Family cruise to the Bahamas

Sixfoot7man

My family and I will be going on the Carnival Liberty to Bahamas on August 12th. This will be our kids first cruise (9 and 6 years old). We will be bring my wife’s parents as well who haven’t cruised before either (both 67 years old). We want to book an excursion at Freeport because of the port but not sure which one. Suggestions? Alternative suggestions?

My wife wants to explore Nassau by foot and taxi (Queen’s Staircase, the Fort near by, and a Zoo on the island (Ardastra). Is it safe to walk to these places with 2 kids and 2 grandparents? 

Last question- What beach would you suggest for 2 kids and 2 older adults that’s within walking distance or a short taxi ride from the Nassau Port. Grandma wants to go find shells. I would love to snorkel. 

Appreciate all the suggestions and tips provided. My wife and I haven't cruised in almost 10 years. Thanks in advance

My family and I have walked to all the places in Nassau that you mentioned and never had a problem.  I've heard there are safety issues near the fish fry but only during the nighttime...there are alternative streets you can use to walk to Ardastra Gardens so that you don't have to walk near there if you choose.  The only public beach that is very close to the port (about a 10-15 min walk) is Junkanoo.  For a nice relaxing day at the beach with the family, we have gotten the day passes at the British Colonial Hilton.  A bit pricey but they give you vouchers for food and drinks to offset some of the cost and it is never crowded which is a plus.

As far as Freeport goes, I've never done a true excursion.  We either take a taxi to Lucaya and go to the beach there and do a little shopping or just stay on the ship.  have a great cruise!

• Like 1

Keep in mind there will be a lot of walking going to the places you describe and the weather will be very hot. I don’t know what kind of physical condition your wife’s parents are in but take this into consideration. Melia and British Colonial Hilton both sell day passes to cruise passengers which includes lunch. There is also a beach near the cruise port called Junkanoo that I understand is free but I have never been there myself.

As an alternative you might consider a beach excursion that the cruise ship offers. This way your transportation to the beach will be included.

enjoy your cruise😎

• Like 1

You may want to consider a private tour.  Check out Cheryl's Bahamas Taxi and Tours.  They will take you around the entire island including all of the spots you are asking about - and more.  It's well worth the price and you get a tour guide with an air conditioned and nice van.  We have done the tour ourselves and can't recommend it highly enough.

• Thanks 1