WakeUp Copenhagen Borgegade

Anyone have experience with this hotel?  We will be in Copenhagen next summer for 2 nights before our cruise and see this hotel is rather inexpensive but appears to be clean and in a good location.  There will be 3 of us (myself, DH and teen son).  I did notice the rooms seem very small but we could get a family room which is 2 regular rooms.  Since we will be sightseeing most of the time the hotel is just a place to sleep.  Just would like to know if you have stayed here how was it?  Are the rooms so small that you can’t move around?  Where can you put luggage?  Does the hotel charge to store luggage if you get there before check in?

Does anyone have other recommendations that are reasonably priced and close to train/metro?

Thanks!

Cabinn has smaaaaaal rooms so avoid them.

But notice that Wakeup Borgergade is currently expanding in the back yard, I don´t know of it creates any noise issues, but look at current reviews at tripadvisor.

It should tell if its an issue or not.

But else Wakeup has 2 other locations in the other end of the downtown area,

We stayed at the Wakeup Borgegade 3 years ago before our Baltic cruise and it was a GEM!  The room was smaller than your standard American hotel room, but I looked at it as just getting me ready for the size of our cabin on our cruise ship.  But, the room is well-designed and you won't feel cramped.   And we had no problem with storage for our 2 carry-on suitcases (which is all  that we had).

The hotel does offer luggage storage for a cost of 20 DKK per locker.  In our case, even though we arrived early in the morning from our transatlantic flight, we were able to check into our room and did not have to pay to store our luggage.    See the FAQs:  https://www.wakeupcopenhagen.com/faq#/

We loved this hotel!   The location was great --  we were able to use public transportation to get from the airport and to Oceankaj  and we could walk to the various attractions.  The lobby had a bank of computers which were free to use.  The lobby also had some fun and funky seating.  The backyard was a quiet refuge, but the current construction may mean there's not a backyard next year (hope not!)  And, finally, the breakfast buffet is well worth the cost.  You can probably eat enough to keep you full until dinner -- even your teen son! 

Since you aren't traveling until next summer, I expect the current construction will be completed but it would be worth checking Trip Advisor before you book to verify. 

Its an old parking garage out to Adelgade street that they have demolished to make way for 270 more rooms. 

So its not the backyard itself so that should still be there. 

All the webpages I have looked at says that it will be finished summer 2020.

So when this is done Wakeup Borgergade will have 768 rooms and be the 3rd biggest in Copenhagen. 

Edited by Danish viking

12 hours ago, GradUT said:

We stayed at the Wakeup Borgegade 3 years ago before our Baltic cruise and it was a GEM!  The room was smaller than your standard American hotel room, but I looked at it as just getting me ready for the size of our cabin on our cruise ship.  But, the room is well-designed and you won't feel cramped.   And we had no problem with storage for our 2 carry-on suitcases (which is all  that we had).

The hotel does offer luggage storage for a cost of 20 DKK per locker.  In our case, even though we arrived early in the morning from our transatlantic flight, we were able to check into our room and did not have to pay to store our luggage.    See the FAQs:  https://www.wakeupcopenhagen.com/faq#/

We loved this hotel!   The location was great --  we were able to use public transportation to get from the airport and to Oceankaj  and we could walk to the various attractions.  The lobby had a bank of computers which were free to use.  The lobby also had some fun and funky seating.  The backyard was a quiet refuge, but the current construction may mean there's not a backyard next year (hope not!)  And, finally, the breakfast buffet is well worth the cost.  You can probably eat enough to keep you full until dinner -- even your teen son! 

Since you aren't traveling until next summer, I expect the current construction will be completed but it would be worth checking Trip Advisor before you book to verify. 

Thank you for your detailed reply.  I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will definitely consider this.  Compared to other hotels I’ve looked at the price is very good.

4 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Its an old parking garage out to Adelgade street that they have demolished to make way for 270 more rooms. 

So its not the backyard itself so that should still be there. 

All the webpages I have looked at says that it will be finished summer 2020.

So when this is done Wakeup Borgergade will have 768 rooms and be the 3rd biggest in Copenhagen. 

Thank you for your reply.  I had no idea this hotel was so big and then to add that many more rooms.  Wow!  If I do book this hotel I’ll have to keep checking on the construction status.

Stayed there three years ago before our TA cruise.  The room was small, but immaculate and so well-organized we never felt cramped. Also, a great location as you can avoid pricey cabs by taking the local metro from the airport. It lets you off at a stop only a few blocks from the hotel. From the hotel it is an easy walk to the famous Nyhavn district where we had a fabulous (and reasonable, for Copenhagen) dinner at nearby Christianshavns Faegecafe (which is off the beaten tourist track). Turn right just before the bridge to Paper Island and walk a a short distance where you will find the cafe  located on a small canal.

Edited by lynncarol

I was also looking at some hotels that are in the Vesterbro area.  Is this area nice and suitable for families?  I have read some things so not sure if it’s appropriate for my teen son.  There are quite a few hotels in this area that look nice so wanted to find out from others.

It is a former red light district and you can probably still see some remains of it at Istedgade. 

But I'm guessing that the internet has killed most of these kinds of shops. 

You might run into a prostitute or 2 late at night but its my understanding that they are not that aggressive or proactive like you see other places. 

The many reviews I have seen from the hotels closer to or on Vesterbrogade (like Scandic Webers) doesn't mention it all all so I'm guessing that you have to look for it to see it. 

10 hours ago, Danish viking said:

It is a former red light district and you can probably still see some remains of it at Istedgade. 

But I'm guessing that the internet has killed most of these kinds of shops. 

You might run into a prostitute or 2 late at night but its my understanding that they are not that aggressive or proactive like you see other places. 

The many reviews I have seen from the hotels closer to or on Vesterbrogade (like Scandic Webers) doesn't mention it all all so I'm guessing that you have to look for it to see it. 

Thanks Danish Viking!  Your posts are very helpful

Hi all!

I too stayed there 2 years ago for a night before my Baltic cruise & found it to be a great place. It was close to transportation & places like Nynhavn & the castle with the changing of the guards. I bought the Copenhagen card & took public transportation there from the airport & over to Tivoli, a place I really enjoyed & hope to revisit next year.

The breakfast buffet was quite nice here as was the room, although a bit small. GradUT was right on with his description.

I want to point out the fact there are 2 other Wakeups caused my travel companion difficulty when public transportation was reduced for a holiday & she walked to the wrong hotel! That was worrisome as she'd stayed at a hostel near Tivoli & I was concerned for her!

Next year I'm trying to decide about going to Wakeup B again or trying Hotel Bethel.

Any comment on that please Danish viking?

~ Jo ~ 😊