First time cruiser looking for "Escape" tips

We board NCL's "Escape" on Aug 4 for a cruise from NYC to Bermuda. We found the NCL website quite confusing and we spoke with 5 different NCL representatives who mostly gave us conflicting information. Despite all this, we are excited and can't wait for our first cruise. I've poured through the forum on here and found tons of great information. Still  - a couple of questions and am open to any advice and pearls of wisdom from experienced cruisers.

Question 1: Does the "Escape" have metal walls and should I stock up on magnetic hooks as many have advised?

Question 2: Do they hold back a certain percentage of specialty restaurant reservations for boarding day (we've had trouble booking them on-line)?

Questions 3: Best place for our family of 4 adults to hang out in a relatively peaceful manner on deck?

Question 4: Do they provide beach towels or should we bring some?

Any other great tips for onboard or on the island? Many thanks from this newbie for your time.

We will be on the same sailing. Snagged an upgrade from inside to spa balcony, can't wait. 

1. I can't remember

2. I have read a few conflicting reports but heard only 30% is presale

3. One word WATERFRONT

4. Yes they provide each guest a breach towel that you can exchange for a fresh one whenever you like. 

• Like 1

Make your show reservations online if you can. About the restaurant reservations, book these online as well, even if it is a bad time for you. It is easier to adjust the time if you already have something in place. Either way make your reservations or time adjustments ASAP after you board. Make your comedy club reservations as soon as you board too. These can only be made on the ship. If you are having problems with the website you can call and make all your reservations over the phone. They will send you an email to confirm. Take a copy with you. I am almost certain the walls are metal. Hooks always come in handy.  If you have two different reservation numbers have them link them which can be done over the phone. Not sure if you can do that online as I have never tried.

Mary Ann

• Like 2

Also, check out Food Republic.  It was our favorite dining spot on the ship.  I only wish they had longer hours.  FYI, it is not free though.  But I felt the quality of the food and the variety was worth the price. In 2017 the a la carte charges were nominal----$3 or $4 or $6 for a dish, but seeing that NCL has raised prices they may be higher than that now. I still suggest to try it at least once. It was that good.

22 hours ago, onthewingsofsong said:

We board NCL's "Escape" on Aug 4 for a cruise from NYC to Bermuda. We found the NCL website quite confusing and we spoke with 5 different NCL representatives who mostly gave us conflicting information. Despite all this, we are excited and can't wait for our first cruise. I've poured through the forum on here and found tons of great information. Still  - a couple of questions and am open to any advice and pearls of wisdom from experienced cruisers.

Question 1: Does the "Escape" have metal walls and should I stock up on magnetic hooks as many have advised?

Question 2: Do they hold back a certain percentage of specialty restaurant reservations for boarding day (we've had trouble booking them on-line)?

Questions 3: Best place for our family of 4 adults to hang out in a relatively peaceful manner on deck?

Any other great tips for onboard or on the island? Many thanks from this newbie for your time.

1.  Not sure on this note - sorry.

2.  Only a small (less than half) portion of reservations are released pre cruise.  First day, use the app or go to reservation location (I don't know exact location but will be listed in Daily) to make you reservations.  I have some place holding reservations but they all need adjustments (number of people, time forward or back by 30 minutes or so)...  Some people have luck using the app in the terminal before they even board, to book shows and dining reservations.

3. Waterfront is awesome!  If you are looking for more deck experience (i.e. deck chairs), deck 19 forward (port side) has chairs, 2 hot tubs and a bar.  (Vibe and Haven are Starboard side).  Beginning of the cruise this should be quieter until people find it.

4.  They provide and exchange towels.  You will have them in your room.  You can exchange them on deck at towel stations.

Have an amazing trip!

The Escape is our favorite ship! Magnetic hooks will work, but they need to be very strong. I like to use the touch screens to book dining and show reservations. You'll find the screens on every floor at the stairs. Choir of Man is a MUST see - best show ever! We also really enjoy Howl at the Moon.

Escape is our favorite ship.

1 - don't know.  Found storage in mini suite  cabin to be adequate but we were two not four in the cabin 

2 - agree with poster who said it is easier to adjust reservations than not have any at all. Make reservations as soon as you board.  Then head to the dining room, not the buffet, for a relaxing lunch. (We were on the 4th sailing of the BA and I didn't do enough research on reservations, so I felt as if I spent an entire day standing in lines.)   If there are 4 of you, consider one person making dinner reservations another making comedy show reservations etc.   Check the boards if anyone has posted the dailies to help you plan 

3 - loved Vibe but if that's not an option, Deck 19 outside Vibe is a wonderful option.  Waterfront is great especially early in the morning for a coffee and tranquility. Note that it can be breezy to downright windy on deck 19 - if you have those giant plastic clips to hold your towels in place, they came in handy.  Very cheap on Amazon and probably other websites. 

4 - plenty of towels.  Speak to room steward if you need extras to go ashore

Enjoy your cruise.  Bermuda is beautiful.   The Escape is wonderful.   

• Thanks 1

We (4 adults) are cruising on the Escape next month and love the idea of quieter places to relax and read. I've looked at the deck plans and cannot seem to locate an area called the Waterfront. Where is it? 

6 minutes ago, millie8 said:

We (4 adults) are cruising on the Escape next month and love the idea of quieter places to relax and read. I've looked at the deck plans and cannot seem to locate an area called the Waterfront. Where is it? 

Deck 8.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/escape/deck-plans

If you Google "NCL Escape Waterfront" you will see many photos and videos.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, oncruisecontrol said:

Also, check out Food Republic.  It was our favorite dining spot on the ship.  I only wish they had longer hours.  FYI, it is not free though.  But I felt the quality of the food and the variety was worth the price. In 2017 the a la carte charges were nominal----$3 or $4 or $6 for a dish, but seeing that NCL has raised prices they may be higher than that now. I still suggest to try it at least once. It was that good.

Still not "free", but four dishes per person at Food Republic is now covered by the Specialty Dining Package. The prices per dish are still reasonable enough that I prefer to pay a la carte for lunch on a sea day, but at least there's the option of using SDP!

How does Margaritaville work?  I hear something about a $15 cover fee.  What does that cover on the menu?  Are you able to get an appetizer, entree, and dessert?  Can you get 2 entrees?  Thanks for your help.  I want to make sure I'll get my money's worth if I pay $15 up front.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:17 AM, onthewingsofsong said:

Q1 Not really sure. We usually have enough space in the wardrobes and drawers.

Q2 We booked our speciality reservations as soon as we boarded. There are tables from all the different restaurants and a Maitre D' in Headliners comedy club on Deck 6. We were expecting a large queue but were pleasantly surprised at how few people were there booking their meals.

Q3 Waterfront (Deck 8)

Q4 Beach Towels are usually in your stateroom, if not then just mention it to your steward and they soon will be.

As previously mentioned try to make reservations for shows as soon as you can. Make the most of the free NCL ferry to St. Georges when on the Island. Most of all just relax and enjoy your first cruise. You'll find things that you like that may never be mentioned here. Part of the joy of cruising, for me at least, is finding out about the ship I'm on by just wandering round and taking it all in.