Questions about Sojourn in Alaska

wildcat68

We are booked, just recently, for the August 31 Sojourn trip South to Vancouver.  I have a couple questions.  We have not sailed Seabourn for about three years.

1.  There was mention of blue jackets in a recent review.  Are these automatically provided for our use while on the cruise?

2.  When we last sailed there was an opportunity to request liquor to be stalked in your stateroom.  Is this still the case or is it small bottles in the mini bar?

3.  The Grill has apparently changed to a tough reservation.  Is this likely to affect a cold weather cruise?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is a start.  Thanks for the replies in advance.

The blue jackets will be automatically issued to you and are yours to keep.  You will need to tell Seabourn which size you will need. 

Your room will be stocked with the liquor of your choice.  These are not mini bottles, but rather full size bottles.  We never even opened ours during a 23 day cruise!  

I'm not sure what you mean in your question about the Thomas Keller Grill and how it will be affected by a cold weather cruise.  (By the way, I just heard from a friend just home from an Alaskan cruise and she said it was quite hot!)  You might make your reservation at the grill ahead of your cruise.  Of course you could reserve a time after you arrive on the ship, but the best times might already be taken. 

Thanks, the Thomas Keller question was odd in that I thought it was outside.  New since we last cruised Seabourn.  

4.  What is the Seabourn massage offered as a perk for Silver?  Is it a free massage of choice or an abbreviated massage that may need an additional fee to enjoy?  Subjective for sure !

22 minutes ago, wildcat68 said:

Thanks, the Thomas Keller question was odd in that I thought it was outside.  New since we last cruised Seabourn.  

4.  What is the Seabourn massage offered as a perk for Silver?  Is it a free massage of choice or an abbreviated massage that may need an additional fee to enjoy?  Subjective for sure !

Oh---I think you are thinking of Earth and Ocean---the name for the new outdoor restaurant concept on the Seabourn ships.  It WAS too cold for us to enjoy Earth and Ocean very much on our Kobe to Vancouver cruise (which included Alaska of course).  But, as the weather has warmed this summer, you may be able to enjoy Earth and Ocean.  We really like the concept AND the food they are serving.  

Thanks again SLSD.  Did you enjoy the Thomas Keller?  I booked it for us but we generally don't like to eat late and our reservation is 8:30pm.  I'll try to get an earlier one on board.  Actually, the MDR is usually very nice, and much more flexible.

We do  enjoy Thomas Keller.  We have probably had about 10 meals there now.  While not everyone likes the restaurant, we have enjoyed it.  We especially like it on the Sojourn where it is small and cozy.  My husband loves the lamb chops, while I have enjoyed the sole.  The side dishes include some yummy macaroni (something we seldom eat elsewhere) as well has a healthy wilted spinach (or creamed spinach if you prefer) and a number of other things.  The steak is VERY thick (I like mine thinner) and the roasted chicken is VERY salty (some really like it, too salty for me).  My husband loves the clam chowder and I marvel at the giant prawns. I think there is something for everyone on the menu, so I hope you get to try it.  8:30pm is late for us too and you would miss the evening's show (if it is something you would like to see).  

Hi Mike, Ann says the massage is an abbreviated one, maybe 25 minutes, and they try to sell you more things.  They will tell you what they think is wrong with you, and what you need to buy from them to get better.  She recommends the wine discount , although the bags of laundry are nice.  (We have been cruising a lot since we cruised together on Odyssey TA, and are now platinum, which eliminates having to choose among benefits.)

Peter & Ann

Edited by FlyingScotSailors

The massage is 20 minutes long. neither my wife or myself have ever been offered products to purchase.  We both love the quiet 20 minute massage and get one every cruise. It also allows you to test drive the massage therapist in the event you want a full length massage later in the cruise.  Do it 🙂

4 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Hi Mike, Ann says the massage is an abbreviated one, maybe 25 minutes, and they try to sell you more things.  They will tell you what they think is wrong with you, and what you need to buy from them to get better.  She recommends the wine discount , although the bags of laundry are nice.  (We have been cruising a lot since we cruised together on Odyssey TA, and are now platinum, which eliminates having to choose among benefits.)

Peter & Ann

Peter and Ann, really nice to hear from you.  I figured the massage would be short.  Think we’ll go with the bags of laundry.  Hopefully will have decent weather and, I’ll try to drain some Single Malt as a tribute to you.  Thanks for the post.

Does the massage happen in the Spa?  The reason I ask is.. there was a sort of massage stool set up on the Pool deck but inside by the glass in front of the stairs near the TK Grill and people were having massages there.  I did wonder at the time if that was the signature massage?

I'm not sure I would like it there, I'd feel a bit exposed!  

5 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Does the massage happen in the Spa?  The reason I ask is.. there was a sort of massage stool set up on the Pool deck but inside by the glass in front of the stairs near the TK Grill and people were having massages there.  I did wonder at the time if that was the signature massage?

On the quest a few weeks ago there was a brief (5-10 minute) chair massage offered on the pool deck.  It was a freebie, just a pop up kind of thing.  I liked the therapist and asked for her when I booked a spa massage. I usually upgrade the loyalty massage to an hour (well, 50 minutes), I don’t recall then trying to upsell.  

Edited by jozi
Omitted a word

7 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Yes the Seabourn Club massage is performed in the SPA.  I've never had them try to sell me products but they do sometimes push to get you to upgrade the massage.