Explorer 2 from Newcastle

I think disembarking starts around 8am for people who have transport to the train or for coaches. Then in stages, we were last off the ship last year at 9.30 which suited us as we could have a leisurely breakfast after the crowds have gone.

2 hours ago, oscarshep said:

Looking at Explorer 2 from Newcastle july 2020. Ship docks back in Newcastle at 6.00am. Does anyone know what time you have to be off the ship by?   

Last week it was between  7:45 and 10:55 but they tended to be 30mins ahead of time ,what transport method would you be ,i can tell you what it was but as for next year who knows

2 hours ago, oscarshep said:

Was thinking be able to travel by car and leave somewhere near port. If this was an option

Was looking at same cruise and on their website you can pay to leave the car at the port 

BOOK PORT PARKING y
+£73.50 Per Car 

How many cars?

1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Total cost £73.50

There is a Premier Inn 10 minutes walk from the port.  They allow you to leave your car in their car park if you have stayed overnight, you just give them a donation for their chosen charity. Depends whether you are happy leaving your car.

Another thought before booking....as we usually do the Med and take appropriate cool summer clothing for going ashore, excursions etc I need advice on how previous cruisers have found Norwegian summer weather, especially for sightseeing trips.

Last summer was fantastic, 27 degrees when we were there. However won't  always be like that so you need to take a fleece and waterproof jacket.  Great thing is no luggage restrictions like when flying.  We were a bit apprehensive but so pleased we went and would  love to go again.

3 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

There is a Premier Inn 10 minutes walk from the port.  They allow you to leave your car in their car park if you have stayed overnight, you just give them a donation for their chosen charity. Depends whether you are happy leaving your car.

Checked premier inn before we went two weeks ago ,they only wanted £95 for the night before  ,plus you are going to be leaving a donation mmmmm

Yes with Premier Inn you need to book well in advance, we only paid £40 for the night so it was a no brainer to stay.  We didn't choose to leave our car but parked on someone's drive nearby via justparking.com

• 2 weeks later...

We've booked for Aug 20 (we like to plan ahead) from Newcastle.

We'll fly over from NI the day before embarkation, then fly home maybe the evening of when we return or the day after.

Whats the latest we are likely to get away with leaving the ship at?  We're in no rush off as we've no coach or train to catch

2 minutes ago, pgilc1 said:

We'll fly over from NI the day before embarkation, then fly home maybe the evening of when we return or the day after.

Whats the latest we are likely to get away with leaving the ship at?  We're in no rush off as we've no coach or train to catch

Last year we were the last off at 9.30am.  We arrived at 6am and most people rushed into breakfast as they had coaches or shuttles to catch. We waited and had a nice relaxed breakfast before leaving.  Don't forget the new people start embarking just after 12 noon so they need to turn the ship round quickly.

6 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Last year we were the last off at 9.30am.  We arrived at 6am and most people rushed into breakfast as they had coaches or shuttles to catch. We waited and had a nice relaxed breakfast before leaving.  Don't forget the new people start embarking just after 12 noon so they need to turn the ship round quickly.

Were they giving you the nudge to leave at that point?

I'd be happy enough with 09:30., as as you say they're trying to get the ship ready for the next cruise.

Mind you, we did cruise only with Dream back in March and we stayed on the ship until around 17:30 and noone batted an eyelid.  I think on it it was "just be off it by the time we're leaving".

29 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Think that's always the case when catching a flight home. 

Yes though in our case, we wont be - as far as disembarking is concerned.

Edited by pgilc1

49 minutes ago, pgilc1 said:

Were they giving you the nudge to leave at that point?

I'd be happy enough with 09:30., as as you say they're trying to get the ship ready for the next cruise.

As I recall we were called in groups, those with transport etc first. We were called last - I guess that was our nudge!

• Like 1

I've noticed when booking online through TUI there is an area to enter a discount code - anyone know where to find one? Perhaps it is just available for previous passengers. Hey every little savings helps! Thanks!

5 hours ago, pgilc1 said:

This year its around 9:15 to get to terminal building ,anything after that  (up to about 10:30)would be to the car park, note: you cant walk from ship to terminal building as you like

Edited by okavango

15 minutes ago, okavango said:

This year its around 9:15 to get to terminal building ,anything after that  (up to about 10:30)would be to the car park, note: you cant walk from ship to terminal building as you like

What way does luggage work then?  Do you pick it up from the cruise terminal?  How do people going from the ship -> car park get their luggage?

Not wildly bothered for the sake of an hour.  Would still give us plenty of time to get breakfast and leave, but just curious.

6 hours ago, shook said:

I've noticed when booking online through TUI there is an area to enter a discount code - anyone know where to find one? Perhaps it is just available for previous passengers. Hey every little savings helps! Thanks!

Google .......(Marella discount codes ) usually shows all of the current ones.

available for all I believe.

Edited by Brummijam