Deck Six / PV1 Any Suite better than any else?

Dark Avenger

About ready to book an early August 2020 Stockholm to Bergen Homelands cruise - PV1  Any part of that deck, or any suites on that deck less desirable, or more desirable?  

Close but not too close to the laundry room?  Same for elevators?  Port / Starboard?  Much too anal retentive?  Get a life?  

At least all the ships are the same.  

We stayed in 6011. It was very quiet. That cabin has large window and separate door to veranda. Staying after that in cabins with sliding doors we found we like them better.  I wouldn’t stay more forward - you will be under Explore Lounge.  I would choose starboard for your direction which is better IMHO than reverse. You have better times in ports and in some of them staying longer.

I wouldn’t choose aft cabins due to their location under World Cafe. There will be noise and sometimes smell. Go to website, click on Ships, and check deck and cabins location.

Enjoy! This one is very good cruise. We just loved it! 🥂 

Edited by vnb2003
  • Like 1

We had a PV1 on deck 5 and found it most convenient. We were aft - which is our preferred location. We liked it so much we booked the same cabin for our next cruise. We tried to book for the one after that, but it was taken, so we booked the same location on the other side of the ship. 

I think the general consensus is that the laundry room and elevators are not a problem, other than that it is perhaps best not to be directly across from either one. Two rooms away and there are no issues.  As for port/starboard, that depends on the itinerary. When at sea, the ship is often too far from land for it to make a difference, but you never know. When it appears that one side will have more views of land, we take that side.

As for PV1 and deck 6, I think the questions are why PV1 rather than PV2 or PV3, and why deck 6 rather than deck 5 or deck 4. All PVs are identical in space and benefits. Whether you want to be fore or aft is entirely personal. It might depend on how easily you want to get to the Spa or to the Explorer's Lounge, but otherwise, it is arbitrary. Unless there are mobility issues, which might lead to being very strategic about your location relative to fore/aft public facilities, it is not a mega ship, and all walks are easy. We don't take Deck 6 because we don't want a public space above us. 

The difference between PV cabins that may be of interest is that they have two different designs for access to the veranda. One design has a sliding door, the other a window and a hinged door with a solid wall between them. Most prefer the sliding door for a better view.

We love the Deck Six Aft Staterooms.   This is mainly because there is an overhang above that allows you to be protected (a little from the sun or a light rain).  If you look at the Deck Six deck plan on the Viking website you can see the overhang.  The overhang starts at about Stateroom 6070 on the Port side of the ship and about Stateroom 6071 on the Starboard side of the ship.  The overhang is greater the further back you go.   We prefer the areas from Stateroom 6086 and back on the Port side and 6087 and back on the Starboard side.   We also prefer Staterooms with a sliding glass door.   Putting these two things together it results in us always trying to book Staterooms 6086, 6088, and 6094 on the Port side or Staterooms 6087, 6089, or 6095 on the Starboard side.  The other Staterooms in this area of the ship have a hinged and windowed door with a separate window.  Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

We love the Deck Six Aft Staterooms.   This is mainly because there is an overhang above that allows you to be protected (a little from the sun or a light rain).  If you look at the Deck Six deck plan on the Viking website you can see the overhang.  The overhang starts at about Stateroom 6070 on the Port side of the ship and about Stateroom 6071 on the Starboard side of the ship.  The overhang is greater the further back you go.   We prefer the areas from Stateroom 6086 and back on the Port side and 6087 and back on the Starboard side.   We also prefer Staterooms with a sliding glass door.   Putting these two things together it results in us always trying to book Staterooms 6086, 6088, and 6094 on the Port side or Staterooms 6087, 6089, or 6095 on the Starboard side.  The other Staterooms in this area of the ship have a hinged and windowed door with a separate window.  Hope this helps.

I agree - we stayed in 6073 and it was great.

We’ve been in PV-1’s on four cruises and always forward of the forward elevators.  Very quiet, very little traffic and the forward stairs and elevators are usually very uncrowded.  We have never had any noise issues at all.  As mentioned by VNB2003, we also prefer the cabins with slider doors.  Of the forward cabins, and not counting 6000 and 6001 (which I think are too close to the bridge “wings” when out on the balcony), the slider cabins are 6006, 6007, 6008, 6009, 6014 and 6015.  I’m not sure where I read it, but I have a note that says to avoid 6061, 6063, 6060 and 6062 near the rear elevators due to noise.  I haven’t stayed in those cabins, so can’t verify that they might be noisy, but I just throw it out there for what it’s worth. 

We loved our PV1 room, aft and Starboard side.  Actually, really aft...only four rooms away form the end.  World Cafe was not an issue.  Only one time did we hear furniture being moved but it was outside furniture we thought.  It was a very convenient place and we loved it.