What happens to Silversea’s 11-day (10-night) South Africa Cruise?

dreamercruise

I read a review on this cruise by someone who took it in 2016, and want to take a similar cruise (preferably under 20 days).  Do not find such a cruise on Silverseas website.  Am I missing something?  If not available, is a similar cruise offered by another cruiseline comparable to Silverseas?

On 7/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, dreamercruise said:

I read a review on this cruise by someone who took it in 2016, and want to take a similar cruise (preferably under 20 days).  Do not find such a cruise on Silverseas website.  Am I missing something?  If not available, is a similar cruise offered by another cruiseline comparable to Silverseas?

Silversea, as do many of the smaller fleet luxury lines, does a lot of one-off cruises that never get exactly repeated again.   We did a 14-day Barcelona to Istanbul cruise in 2012 that, even without the few months when cruise lines were avoiding Turkey, has never been repeated.   You can kind of duplicate it but it’s a case of finding a couple of back-to-back cruises to book.  The other aspect is that the cruise didn’t sell well and may have been shelved because of that.

Edited by Randyk47

Hm, interesting. We did this itinerary in 2011 on Silver Wind, and it had been around for a while - certainly for a few years before, and several years since then. So I don't think that this particular itinerary was a one-off, though Randy is certainly right that this can happen. Now that I think about it more, I wonder if this itinerary fell victim to the Wind's move from the classic fleet, to the expedition fleet?

Maybe they don't have the capacity to offer it, with one less ship in the classic fleet? Or they just don't think it would be worth doing on a bigger ship like Shadow or Whisper (wouldn't sell out)? Or they need to wait for Moon et al to come on board before they can move Shadow or Whisper to that route? So, stay tuned, I guess, anything is possible.

BTW we did enjoy this itinerary so it would be nice to see it back. Though I'll tell you that you don't need a cruise ship to see South Africa; it's maybe even more enjoyable by land.