and (Two), I am afraid that it could happen to someone else, and I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeal that I have suffered on that board over the last few days, and several people have told me that there's a possibility of identity theft involved in someone having my IP address.

As I said, the majority of people seemed to support me and believe me, but now the moderator of that board and someone who's apparently in charge of an e-mail link to that board have both censored any further discussion of the issue.

Since I know that I am innocent, I also know that there is some logical explanation how someone could have been able to use my IP to access that board.

Because I am on AOL, several people have suggested that AOL "rotates" numbers and sometimes gives people the same IP when traffic is high or something.

The moderator of this other travel board refuses to even consider anything except her opinion that I am guilty.

I'm sure someone out there has enough technical knowledge to be able to tell me what has happened, so I can exonerate myself.

The moderator seems to feel there is no need to try to find out what happened, and has said it is MY responsibility to prove my innocence, not theirs to prove I'm guilty. Isn't that somehow against what the American judicial system advocates? When I mentioned that, she told me I was trying to wrap myself in patriotism to get sympathy, and that I was "the biggest Drama Queen she had ever seen".

I'll let you be the judge as to the professionalism of that kind of comment.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help any of you can give me as to how this might have happened. Think of how badly you would feel if this happened to you.

Thanks,

Allen

IP 'Spoofing', and

Anonymous surfing (www.anonymizer.com).

Additionally, your ISP (in this case AOL) may play a role.

How do you connect to the internet? (dial up or broadband?). Do you know anything about renewing your IP address?

This is a sticky wicket area. But then, why worry about it? It's just a message board. Stick around here and make CC your 'preferred message board'. But, CC can lock out IP addresses also (I believe).

How do you connect to the internet? (dial up or broadband?). Do you know anything about renewing your IP address?

But then, why worry about it? It's just a message board.

I connect through Roadrunner, and then use AOL for an extra $14.95, because I've been on AOL for ten years, and it's simple enough for me to do most things. I know absolutely nothing about renewing IP addresses or anything like that.

I worry about it, because I am an extremely honest person, and do not lie, and it is a moral affront that someone can cavalierly insist that I'm guilty of something I didn't do. It's the principal of it.

Thanks for responding!

Allen

Because I am on AOL' date=' several people have suggested that AOL "rotates" numbers and sometimes gives people the same IP when traffic is high or something.

Thanks,

Allen[/quote']

That is true...I used to provide techincal support for desktop systems for gaming software. MANY people had problems with trying to connect to another person online via their IP address for that VERY issue you are describing. I'm not sure exactly how AOL does it, but yes they do rotate or switch IP addresses frequently. I would recommend trying another service provider. Sorry about your troubles, hope you can get them resolved.

Basically, most ISP's (AOL, Comcast, Verizon, etc) use a technology known as DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) to randomly assign IP addresses to computers on their network so they don't have to manually assign one to each of their millions of customers. Each address is assigned a lease of a particular length, after which time the lease is either renewed (meaning you'll keep the same address until the lease expires again) or reassigned to a different computer. However, if two computers have the same address, computers on the other end would not know which PC to send information back to, which ends up causing all kinds of havoc. It's pretty rare for a server to assign the same address to two systems, even during high-traffic periods. But it does happen.

That being said, it is also possible (and fairly easy, for a determined individual) to "spoof" an IP address, basically pretending they're you and intercepting network traffic intended for you or sending out messages as if they came from you. It's not likely that someone would go to that much trouble just to lurk on a message board, however.

To complicate matters further, if you are behind a router (likely if you have DSL or a cable modem), all computers in the same house share the same IP address, which is why they think you're just posting from two computers. This would create an interesting problem for my wife and I, as we both have CruiseCritic IDs and probably would on any other board too. (Actually, I also have a second CruiseCritic ID, as I wanted to change my username and couldn't figure out how to rename or delete an existing account, so I just created a new one. Anyone know how to get rid of the old account?)

Anyhow, to sum it up, I have no idea what the board moderator is smoking, as any two AOL customers could conceivably have had the same IP address at some time or another, and I fail to see how having two addresses makes a difference anyway. Yeesh!

Why bother with all that? If you're REALLY steamed (here's where I get flamed) hire a lawyer and have them send her a letter. Shouldn't cost too much to tell her to cease and desist or you would sue. Wouldn't she then have to prove her case against you to keep you from suing for slander/defamation/libel?

It really is a matter of ruining your name. I'm sure people on these different boards know who you are, you've met them on cruises or corresponded with them, and now they are being told that you are a malicious person. I would certainly want to put a stop to that given the millions of people who have access to the internet.

And, no, she doesn't sound very professional. I wish there was a way to identify and warn us away from the boards that might cause any one of us the same problems.

My heart goes out to you.

No, not for access, to stop someone from spreading vicious rumors about your integrity over the INTERNET which is what I thought he was concerned with. Just to write a letter, not to file a class action suit for millions, silly!

He seemed genuinely upset. So I gave him an option. Hardly worthy of all caps!!

A note for the "just unplug the modem" and "renew your DHCP" proponents out there...

In our area, Comcast has a rather interesting thing going. Insofar as is possible, the DHCP address is for all purposes static for a given MAC address. Mine has been the same for well over a year now. If I plug in my other router, or some other device, I get a different IP address. If I then plug in my regular router, Comcast returns the same IP address as it always has for that device. The IP address changes with the device being serviced. Go figure. Interesting, and VERY useful (I don't have to use a 2nd "IP registration server" company to keep track of my current IP address when I'm away from home).

To summarize: unplugging or renewing isn't any guarantee at all that you'll see a different IP address -- indeed, the IP address you obtain via DHCP may be as good as any static address for long periods of time, depending upon your ISP.

The moderator of this other travel board refuses to even consider anything except her opinion that I am guilty.

As others have noted, many ISPs use DHCP. That normally (see above for exceptions) produces different IP addresses for you from time to time. Only if you have purchased a static IP address (one that "belongs" to you and doesn't change -- and not all ISPs will offer them) can anyone even begin to consider pinning a particular IP on you. Copy and paste that to your non-techno-savvy moderator.

As a side note: if you know how to get to a DOS ("Command") prompt in Windoze, type IPCONFIG. You'll see whatever current address you've got.

My guess is that this other bulletin board system you're using logs the IP address you were using when you created the account. Whether or not you ever had that address again is a total crap shoot. You can post that to mr. moderator as well.

Here's a brief explanation of IP addresses. IP addresses are logical addresses that are associated with physical locations. That's how data gets to your computer. Think of it in terms of your postal address. Your street name and number are your logical address; your house is your physical address.

In dial-up, your modem connects to your ISP and is given address from a pool of addresses. That address is associated with your modem and once it disconnects, the address goes back into the pool to be re-distributed.

In broadband, your connection is always on. The public IP address is given to the modem by the ISP which passes the IP to your network card. If you have a router, then the public IP is passed to the router, which will then distribute private IP addresses to all the computers that connect to the router. The router becomes the device that's on the Internet and it translates the addresses for data coming and going to the different computers.

An IP address must be unique on a network, the same as your house number is unique to your house. Think about what would happen if your neighbor's address was the same as yours. The mailman wouldn't know where to deliver the mail.

In our area, Comcast has a rather interesting thing going. Insofar as is possible, the DHCP address is for all purposes static for a given MAC address.

Interesting note. For several years, I have had Comcast television service accounts at my home in PA, my vacation home in NJ (I know that sounds oxymoronic), and my mother has Comcast TV cable in FL. My only high speed internet service is paid for on my home account in PA. However, I have been able to unplug my cable modem, travel to any of the other locations, plug in the cable modem there, and Comcast has been able to find the MAC address of my cable modem and connect me in with my laptop, giving me high speed at any of these locations (to my DW's chagrin if she's not with me as it leaves her without at home.) What I did not know was that I was also keeping the same IP.

Now, however, Comcast is changing their system (and service commitment) to deliver internet service to a physical address only (my home) and changing their software, system by system, to do so. Just last month, I found that I could no longer get Comcast to recognize my cable modem if it was in FL, (which prompted my discussion with those folks to learn what they were up to.) Altho I do still have the connection in NJ since they haven't rolled out the change there yet.

Anyway, canderson, are you looking at the IP address that Comcast assigns to your cable modem, your router, or the address the router assigns to your computer to determine that the cable modem gets the same IP address? I don't know how to check the cable modem address (I know the router's and my computers'). Do I need a special tool to check that out or can I just do it from "Windoz".

Thanks,

Rick

Here's a brief explanation of IP addresses..

I kept trying to figure out what babaloo's comment "Spontaneous combustion does not happen by itself" (or something like that) and finally realized that it was a part of his signature, and totally unrelated to IPs. :o

Allen

Interesting note. For several years, I have had Comcast television service accounts at my home in PA, my vacation home in NJ (I know that sounds oxymoronic), and my mother has Comcast TV cable in FL. My only high speed internet service is paid for on my home account in PA. However, I have been able to unplug my cable modem, travel to any of the other locations, plug in the cable modem there, and Comcast has been able to find the MAC address of my cable modem and connect me in with my laptop, giving me high speed at any of these locations (to my DW's chagrin if she's not with me as it leaves her without at home.) What I did not know was that I was also keeping the same IP.
It is not at all likely that you've had the same IP address if you've moved around outside of the general area of your home in PA. What I meant to explain was that, on a particular node, if you plug in the same device, it's likely that you'll receive the same IP address. It's as though Comcast holds the prior address associated with a mac address for as long as possible on a given node, and if that device is unplugged and plugged in again later, there's a very good chance you'll have the same address. The only times that mine has changed is when they've done some sort of major rework to their network and the address moves to an entirely different range altogether. In three years, that's only happened once.

This makes it possible for me to access my home machine via an FTP server or to put up an html server and always "know where it is"... a very handy thing.

Now, however, Comcast is changing their system (and service commitment) to deliver internet service to a physical address only (my home) and changing their software, system by system, to do so. Just last month, I found that I could no longer get Comcast to recognize my cable modem if it was in FL, (which prompted my discussion with those folks to learn what they were up to.) Altho I do still have the connection in NJ since they haven't rolled out the change there yet.

Ah, but of course. They're trying to get you to buy the service in all of your "home" locations. Guess I can see the logic of that.

Anyway, canderson, are you looking at the IP address that Comcast assigns to your cable modem, your router, or the address the router assigns to your computer to determine that the cable modem gets the same IP address? I don't know how to check the cable modem address (I know the router's and my computers'). Do I need a special tool to check that out or can I just do it from "Windoz".

Thanks,

Rick

I am looking at the IP address that is assigned to the router. If I didn't have the router in the middle, I'd be looking at whatever was assigned to the PC attached to the cable modem. The cable modem doesn't actually get one of its own, but passes the DHCP address along to whatever is connected to it (router or PC).

This all first came up early on with my subscription to Comcast as I was noting that I always had always had the same DHCP address on my little router (for months). One day, I was checking another router out, and checking a direct PC connection as well. It was during all of this that I realized that the IP address was different depending upon which of my hardware was hooked up to the cable modem at a given moment in time.

I could swap back and forth between them, and noted that each piece of hardware would always cause a particular address. Prior to that, I had thought they were holding the address for as long as possible for my particular cable modem. Turned out it was holding the address for as long as possible for the mac address of what was being plugged INTO the cable modem. Hope that last paragraph really clarified it all!

But again, you wouldn't have had the same IP if you'd moved off of the node by leaving your immediate vicinity in PA, even though they'd recognize your cable modem and give you service elsewhere.

Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it, even though I don't understand half the comments being made. :o

There seem to be different responses to the primary question which is:

How can two different people be using the same IP? When that person appeared in the same cruise-related chatroom at the same time as I was in there, they were apparently using a different IP at that time. They apparently were using my IP when I wasn't online. I've asked the moderator several times to tell me at what time she "tracked" the IP to me, but she refuses to answer to know whether my computer was even on at the time. She also keeps insisting that I have more than one computer, or am networking, when I definitely am not. If I were paranoid, I would think she's making it all up just to get rid of me. As some of you know, I can be a little outspoken sometimes, especially when it comes to dress codes and chair hogs. :eek:

It seems like quite a few of you are saying that it is indeed possible for two people to have the same IP, although the odds of them being in the same chatroom at a give time seems highly unlikely (which I highly agree with) unless that person is maliciously "spoofing" my IP. This moderator who keeps saying I'm guilty says that it is impossible for someone else to use my IP and that she KNOWS it's me.

It's NOT impossible, because it happened, and I am being treated like a criminal because of it.

Allen

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Treated like a criminal? How very unprofessional of the moderator. I certainly hope that her accusations are being done behind the scenes and not in public for everyone to read.

I don't blame you. I'd be upset too.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Treated like a criminal? How very unprofessional of the moderator. I certainly hope that her accusations are being done behind the scenes and not in public for everyone to read.

I don't blame you. I'd be upset too.

All her responses have been public, and she has never responded to my response to her original threatening PM>

She used a PM to first inform me of her accusation, and told me that if I didn't have a valid explanation, I would be banned. She also said there was no point in denying it, because she had "Proof". The way she said it made me feel that the minute I pleaded my innocence I would be banned. I have a lot of friends on that board and since I thought I was going to be banned at any minute after I responded to the moderator's PM, i started a thread on that board, asking for help in understanding what had happened, stating my innocence and that I was told I would be banned, and asking for someone with technological knowledge to explain to her how it could be possible for someone else to use the same IP.

That moderator is also attacking me for starting that thread (one in which almost every single person believed me and supported me) and asked why I couldn't wait ten minutes to hear from her. I told her I didn't think I had ten minutes.... that I would be banned as soon as I told her I didn't do it.

Ironically, it was five hours before she responded, and then all her responses were public and on the thread which I had started.

It was on an e-mail Yahoo forum related to that travel board where she finally admitted that she had a long-standing dislike for me and where she called me the "biggest Drama Queen" she had ever seen.

Both the thread and the e-mail forum have been censored and people have been threatened with having their posts removed if they continue to discuss my situation or support me.

This leaves it, on that board, with her proclaiming my "guilt" and my being unable to even defend myself against her charges and with my fear that the way she squelched the whole issue may leave people thinking that I must be guilty.

Sigh.

Allen

Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it' date=' even though I don't understand half the comments being made. :o

There seem to be different responses to the primary question which is:

How can two different people be using the same IP? When that person appeared in the same cruise-related chatroom at the same time as I was in there, they were apparently using a different IP at that time. They apparently were using my IP when I wasn't online.

[/quote']

Let's make sure we're all clear. Has the moderator ever claimed to have seen two logins with the same IP at the SAME time? If so, that's another whole can of worms. Please let us know if that has ever happened.

The 2nd is still clear, I hope. With Roadrunner, you only "rent" your IP address while your equipment is on and running. Once turned off, your IP address can be assigned to someone else for use. There aren't an infinite number of addresses available, and companies like Roadrunner only have a fixed number for their customers... hence the re-use when they need to do so. If the moderator doesn't understand this concept, send 'em over here!

LAST: I can only imagine this happening and a moderator being so dense on the topic as to not realize what they're seeing ---

Please try to find your way to a DOS (Command) prompt and type IPCONFIG. What does this show for your IP address right now? It'll be the first set of numbers in the list.

Let's make sure we're all clear. Has the moderator ever claimed to have seen two logins with the same IP at the SAME time? If so, that's another whole can of worms. Please let us know if that has ever happened.

The 2nd is still clear, I hope. With Roadrunner, you only "rent" your IP address while your equipment is on and running. Once turned off, your IP address can be assigned to someone else for use. There aren't an infinite number of addresses available, and companies like Roadrunner only have a fixed number for their customers... hence the re-use when they need to do so. If the moderator doesn't understand this concept, send 'em over here!

LAST: I can only imagine this happening and a moderator being so dense on the topic as to not realize what they're seeing ---

No, the one time when the other person and I were on the board at the same time, that person had a different IP from mine. But, apparently, the other three times that person appeared were times when I wasn't online, although I can't get that moderator to tell me when it was that she found "proof" it was me. She told the boards publicly that it had to be me, because there was only one "hit" (or something) on that screen name which was my IP, whereas normally there or something like 20 or more. I have no idea what that means, but that's part of her "proof" that I'm guilty.

I've checked all my online financials and everything seems fine, and I've seen no evidence that my IP is being used to "spoof" e-mails and things as coming from me.

And the person who had my IP never posted anything. They just signed on and lurked. It seems like if anyone had done that for malicious purposes they wouldn't have just lurked. There have been no farther recurrences, because the moderator has banned that screen name. So, I guess it's possible a second innocent person, by being banned, is also paying for this "crime".

It perturbs me.:confused:

Allen

Archived