Teens on Princess?

keristin24

My family started cruising on princess when I was about 12. As a teenager I always found fun things to do and the teen clubs were great. For us it depended more on the itinerary the shorter cruise or in the summer tended to have more kids our age. Even on a 12 night panama there were still a good amount of young people. 

8 hours ago, keristin24 said:

We've taken our girls (13 &15) on Royal and Carnival before.  We've found an itinerary that we love on the brand new Sky Princess, but have never sailed with Princess.  I'm getting mixed reviews online.  The price and itinerary are great, but concerned that it might be an older crowd and not as fun.  Anyone have thoughts on if our teens will be bored?  ps-They don't participate in the Kids-Clubs.  Thanks!

You are better off on Carnival and RCCL.

46 minutes ago, modes said:

You are better off on Carnival and RCCL.

That is an impossible conclusion to draw without knowing the kids in question. When my daughter was a teen she would have killed me if I booked Carnival, RCCL or Disney. She lived for formal nights and the pictures I have of her in her ball gowns are among my favorites. She loved the more classic and sophisticated atmosphere of Princess. Cartoon characters and rock walls?  No way. 

But I get it that other kids are different. Point is, you simply can’t generalize. 

If your kids are use to Carnival and RCCL, then Princess might be boring for them. No matter how Princess tries to market her ships for families they do not compare to other lines geared for kids.

If they don't join a teens group even more so. I have seen groups of teens having fun together around the ship, but not sure how they met up..I assumed at the teen group.

Spring break will bring more kids on board but it depends what your kids are use to..no dancing at dinner  and games at pool are for older people.  However, if you are lucky enough to get a great cruise director, he/she will do more kids stuff, but no one ever knows who they get as director until close to sailing..

Are you planning to be entertaining them yourself?  Are there a lot of sea days or everyday at a port? How many pools does the new Sky have?  The newer ships have eliminated the upper deck teen pools. 

I enjoy Princess and have sailed her over 25 times, sometimes on spring break.  but I am booking on RCCL with my four grandchildren (ages 13 to 15) because I am concerned they will be bored on Princess.

14 hours ago, keristin24 said:

We've taken our girls (13 &15) on Royal and Carnival before.  We've found an itinerary that we love on the brand new Sky Princess, but have never sailed with Princess.  I'm getting mixed reviews online.  The price and itinerary are great, but concerned that it might be an older crowd and not as fun.  Anyone have thoughts on if our teens will be bored?  ps-They don't participate in the Kids-Clubs.  Thanks!

The kids club will host disco/dance nights for children. I had a 10 year old with me on Princess just last year. There is definitely a lot less to do. No water slides, no party atmosphere like Carnival. It is more relaxed, refined and traditional. There will be games and activities but they are for all passengers so unless they like mixing with an older crowd they may feel uncomfortable in the general events.

Princess is good for kids, but just not a lot of kids. It caters to them but I gather that they are aiming for just the right numbers to not be a family ship but to cater to just the right amount and focus on the older or traditionalist type passengers.

Your teenagers could have a good time if they like lazing by the pool, playing deck games like shuffleboard, deck chess, mini gold and a few pool games. It wont be full on but it will be enough to satisfy people who participate. They may like the movies by the pool and that is about it. Inside the Princess ships it is mainly the bars and entertainment venues.  

We've been sailing Princess with our boys (now 14 & 17) for many years. For them, it is a great fit. They are not into rock walls and zip lines, only the occasional sporty things. My youngest is interested in elevators and gangways (weird quirk) and he loves to film them and put them on YouTube. We have found that there is plenty to do, but if you have more active teens, it may be more of a challenge. 

We usually cruise RCL and my kids do like the activities (rock wall, water slides....).  We are about to take our 2nd Princess cruise.  I tend to select cruises based on the itinerary.  Our last Princess cruise was Alaska.  My kids (who were then 9, 9, and 15) had a blast.  My daughter actually liked the games like trivia better on Princess.  It does depend on what your kids like to do.  My younger son enjoyed the kids club on Princess.  My daughter tends to hang with us and likes doing the trivia and scavenger hunts.

Our upcoming cruise is Quebec to NYC.  The kids are now 15, 15, and 21.  My daughter claims she is going to the teen club to try to find a friend to hang out with.  She does enjoy meeting people from different places, so maybe.  My boys will likely hang with each other, though the younger one may end up in the teen club to see if they have any video games. 🤣  regardless of the cruise line, cruising is still one of my kids favorite vacations (that and Disney)  😁