Public Bus Questions

PumpkinPatches

Hi!  I've read lots of posts about taking the public bus in Grand Cayman, but the threads were pretty old so forgive me for making yet another one!

I will be travelling to Grand Cayman with my hubby, 2yo and 8mo daughters next year.  We would like to go to the Turtle Farm and 7 Mile Beach.  I know the Yellow and Green-line buses stop there, but would the public buses there be suitable for my family (we will be bringing a stroller).  Here in Canada, kids don't have to pay bus fare.. does anyone know if we'd have to pay for the kids.

I've also read conflicting price information... I've heard it's $2.50 to get to the beaches/turtle farm and I've also heard $6.00.  Anyone know what it actually is?

Thanks!!

Sunset House recently update what they have to say about bus service:

Public Bus Service

A public mini-bus transport system connects all districts of Grand Cayman. The buses can be identified by numbers in a coloured circle.

There are some bus stops along major routes, but you can flag down a passing bus at any point. When you want to get off, just let your driver know.

Fares range from CI$2 for short trips to CI$5 for longer trips to East End or Cayman Kai. If you are going to the end of the line, check with the bus driver that there will be a bus coming to pick you up, especially if you’ll be traveling back late in the afternoon. For a small additional fee of CI$1–$3, it is possible to ask the driver to deviate a little from the bus route. 

The public bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. 

The Cayman Islands use the Cayman Dollar which is fixed to the US dollar at a rate of $1 Cayman = $1.25 US. That is why a $2 bus fare in local currency is noted here as $2.50 (USA) The bus will take either currency.

At the current exchange rate that makes the fare a bit more than $3 Canadian. I don't know if the bus will accept Canadian money but my guess is probably not.

Edited by Paul Bogle

16 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

At the current exchange rate that makes the fare a bit more than $3 Canadian. I don't know if the bus will accept Canadian money but my guess is probably not.

Canadian currency is not accepted anywhere in Cayman, except maybe a bank.  And that’s a maybe.  (I haven’t specifically tried, we bring US$ down with us.)