FTTF vs Suite

tw67

I am trying to come up with a good reason why I would get FTTF for this cruise.  Four day, out of Miami, ports are Key West and Cozumel, on Sensation.  No tender involved.  We are not platinum or diamond and won't be for a very long time.  We do have a suite this time (sshhh I have surprised my family with this, they have no idea).  With the suite, we do get priority check in, but I realize that doesn't mean we get to the room early, that would only be with FTTF.  Usually when we board we eat lunch, and get a drink.  We don't usually carry on that much, so I can't see that I really would benefit from getting to our room any quicker, and I am sure I will have time later in the day/evening to put my clothes away, so I don't feel like I need this.  With a suite I realize I don't get the short line at guest services if I need anything.  Typically, I don't need anything, but if I do, I am sure waiting a few minutes in line won't bother me.  At least not $50 worth of bothering me. 

What am I missing? I just can't see that I would need this.  I wish when my kids were younger they had it, I could so see with having little ones, all their stuff,  and nap time, that it might have been nice. 

Since we never had a suite before, I have always arrived right around the check in time I picked, and have usually gotten the first one available.  How do I know what time check in time actually starts, so that I can be there as early as possible? 

What other FTTF benefit am I missing that doesn't come with a suite? 

Thanks!! 

I don't think there is any.  Personally, if you sprung for a suite I wouldn't worry about early room access.  You may even be able to sneak to your room to see if you can drop your bags off...it being a suite they steward may let you.

We had a suite in January on the Vista for the first time and the only benefits FTTF has are getting into your room before 1:30 and the VIP line at the Guest Services desk.
That's all.

11 minutes ago, ishap said:

I don't think there is any.  Personally, if you sprung for a suite I wouldn't worry about early room access.  You may even be able to sneak to your room to see if you can drop your bags off...it being a suite they steward may let you.

We accidentally did this.
Didn't realize beforehand that the Suite Priority Embarkation didn't include early room access and we went to our room as soon as we got on the ship.
Our room steward said hi, got our preferences and told us to enjoy the launch! (didn't say we weren't supposed to be back there yet)
Ignorance was bliss, however now that I know I wouldn't do it.

Edited by Chervil

2 hours ago, ishap said:

Thank you.  I don't know if I would even try, it was just never that important to me.  We usually get a drink, eat, get another drink, get to know the ship.  Sometimes do a tour of the spa and gym. 

2 hours ago, Chervil said:

We had a suite in January on the Vista for the first time and the only benefits FTTF has are getting into your room before 1:30 and the VIP line at the Guest Services desk.
That's all.

Thank you.  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I over looked.  What time did you arrive for your check in?  Did you feel like it was early enough?

2 hours ago, Chervil said:

We accidentally did this.
Didn't realize beforehand that the Suite Priority Embarkation didn't include early room access and we went to our room as soon as we got on the ship.
Our room steward said hi, got our preferences and told us to enjoy the launch! (didn't say we weren't supposed to be back there yet)
Ignorance was bliss, however now that I know I wouldn't do it.

That was nice that he didn't give you a hard time. 

3 hours ago, tw67 said:

Thank you.  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I over looked.  What time did you arrive for your check in?  Did you feel like it was early enough?

We arrived a little after 12 and were through the line in about 10-15 minutes.
So it was about 12:30 or so when we boarded.
The doors to the corridor were closed with the sign about rooms not being available until 1:30, so we just pushed past.

That line being separate really speeds you through!
We always get a baclony, but only booked a suite since it was our adult daughter's first cruise and wanted the extra space.
Boy did we enjoy the perk though!
FTTF was sold out for our cruise in October or we would have bought it for sure!

3 hours ago, tw67 said:

He was fantastic!
Always greeted us by name when he saw us the whole week and took the time to ask our preferences in things.
(Like on a port day if we wanted extra towels when we returned, etc.)

Very genial and engaging.
Which really impressed our daughter.
She doesn't like being stuck to a schedule or told where to go and when, so she actively resisted going on a cruise with us until this last year (it was our anniversary so we told her that would be her gift to us!).
She loved it (still prefers to just drive or fly somewhere, though) and said she loved being "pampered" the whole week.
Even got a little emotional when we saw our steward the last time! Said she was going to miss him.

29 minutes ago, Chervil said:

We arrived a little after 12 and were through the line in about 10-15 minutes.
So it was about 12:30 or so when we boarded.
The doors to the corridor were closed with the sign about rooms not being available until 1:30, so we just pushed past.

That line being separate really speeds you through!
We always get a baclony, but only booked a suite since it was our adult daughter's first cruise and wanted the extra space.
Boy did we enjoy the perk though!
FTTF was sold out for our cruise in October or we would have bought it for sure!

We usually get two different cabins.  Sometimes my husband and I in a balcony, and the boys in an inside across the hall.  We only booked this a few weeks ago for my son's 21st birthday.  He graduates from college in May, and honestly, this could be our last trip with the four of us, and no guarantees on family vacations.  We originally booked in a regular balcony, but it was one without a sofa, so two bunks, and then the bed wouldn't become a king.  I was just feeling very overwhelmed with 4 of us in that small room!!!

Edited by tw67
hit save to early!

20 minutes ago, Dicecatt said:

What a nice surprise for your family! 

Thank you!  I hope so.  A few thinks in life were happening all at the same time, had some not great health news, so I said I am doing it!  It is just 4 days, but I want to be comfortable!  Everyone will have to realize this is just a one time thing, and not to expect it again!!

7 minutes ago, tw67 said:

We usually get two different cabins.  Sometimes my husband and I in a balcony, and the boys in an inside across the hall.  We only booked this a few weeks ago for my son's 21st birthday.  He graduates from college in May, and honestly, this could be our last trip with the four of us, and no guarantees on family vacations.  We originally booked in a regular balcony, but it was one without a sofa, so two bunks, and then the bed wouldn't become a king.  I was just feeling very overwhelmed with 4 of us in that small room!!!

That is why we booked a suite with our daughter.
It was cheaper than booking her a room alone, but being 23, it wasn't right to make her sleep on the little couch.
Fortunately the suite has a nice sized convertible sofa.

This is a great surprise for your family and an awesome thing to do!
I remember when I was about to leave home at 19, we took a week long roadtrip as a family since it would be our last family trip for a while.
Booked the first two nights at a cottage at our favorite lake, then just winged it, traveling through East Texas, Louisiana and up into Arkansas.
Had a great time and made lots of family memories.
I know your family will enjoy it!
Great job!

4 hours ago, tw67 said:

General rule of thumb....people whose income is tip dependent, are reluctant to be confrontational with those whom they are desiring said tip.  Doesn’t mean he wasn’t bother by the early arrival, just that he isn’t going to risk losing income to express that disapproval.