Our Civitavecchia experience - taxi right to the ship!

Crowls

I thought I would post a little about our experience at Civitavecchia after a friend just asked me for details...I hope this helps someone as much as these boards assisted with our plans!

We were on the Celebrity Infinity, departing Civitavecchia July 6th.  Here is our experience and what we did - hopefully it provides some insight for others planning:

• Took high-speed train from Rome to Civitavecchia around 11am (arrived in Civitavecchia around 11:45 I think - we missed the rush of those boarding but in plenty of time before sailing).
  • A note for those who have large luggage or issues with stairs: there are a few stairs down and back up again (you have to get off the train, down stairs, thru a hall which takes you under the tracks and back up stairs to get into the station).
  • There were quite a number of taxi vans lined up. They were grouping people by cruise line and offering 5 Euro per person to take you to port.
  • I can't comment on the shuttle situation as we opted for taxi but one bonus of a cab was convenience.  Grab a cab and they drive you right to the ship!  (Yes, right to the ship - no transferring, no walking with luggage)  
  • We were boarding the ship within 15 min of getting off the train.  

I had read mixed reviews about the taxis - they would/not take you right to the ship.  So I asked our driver - take it for what it is worth but she said that all taxi vans from the station have a permit to drive you right into port.  This was of value to us as we had luggage and 2 cranky teens ;) and while we are usually quite active there was something about a 35 degree day, luggage, teens and walking that just didn't appeal to us; taxi was quick and easy!

38 minutes ago, Crowls said:

I had read mixed reviews about the taxis - they would/not take you right to the ship.  So I asked our driver - take it for what it is worth but she said that all taxi vans from the station have a permit to drive you right into port.  This was of value to us as we had luggage and 2 cranky teens 😉 and while we are usually quite active there was something about a 35 degree day, luggage, teens and walking that just didn't appeal to us; taxi was quick and easy!

Good to hear your recent experience. I agree the hassle-factor would certainly be less going by taxi and only loading/unloading once.

Regarding the issue of whether taxis can take you right to the ship -- they can. I believe the issue comes into play more on the disembarkation end. In other words, the port authorities will let in taxis with passengers going to board a ship, but they will not necessarily let in random taxis to the port without passengers onboard or some type of pre-reservation confirmation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crowls said:

I thought I would post a little about our experience at Civitavecchia after a friend just asked me for details...I hope this helps someone as much as these boards assisted with our plans!

We were on the Celebrity Infinity, departing Civitavecchia July 6th.  Here is our experience and what we did - hopefully it provides some insight for others planning:

• Took high-speed train from Rome to Civitavecchia around 11am (arrived in Civitavecchia around 11:45 I think - we missed the rush of those boarding but in plenty of time before sailing).
  • A note for those who have large luggage or issues with stairs: there are a few stairs down and back up again (you have to get off the train, down stairs, thru a hall which takes you under the tracks and back up stairs to get into the station).
  • There were quite a number of taxi vans lined up. They were grouping people by cruise line and offering 5 Euro per person to take you to port.
  • I can't comment on the shuttle situation as we opted for taxi but one bonus of a cab was convenience.  Grab a cab and they drive you right to the ship!  (Yes, right to the ship - no transferring, no walking with luggage)  
  • We were boarding the ship within 15 min of getting off the train.  

I had read mixed reviews about the taxis - they would/not take you right to the ship.  So I asked our driver - take it for what it is worth but she said that all taxi vans from the station have a permit to drive you right into port.  This was of value to us as we had luggage and 2 cranky teens 😉 and while we are usually quite active there was something about a 35 degree day, luggage, teens and walking that just didn't appeal to us; taxi was quick and easy!

5€ per person is a pretty good deal...especially when you have luggage.  Using the shuttle bus to free port bus would have cost you 2€ per person and the convenience of a taxi is worth the few extra dollars :).  On most of our visits to Civitavecchia there have been few or no taxis and those waiting did not want the short haul to the port.  Interesting that you found lots of taxis.  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

5€ per person is a pretty good deal...especially when you have luggage.  Using the shuttle bus to free port bus would have cost you 2€ per person and the convenience of a taxi is worth the few extra dollars :).  On most of our visits to Civitavecchia there have been few or no taxis and those waiting did not want the short haul to the port.  Interesting that you found lots of taxis.  

Hank

I had read that as well that there can be a shortage.....we were chatting with another couple who shared our van with us and they mentioned they have found the same shortage previously (sounds like they go out of that port every summer).  Not sure if it is because we arrived after the rush or not but there were at least 8 parked there in the little lot and the drivers were lining folks up based on what ship they wanted to go to.  Overall it worked great for us!  I hope it runs smooth for others as it was fabulous on such a hot day! :)

I think the lack of taxis occur if Civitavecchia is not the Primary embarkation/disembarkation point and time of day. Civitavecchia was not the primary embarkation point, it was on a Wednesday and we arrived in Civitavecchia around 11am. didn't see a single taxi.

What was the cost of the high speed train from Rome and was the Rome train station easy to navigate?  We will have a group of 6 starting from a yet to be selected hotel in Rome next June.  Traveling with teens/young adults so prefer to immerse them in culture but weighing adventure/cost vs convenience of private transfer.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, mtmomof3 said:

What was the cost of the high speed train from Rome and was the Rome train station easy to navigate?  We will have a group of 6 starting from a yet to be selected hotel in Rome next June.  Traveling with teens/young adults so prefer to immerse them in culture but weighing adventure/cost vs convenience of private transfer.

The intercity 510 train that leaves Rome at 9:57am arriving in Civitavecchia at 10:45, the price for 2nd class fare is 11.50 Euro pp, 1st class is 15.50 euro. This train makes only 1 in between stop in Ostiense. In 1st class, where the seats are facing away from one another, there is room for suitcases. The duration of this Intercity train is only 1 min longer than that of a Frecce that will cost more. I bought 1st class tickets and you will need to lift your bags up. I do not know if that is the same for 2nd class seating.

I thought the Train Station in Rome is very easy to navigate. There are several large screen that display all the departures and the platform they are going to be at.