Song of America

Like so many others who responded, Song of America was our first cruise, too.  It was June 1997  to Bermuda.  Everything about that cruise was "magical", except our boarding.  When we arrived at the pier a huge storm blew in and lighting struck the gangway and it broke off from the pier.  Now, I was afraid that this was a horrible "omen" for us not to get on!  Fortunately no one was on the gangway at that moment because of the lighting.  We had no electricity for 2 hours and could not board the ship - there were about 150 of us who had to board yet.  They moved the ship to the next pier.  Ken Rush(who was with us on the pier) was our Cruise director and he told all of us not to worry, they won't leave without us because they needed him on board - LOL!  After that "sail-away", the next 29 have all been a breeze!  

Oh, and I will never forget the very small, small rooms.  We had to turn sideways to squeeze through the room.  All the beds had to be singles - no room to double them!

Edited by SailingSal

12 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

Yes as we have sailed on the SON in 91 on her southern Caribbean itinerary. This was a year after sailing on SOS., so imagine our shock. 

Our first cruise was on the SS Norway and its elegance was very evident. Being a converted transatlantic liner was something to see.

Once the SOS came out the SON went to western Caribbean cruises until MOS was launched in 92. Nor sure if she went to the southern Caribbean or not. 

Nice. Amazing at the time going on brand new Sovereign which at time was Largest Cruise ship in the World. But we could have gone on SS Norway, this before they added the extra Decks, would have enjoyed sailing a Classic Ocean Liner at least once. Remember seeing her have to Tender at Ports other ships didnt need to due to her deep Draft

13 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Our first cruise.  Honeymoon in October '87 so same itinerary. Remember hitting golf balls off the back deck, the 1/3 sized basketball court, outside grill, and of course the Viking Lounge.  I will always have the this heavy accented announcement  ingrained in my memory: "Dinner now being served in Madam Butterfly". 

And shooting skeet off the aft deck!