Multiple rooms - key access

Reef Dreamer

Hi

We are soon going on the sapphire princess . We have two cabins, one for our children and one for us - both opposite each other. But of course we have had to ‘book’ the cabins with an adult in each.

ideally we would like the keys to be changed so that the adults have access to both cabins, and the children to their cabin, or both cabins as well.

Does anyone have experience of this (having access to more than one cabin, and changing an adult from one cabin) or know whether it can be achieved?

thanks for your help

We do this every cruise for many years.   They do it no problem.  

Just goto purser's desk when you embark. They check Cards for the persons in the rooms to make sure you are actually together.    They will make an extra card that is just a  "room key" for the rooms.  We write only the last digit of the room number, or "i" for inside or something in code on the back so we know which one opens which door.  

How we do it is that each person has their original key card which they use for ID, purchasing, muster etc, then a second key card that is just a room key for the other room on the booking.  

Then depending on which room you are actually registered in, you have one card for the room you are sleeping in and one card for the other room.  

Yes we each carry 2 room cards but it works ok.  

Be careful though, if you carry the cards so the magnetic stripes are against one another, they stop working sooner than if you reverse them so the mag stripes don't touch.  Not scientific but thats my personal observation.  🙂 

We also introduce ourselves as a family to our steward, let them know to tell us if there are any issues with the kids, and we make sure the kids get their cabin ready (tidied up and available) so the steward can do their job properly.  

I've read from other posters here that once the ship is medallion, they can program the medallions to open two cabins - We will find out first hand about this on our next cruise as we'll need that then.   

When you check in, also check that you are all in same muster station, occasionally cabins that look like they are opposite on the deckplans are little offset and have different muster stations.  I had this happen when travelling with my parents (both disabled),  pursers desk changed my muster point to match theirs.