Single Cabin Supplement DISGRACE !!

The single supplement charged for Dream is an absolute disgrace and Marella should be ashamed !

We were on there last Xmas so know the singles right up front are very small as Dad had one then.  Just looking for March

next year and twin for me and hubby £1200 ish each.... Dad on his own as widower so not choice.... 83 years of age... eats like a sparrow so wont empty self service....   £2100.... how the hell do they justify that !  Complete rip off.

The cruise you mention is a 75% supplement which is higher than I have ever paid on Marella. I have 2 cruises booked next year, one with a 33% supplement and the other with 61%, about what I normally pay on P&O. No idea why they vary so much, my last cruise with Marella this spring was a 13% supplement. Maybe check out other cruise lines.

Have you considered booking a suite and sharing with your dad instead?

Depending on the design on the ship selected you can get a lot of privacy and you often find you both get a better space for the money paid. Certainly better value than £2100 for a tiny cabin.

Some lines also offer the third person for free / a reduction when sharing a cabin.

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have you considered booking a suite and sharing with your dad instead?

Depending on the design on the ship selected you can get a lot of privacy and you often find you both get a better space for the money paid. Certainly better value than £2100 for a tiny cabin.

Some lines also offer the third person for free / a reduction when sharing a cabin.

I looked at the Dream cruises for March and it appears the double cabin price quoted was a suite without balcony, no idea why it is so cheap. I have occupied one of those when I took my elderly mother on a surprise cruise for her 80'th birthday. It is a very generous size with an entirely separate double bedroom and a pair of bunk beds in the lounge area, Also the bathroom has a jacuzzi bath and there is a separate wardrobe room.. I had the bunk bed and my mother had the bedroom.. To be honest I did not find the bunk bed comfortable, luckily the huge sofa was a lot better.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 6:55 PM, CarrpeDiem said:

The single supplement charged for Dream is an absolute disgrace and Marella should be ashamed !

We were on there last Xmas so know the singles right up front are very small as Dad had one then.  Just looking for March

next year and twin for me and hubby £1200 ish each.... Dad on his own as widower so not choice.... 83 years of age... eats like a sparrow so wont empty self service....   £2100.... how the hell do they justify that !  Complete rip off.

Since Marella went AI I think all their prices are a rip off but even more so for solo passengers.

My brother- in- law travels on his own and has been with Thomson several times and used to get a reasonably  good deal on a single cabin or twin for sole occupancy.  Not any more with Marella.  

It's such a shame solos have to pay so much for cabins which can be noisy and in the least attractive locations on the ship. 

I hope you find something to suit all of you and your dad enjoys his cruise in a good cabin at a decent price.

In addition to the Solo upcharge I pay extra for an outside cabin which on the Discoverys and Explorers include a nice big window, so a double cabin with a window. I was a little disappointed with my latest Explorer 2 cabin which was in the very most pointest bit of the ship. So having paid extra for an outside cabin I got a tiny porthole looking down a half metre long tube. I think I will just book an inside cabin next time on E2.

9 minutes ago, GOQ said:

In addition to the Solo upcharge I pay extra for an outside cabin which on the Discoverys and Explorers include a nice big window, so a double cabin with a window. I was a little disappointed with my latest Explorer 2 cabin which was in the very most pointest bit of the ship. So having paid extra for an outside cabin I got a tiny porthole looking down a half metre long tube. I think I will just book an inside cabin next time on E2.

Always pays to do your research!. As I understand it the inside singles on E2 are all on deck 8 forward. I have one booked for next year but won't bother reserving one because there have only been good reports about those cabins so far

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, nancyneptune said:

Since Marella went AI I think all their prices are a rip off but even more so for solo passengers.

My brother- in- law travels on his own and has been with Thomson several times and used to get a reasonably  good deal on a single cabin or twin for sole occupancy.  Not any more with Marella.  

It's such a shame solos have to pay so much for cabins which can be noisy and in the least attractive locations on the ship. 

I hope you find something to suit all of you and your dad enjoys his cruise in a good cabin at a decent price.

which is why I don't cruise on Celebration anymore. The Discoveries and Explorers are good if you chose your cabin carefully.

I made the mistake of booking a single cabin on P&O Ventura. It was truly awful with constant loud creaking and squeaking from the walls and ceiling, so loud you could not sleep. After the first night they moved me but the replacement cabin was better but not perfect

Edited by davecttr

The solo cabins on Discovery 1&2 and Explorer 1 are all located in limited clusters or groups  on the ship so there does not seem to be much point in reserving a specific cabin. However on Explorer 2 and Dream they are scattered about the ship so there is a reason for reserving a cabin. I was not aware from the deck plans that cabins 5000 to 5008 have portholes rather than windows. Now I know from experience. So, like yourself, I might choose a deck 8 inside cabin next time, not take the risk, and save a bit of cash.

Edited by GOQ
X

I was on Explorer 2 in April 5037 single outside..... lovely cabin with a window. Booked on Discovery single outside deck 3 and there are only 15 in a row all of which have windows not portholes. Research is essential and always ask the question on these or other forums.....they are a great help. As for the pricing.....it’s an unfortunate downside of solo cruising but it’s the same with holidays, hotels etc. I do wish that this could be addressed and made fairer especially as more and more people are requiring solo travel for all sorts of reasons but I’ll not hold my breath 🥴😆. Happy travels to all solo cruisers.....just ensure you get your money’s worth 🚢🎉🥂🍹

??

What cruise and from where are you getting those prices from??

I just plugged in March 2020, out of any London airport (Luton) and Marella Dream.  First one i came to - Continental Coasts, single outside cabin, all inclusive £1169.

https://www.tui.co.uk/cruise/packages?from[]=LGW%3AAirport|LTN%3AAirport|STN%3AAirport&to[]=&when=01-03-2020&flexibility=false&flexibleMonths=1&duration=1-7&addAStay=0&until=&noOfAdults=1&noOfChildren=0&childrenAge=&searchRequestType=ins&searchType=search&sp=true&page=1&unit=&room=

Cruise.PNG

??

I just plugged in March 2020, out of any London airport (Luton) and Marella Dream.  First one i came to - Continental Coasts, single outside cabin, all inclusive £1169.

https://www.tui.co.uk/cruise/packages?from[]=LGW%3AAirport|LTN%3AAirport|STN%3AAirport&to[]=&when=01-03-2020&flexibility=false&flexibleMonths=1&duration=1-7&addAStay=0&until=&noOfAdults=1&noOfChildren=0&childrenAge=&searchRequestType=ins&searchType=search&sp=true&page=1&unit=&room=

In fact, all five cruises that Dream is doing next March, single room -

• Continental Coasts £1169
  • Spirit of Iberia £1243
  • Continental Coasts £1169
  • Spirit of Iberia £1215
  • Continental Coasts £1124

??

What is actually even more of a disgrace is that I’ve booked a single cabin on Marella Dream Departing Malaga 15 March 2020 . Cruise only (no flights) as I live near Malaga and the fare is £1189 . So there’s not even a reduction for not taking flights. On top of which I paid £48 to choose my cabin. Looking at the deck plan I’ve prebooked on deck10 . I think they was probably money well spent rather than being allocated deck 4 or 5 and being shoehorned into the pointed end . 

Edited by glynandkath

Ditto, I have also booked a single cabin on deck 10 of Dream after previously being allocated a very noisy aft cabin which seemed to be directly over the engines. I have also previously been allocated a cabin in the very pointy end of Explorer 2 with a porthole instead of a window. So not only do we pay a lot extra for a single cabin but they can be in a difficult part of the ship, so then they fleece us an extra £48 to make sure we get a decent cabin (/rant mode off).

13 hours ago, pgilc1 said:

??

£1197  is the cheapest from my nearest airport, Newcastle for March 2020.

8 hours ago, GOQ said:

I think you must have picked out the cheapest cruise on the whole web site to get that price, BTW it's £1232 from Cardiff.

I think you're missing my point somewhat.

The O/P spoke of Dream, March 2020 and £1900+ for single occupancy.  I was seeing £1175 +/- £50 on Dream for March 2010 and single occupancy.

Certainly not £2100.

I think Cruise lines have a small amount of single occupancy rooms / rooms they are prepared to sell as single occupancy and after those are gone they charge pretty much full room rate after that.

Edited by pgilc1

24 minutes ago, Tizzy-Jo said:

£1197  is the cheapest from my nearest airport, Newcastle for March 2020.

Again, you're missing the point.

The O/P has been quoted £2,100.  I'm saying i'm seeing £1175 +/- £50 across the entire month for Dream, March 2020.

Maybe I am missing your point, it's just that I assumed the initial post didn't mention the couple v single price of £1200 v £2100 as referring to Dream. For the Dream cruise you quote the couple v single price is £774 v £1232 and the winter Dream cruises tend to be the cheapest in the catalog.

Edited by GOQ
X

22 minutes ago, GOQ said:

Maybe I am missing your point, it's just that I assumed the initial post didn't mention the couple v single price of 

£1200 v £2100 as referring to Dream. For the Dream cruise you quote the couple v single price is £774 v £1232.

Hence why i asked the O/P to clarify.  

However the O/P made specific reference to Dream - "the single supplement charged for Dream is an absolute disgrace" and then went on to say the know the singles rooms are very small and up front on Dream and then went on to say they were being charged £2100 for March 2020.

Maybe i'm adding 2+2 and getting 5.

If it is Dream, then if they could give us the specific cruise / departure point / date then we could check and compare for them and it may well be worth a call to Marella or a broker or to one of their retail units.

Now, if it turns out its not Dream they were quoting for, then clearly the cruise they were quoting for has sold out its small number of single occupancy rooms / quota and they are being quoted for single occupancy in a double room.

The trick then would be to find a cruise that has not yet sold out its single room occupancy - Dream for all of March 2020 it seems might be a good starting point.

Lets be honest Marella are running a business here and a single person in a twin occupancy room loses them money.  They may well also have statistical evidence that the level of upgrades / trips / paid for restaurants / spend on the cruise by a single person is less.  Not saying they do that, but it wouldnt surprise me if they adjusted prices accordingly based on that.

Edited by pgilc1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FIFE1 said:

Our friend has to book a single cabin & its defo a single and some of the prices are a disgrace

Several things spring to mind :-

• They dont "have" to.  No one "has" to go on a cruise.  If you cant get the right deal at the right price, dont go.
  • There seem to be reasonable deals out there  - like the five i listed covering March next year.  It might be best to adapt a flexible approach to destination and see what is cheapest when and do that.  By the looks of it, book as far in advance as possible, pay the minimum deposit and thus get the price fixed.
  • Its clear cruise lines dont particularly want a load of solo travellers on the boats, for whatever reason.  They are running a business, its their ship so they can price accordingly.