Difference between A La Carte and Specialty Dining

Mckbeth212

The a la carte restaurants (like Cagney's) are specialty dining venues, it's just that they don't have a fixed cover charge for all your food, they are priced "a la carte" -- so you pay for the individual items that you order.  

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The a la carte restaurants (like Cagney's) are specialty dining venues, it's just that they don't have a fixed cover charge for all your food, they are priced "a la carte" -- so you pay for the individual items that you order.  

This is not correct ......  if you have the SDP then you don't pay for the individual items that you order.  The a la carte menu allows those who do NOT have the SDP to also enjoy the specialty restaurants - they will pay for the individual items that they order. 

Edited by esm54687

2 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

This is not correct ......  if you have the SDP then you don't pay for the individual items that you order.  The a la carte menu allows those who do NOT have the SDP to also enjoy the specialty restaurants - they will pay for the individual items that they order. 

You are correct of course, but that's not what I was addressing.  In the title of this thread, the OP asked "Difference between a la carte and specialty dining," as though the former were not part of the latter.  I was merely explaining what the a la carte restaurants are, and that they are indeed a part of specialty dining.  But you are correct that with the SDP, you don't pay in any of the venues.  But if you don't, there are still venues that have a fixed cover charge, and those (like Cagney's) that are a la carte.   In the former, those without the SDP don't pay by the dishes they order, they pay a fixed price.

48 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You are correct of course, but that's not what I was addressing.  In the title of this thread, the OP asked "Difference between a la carte and specialty dining," as though the former were not part of the latter.  I was merely explaining what the a la carte restaurants are, and that they are indeed a part of specialty dining.  But you are correct that with the SDP, you don't pay in any of the venues.  But if you don't, there are still venues that have a fixed cover charge, and those (like Cagney's) that are a la carte.   In the former, those without the SDP don't pay by the dishes they order, they pay a fixed price.

You've been around for over 10 years and know that the title of a thread doesn't necessarily ask the true question...... the OP asked if they could make reservations at an a la carte specialty restaurant with the SDP thus the former and latter were inclusive. 

Your explanation was spot on if the question was "can I make a reservation at Cagney's if I don't have the SDP" 

3 hours ago, Mckbeth212 said:

Hi.  I am new to NCL and have a promo package of 3 Meal Specialty Dining Package.  Can I make reservations at the A La Cart restaurants as part of my package?  We are sailing on the Star.  Thanks in advance.

Yes you may.  You are welcome in arrears.

6 hours ago, Mckbeth212 said:

Hi.  I am new to NCL and have a promo package of 3 Meal Specialty Dining Package.  Can I make reservations at the A La Cart restaurants as part of my package?  We are sailing on the Star.  Thanks in advance.

You can make reservations at any of the specialty restaurants. It doesn't matter if they are a la carte or fixed price.