How does thie "upgrade thing" work?

Riley's Mom

I have finally talked my sister and her husband into going on a cruise with us and they have opted to book an oceanview guarantee..Could she possibly get upgraded to a balcony? If so how does that work and when would she find out?? Also is ther a way to find out her cabin number a few weeks before the cruise?

Does she need to ask for an upgrade at the peir or if she gets one will it be automatically assigned??

Thanks,

Carla

I have finally talked my sister and her husband into going on a cruise with us and they have opted to book an oceanview guarantee..Could she possibly get upgraded to a balcony? If so how does that work and when would she find out?? Also is ther a way to find out her cabin number a few weeks before the cruise?

Does she need to ask for an upgrade at the peir or if she gets one will it be automatically assigned??

Thanks' date='

Carla[/quote']

I wouldn't count on a balcony. Typically the upgrades are within the same category, just higher decks. So they may be moved from a 6A to a 6D, still oceanview, just a higher deck. Rarely people get lucky and get bumped from inside to OV or OV to balcony, or balcony to suite... but it is rare. If she wants a balcony, tell her to book a balcony. She doesn't need to ask for an upgrade, unless she wants to pay for one... if she does get an upgrade, she will find out when she gets her docs, a few weeks before the cruise, or at the pier.

Depends on the ship. If it's a fantasy or Holiday class ship, forget it. The only balcony rooms are suites and your chances are not good. However if it's a Spirit, Destiny, or Conquest-class ship their chances are better because there are many standard balcony cabins. Even then it's a longshot, but you never know.

Sometimes they will assign your room a few weeks prior and you can usually check that via the website. However sometimes you will literally not know until you embark the ship.

No point in asking for an upgrade at embarkation, Carnival sends every ship full, one way or another.

I booked a 6A OV GTY over a year ago for the Triumph sailing 3/18. My TA called this week to tell me that my cabin has been assigned and it's a 8C balcony midship. I could not believe it. Sometimes miracles do happen although I have prepared myself mentally to be downgraded at some point even though the cabin number has been assigned.

I booked on the Elation in July 05. Katrina happened and rebooked on Conquest in Sept for the same week. Booked GTY Interior...just saw cabin is an OV. :D On the Main Deck 2 but we'll take it.

Course, for 3/19 Carnival is offering lots of upgrades for new bookings...maybe an "empty" cruise?!?!

rns

We booked a 7A (obstructed balcony) guarantee on Legend 3/17 sailing. Found out last week that we were upgraded to 8F. How often have you seen an upgrade taken away? I am happy with where we landed and hope we don't have it give it up. Has anyone had that experience?

We booked a 7A (obstructed balcony) guarantee on Legend 3/17 sailing. Found out last week that we were upgraded to 8F. How often have you seen an upgrade taken away? I am happy with where we landed and hope we don't have it give it up. Has anyone had that experience?

It does happen, some people on the boards have had it happen, but it is rare... just don't get your hopes up TOO high, and hopefully it will stick! Once it is printed on your docs, you can feel a little safer. Good luck!

We booked a 1A guarantee and a 4A guarantee and we've been upgraded to two 6A's that are adjoining cabins for our upcoming cruise on the Conquest. We are thrilled and hope that they stick! I know it's early for docs, but I must admit that I check the mail everyday hoping they will be there.:p

I think it's also how far the prices drop...for an 'upgrade', if you're booked in a 6(whatever) guar and the price of, say, a balcony drop to within the 6(whatever) range, then you could get that balcony. My pvp told me that if the prices drop enough between now and next April that I could snag one of those lovely 9A's (booked in 8A guar now).

As an aside, we're sailing on the Conquest and my pvp said that there were no 8A obstructed view rooms so I didn't need to worry about that...is this true?

I think it's also how far the prices drop...for an 'upgrade', if you're booked in a 6(whatever) guar and the price of, say, a balcony drop to within the 6(whatever) range, then you could get that balcony. My pvp told me that if the prices drop enough between now and next April that I could snag one of those lovely 9A's (booked in 8A guar now).

As an aside, we're sailing on the Conquest and my pvp said that there were no 8A obstructed view rooms so I didn't need to worry about that...is this true?

No, 8A's are not obstructed...

We leave 04/03 and the upgrade fairy did nothing for us, we booked an oceanview guarantee, and we got a room on the Riviera deck, which honestly is fine with me, but dh was a little put out. I told dh from now on, you book the floor you want, do not listen to them when they tell you to book guarantee and you will be upgraded, stuff happens!

We leave 04/03 and the upgrade fairy did nothing for us, we booked an oceanview guarantee, and we got a room on the Riviera deck, which honestly is fine with me, but dh was a little put out. I told dh from now on, you book the floor you want, do not listen to them when they tell you to book guarantee and you will be upgraded, stuff happens!

Our last 2 cruises our room assignments were changed at check in. so maybe still a glimmer of hope :)

We're sailing on the Triumph Feb 25th and booked a balcony guarantee. I noticed in the My Cruise section that we are currently assigned a Balcony Suite Stateroom. I posted a question about that for more experienced input before I started jumping up & down. :D Serene56 told me to look on the bottom back of our sign & sail doc. Sure enough! Following our booking # was our assigned room #. Not a suite actually but we're still very pleased to be on the Lido deck!

Where on Carnival.com would I possibly find the room assignment, if it were there? We booked an inside guarantee - figured that it really didn't matter, we weren't planning on hanging out in our room...but curiosity is getting to me!!! We booked thru a TA, so would it not show on carnival.com?? We don't leave till March 25.

Thanks!

Where on Carnival.com would I possibly find the room assignment, if it were there? We booked an inside guarantee - figured that it really didn't matter, we weren't planning on hanging out in our room...but curiosity is getting to me!!! We booked thru a TA, so would it not show on carnival.com?? We don't leave till March 25.

Thanks!

I went to the carnival site & clicked at the top of the page on "My Cruise". (You will have to register to access the information.) When my cruise page came up, I clicked on "upgrade stateroom" in the middle right of the page. On the next screen, I saw where it said you are currently assigned (in my case) BL-Suite Stateroom. Before I got all excited about the possibility of having been assigned a GREAT room I asked the board if BL-Suite Stateroom really meant what I thought it meant. Look for the Balcony Guarantee? post. It should be on the first 3 pages. Serene56's post to my question was on the money.

Don't know why your cruise wouldn't be on the carnival site. All you need to register for your cruise details is your booking # and some personal info. Good luck! :)

Hello all!

I'm sailing on the Miracle on 2/12/06. :D And I just read a the same tip about the numbers at the bottem of your docs giving away your cabin assignment. That one didn't quite work for me, but I did follow a tip that suggested going on the gifts section and ordering or "pretending" you want to order something. Sure enough a room number came that suggests an upgrade from 7a to an 8f.

I'm not quite doing the hokey pokey yet but I have my fingers crossed.

I did order a cake to the room at any rate.

Happy Valentine's Day!! At $12 I can afford having it sent to my table at dinner, but I'm hoping to suprise hubby when we embark.

Upgrade fairy shine on me!!!!;)

Take care all!

Lisa

We booked 2-4A Guarentees, and 2 Balcony Cabins... the TA told us that we are the first on the list for upgrades because we are a wedding party (my brother is getting married on the ship in Miami before we set sail). If anything, we are all hoping my brother and his wife to be will be upgraded to a suit. Our sailing is on the Valor 3/19. Were keeping our fingers crossed.

I have checked around on My Cruise on Carnival.com, I am registered, but I'm thinking that since we booked thru a travel agent, maybe we don't have the option of finding our cabin info online. I tried to "buy a gift" and it asks for my cruise confirmation # and cabin #, which of course, I don't have...and it doesn't auto-fill. I don't think that we'll know until we get our docs or maybe even upon boarding......booo hoooo. I'll just keep my fingers x'd...that would be cool!!!

Archived