How is snorkeling at El Cid?

mitsugirly

We are doing an excursion that brings their cruisers back to El Cid after the excursion (or back to our port, which is Punta Langosta). Anyone that knows me, I would prefer to go somewhere after the excursion instead of going back to the ship if there's plenty of time left. 

I've seen pictures, but haven't found anyone that really stated how the snorkeling is there? It looks like an ironshore type of beach (man made) so is it decent or comparable to something like the Money Bar?

Anyone know the cost of a taxi from there (near International I think) to Punta Langosta? (There's 3 of us). 

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

We are doing an excursion that brings their cruisers back to El Cid after the excursion (or back to our port, which is Punta Langosta). Anyone that knows me, I would prefer to go somewhere after the excursion instead of going back to the ship if there's plenty of time left. 

I've seen pictures, but haven't found anyone that really stated how the snorkeling is there? It looks like an ironshore type of beach (man made) so is it decent or comparable to something like the Money Bar?

Anyone know the cost of a taxi from there (near International I think) to Punta Langosta? (There's 3 of us). 

Thanks in advance. 

Can’t  answer snorkeling question but taxi fare will be $8.

Since it is just a “filler” why not consider just walking to No Name Bar or Jeannie’s if you still feel like snorkeling when you get back to Langosta? Then you are in control of your timing to walk back when you have finished instead of getting caught up in traffic. 

No Name has a pool like El Cid, none at Jeannie’s.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:30 PM, c-leg5 said:

Can’t  answer snorkeling question but taxi fare will be $8.

Since it is just a “filler” why not consider just walking to No Name Bar or Jeannie’s if you still feel like snorkeling when you get back to Langosta? Then you are in control of your timing to walk back when you have finished instead of getting caught up in traffic. 

No Name has a pool like El Cid, none at Jeannie’s.

Thanks for the price of the taxi.

How far of a walk is it back from No Name or Jeannies? What type of snorkeling is there? Is it an ironshore type of beach? Since No Name has a pool, would there be an entrance fee?

On 7/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, crewsweeper said:

You realize that El CID is down by the International pier. Not sure I'd  want to snorkel  there.  A little closer is Sunset Beach. Almost walkable

http://www.sunsetcozumel.com/

Yes, I realize it is by International. The only reason I was asking about it is because that's where our excursion takes everyone afterwards. They have a "contract" with El Cid to be able to use their facilities, pool, and loungers for free. But it would be our responsibility to pay for a taxi to get back to Punta Langosta if we decided to go there with everyone else. I know after the excursion, the hubby will probably want to relax, so he will need a lounger. My daughter and I, well we can never get enough of the water and snorkeling so....

You said Sunset Beach is "almost walkable"?? Do they charge for entrance or chairs? Is snorkeling better there? How long would it take to walk there?

We are told we will finish the excursion around 1:30-2pm. I'm not sure if that meant finishing the actual excursion or finished as in will be dropped off at El Cid type of finished.

We are in port until 5pm, so need to be back on the ship by 4:30 and wondering if there will be enough time for walking anywhere if we decide to get dropped off at our pier instead.

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Thanks for the price of the taxi.

How far of a walk is it back from No Name or Jeannies? What type of snorkeling is there? Is it an ironshore type of beach? Since No Name has a pool, would there be an entrance fee?

According to Google maps - 3 mins to No Name (at Hotel Barracuda) 0.2 miles. Jeannies Almost next door. No entrance fee to either, Google for photos.

Can’t attest  to quality of snorkeling, we only eat and drink there.

This link may be if interest to you for the future -  mentions Barracuda 

https://cozumelmycozumel.com/cozumel-snorkeling-from-shore/

Edited by c-leg5

You said Sunset Beach is "almost walkable"?? Do they charge for entrance or chairs? Is snorkeling better there? How long would it take to walk there?

There's no fee at Sunset either.  And you can access the  water easily if you have your own gear.  They do rent and also have scuba trips.  http://www.sunsetcozumel.com/

It's been a while since I was in San Miguel, but surely something has taken over the old Margaritaville and Sr Frogs sites near Punta Langosta.  And  name escapes me but thought Wet Wendy's had a beach bar near there.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:37 PM, c-leg5 said:

According to Google maps - 3 mins to No Name (at Hotel Barracuda) 0.2 miles. Jeannies Almost next door. No entrance fee to either, Google for photos.

Can’t attest  to quality of snorkeling, we only eat and drink there.

This link may be if interest to you for the future -  mentions Barracuda 

https://cozumelmycozumel.com/cozumel-snorkeling-from-shore/

Thanks leg! I did do a "street walk" on google and that looks like a decent short walk and one that we would definitely be comfortable with. I guess my only question now is...is the only way to get out to the snorkeling is to enter the restaurant/building and out the back? I always feel like I'm intruding on a place of business when I do this...especially if I have no desire to eat there. I mean we definitely will buy drinks but depending on the actual time we arrive, I'm not sure if we'll buy food or not...maybe. Do you know if you are just coming to snorkel and drink, do you rent chairs?

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

There's no fee at Sunset either.  And you can access the  water easily if you have your own gear.  They do rent and also have scuba trips.  http://www.sunsetcozumel.com/

It's been a while since I was in San Miguel, but surely something has taken over the old Margaritaville and Sr Frogs sites near Punta Langosta.  And  name escapes me but thought Wet Wendy's had a beach bar near there.

When I look this up (Sunset) on google, it looks like it's quite some distance away from the Punta Langosta pier. I don't really think I want to walk that far...especially after just completing an excursion that involves snorkeling and so on. Darnit.

I looked up Wet Wendys and it looks like it's in the opposite direction from No Name and Jeannies and a little further of a walk. Hmm

Yes Wet Wendy's is in town. They have/had a sister place on the beach near PL. Never went there, can't recall the name. May or may not be around. 

Guess NoName is your best bet distance wise. I'd trust C-legs review  since she's been there.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

We didn't get a chance to go because our excursion ran late (not complaining at all) and we had a good time anyhow! 🙂

Glad you enjoyed your excursion. I was concerned about having time after to snorkel which is why I suggested somewhere closer to the port where you had more control over time.

However I hope you find above link useful in the future. 

To to answer your question regarding No Name Bar - yes you enter via the hotel lobby, or the side entrance just beyond- note, it doesn’t look much from the street! Through the building opens into outdoor bar and pool area with tables, chairs and loungers.  Popular with the crew. There would be no problem having only drinks especially if your husband was staying at the seat and drinking while you snorkeled.

Not as familiar with the set-up at Jeannie’s as we had a problem with Happy Hour pricing several years ago and have never been back but I do keep intending to give them a second chance!

Edited by c-leg5

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Glad you enjoyed your excursion. I was concerned about having time after to snorkel which is why I suggested somewhere closer to the port where you had more control over time.

However I hope you find above link useful in the future. 

To to answer your question regarding No Name Bar - yes you enter via the hotel lobby, or the side entrance just beyond- note, it doesn’t look much from the street! Through the building opens into outdoor bar and pool area with tables, chairs and loungers.  Popular with the crew. There would be no problem having only drinks especially if your husband was staying at the seat and drinking while you snorkeled.

Not as familiar with the set-up at Jeannie’s as we had a problem with Happy Hour pricing several years ago and have never been back but I do keep intending to give them a second chance!

Thanks. I was only considering going somewhere because they said we would be done with the tour by 1 and back to the place or port by 1:30pm. So, I figured we had enough time to check out some place near.