Just Back Off Voyager - Any Questions?

Back home off the Voyager of the Seas 9 day Asian cruise. Have submitted a rather long review which will be up once it is approved I guess, but if anyone has any questions or concerns about the ship I may be able to answer them.

Yes we had stops in Bangkok and Vietnam. Now we probably didn’t make very sensible decisions with our excursions and I always knew Asia wasn’t really my thing so I don’t want to put you off as most people love Asia. I see the review isn’t yet showing so keep an eye on the Voyager reviews and it should be up in the next day or so. If I could do it again I would have taken a full e xcursion in Bangkok, also in Ho Chi Minh City. Nga Trang is easy on your own or the Vin Pearl resort we could see across the bay looked nice too but very expensive. Hoi An was beautiful, we did the On Your Own and I think that was the best choice as the heat was very intense so could take a break as required, but maybe it is not so hot at other times of the year. Another couple of friends who were also the on the cruise quite enjoyed the floating markets but said it was mostly just souvenirs and they went to the Pattaya on your own and didn’t like that much, they said it was another big city with a beach, not quaint like they expected. It really depends on what you like, I like quiet, relaxing, history but not not temples so much. You might be the opposite but I hope this helps as I know I struggled to get much information. Be aware that Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) are a couple of hours away by bus, Hoi An was perhaps 1.5 hours away so the only stop you could do your own thing was NGA Trang

We're planning on a tour to Ho Chi Minh and doing the others on our own I think. We've been to Bangkok before so were thinking of going to Pattaya just to have a look around. Did you friends use shuttle type transport from the ship or a local bus or taxi?

I'll look out for your full review, it's great to have some more info on these cruises.

Our friends took the ships excursion “Pattaya on your own”. They had previously visited Bangkok too and enjoyed it but felt they had seen what they wanted there, so hoped Pattaya would be fun but they were a bit disappointed. 

Daisy, I've just read your review, it was very informative thanks.

We booked the  'Lacquerware Factory, Central Market and Dong Khoi Street' excursion that you did just the other day and I have a question. Did you have free time on your own at Dong Khoi St and if so about how long? The description is not very clear. The market sounds interesting :classic_laugh:, DH loves anything like that and will haggle for hours so I'll just stay with him.

Hi, yes sorry I forgot about Dong Khoi St. They dropped us at a posh hotel at the end of the street by the waterfront where we were allowed to use the facilities if needed and I think we had about an hour and a half on our own to wander about. Typically we just found a cool bar and sat and watched the world go by as it was too hot to do much else.  Watch out when they kindly bring you packets of moist hand wipes with your drink - they charge you for them even though you didn't ask for them lol. Up the other end of the street there were the high end shops, Gucci etc if I remember right. Good luck in the market, your DH might have met his match in those ladies! We figured out later that the stalls around the outer walls have sign that it is a fixed price area so there is no (or very little) haggling and it was a very much more peaceful experience. Have fun!

• Like 1

Gidday, TraceyG here.

Thank you for doing a review, will look out for that.

Our whanau are booked for Voyager in March 2020, just wondering if you have any idea regarding the AMPed program for VOTS?

Have heard that Voyager is getting a Mariner of the Seas style of upgrade, but have also heard that the VOTS one will be minor.

Traveling with a multi generational group so a lot of interest in a variety of facilities.

Thank you 😀

TraceyG

Hi Tracey, I don’t know much about the upgrade, I think there will still be less features than the really huge ships but it is a beautiful ship and there was more than enough to do anyway. For the younger ones there was already ice skating, rock climbing, flow rider, movies etc and I thought I heard they were adding a hydro slide but I’m not certain. I don’t think anyone will be bored.

The shows were good. I’ve just checked the daily Cruise Compass and besides the ice show which really was brilliant, there was Broadway Rhythm & Rhyme, The Aussie Boys (would have been good except it was a bit too Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi if you know what I mean). There was a vocalist on the night in a Bangkok but we were back too late to see that. Then a magic show which we didn’t go to as we don’t like magic shows, then a production show “music in Pictures, then a comedian Jeff Green who was good. Then an 80s show , then a tribute to Queen “Rock Rhapsody”, then a comedy, juggling and magic show we didn’t go to. There were also numerous game shows, the traditional mr & mrs game show which was hilarious, dance classes, karaoke etc etc. big 4th hope f July party and a 70s party in the promenade. I forgot a lot of this until I got the Cruise Compass out. I see my review is up now too if you want to check it out. Hope this helps 🙂

Yes I know there have been scathing reviews but honestly every cruise and every hotel I have done has had reviews where you wonder if you were in the same place. If you go with a positive frame of mind you will enjoy it, if you are looking for problems you will find them. This was a great ship and you will have a wonderful time 😊

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Diasy 

Can you tell me aprox how much a soft drink and coffee was on board? Deciding if we get coffee card and drinks package. I don't drink alcohol I'm allergic so just the soda package. Also do you know if you can take your drinks on board as in cordial (like a juice you mix with water if your not from Australia not sure what it's called elsewhere) we use it when we get upset tummy when travelling. Thanks in advance